Author Topic: Autograph Stories  (Read 30326 times)

McCutieBelle

Re: Autograph Stories
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 10:15:29 PM »
LOL! These are great stories and that was funny with Sandra Bullock, that is a line from Miss Congeniality!

There are some actors who are SO much more handsome in person then on the screen, and some are plain. I have not met many who I thought were plain or less attractive... though I towered over Hayden Panetiere which made me chuckle... I thought we were the same height but I was in VERY high heels. She is very pretty in person and sweet, though I heard horror stories about her... VERY nice to me :) Jack Coleman and Zach Levi STUNNING... I mean really and Zach Quinto, well... that is just about the personification of handsome to me in my little mind. :)

Also whomever mentioned about Greg Proops, thanks.. it doesn't make me feel turned off now, I was just taken aback that is all :) I get it now.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »
Not really a celebrity story, but my mother met Nelson Mandela. They were on the same ward at the Park Lane Clinic just after he was released from jail in the early '90s. She said he was always friendly and polite, and wished everyone good morning and asked how they were when he came past.

She also met Walter Sisulu and said to him, "Hello, Mr Sisulu!" She said he looked at her as if to say, "How did you know who I was?!!" But my mother was very well-read and up on politics, and knew who all the "great" figures in the ANC were.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

extranormal

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »
Funny how context determines celebrity.

There's an annual math competition for middle school kids in the US, and a few hundred students participated in last year's nationals. The kids who finished in the top ten were being asked to sign autographs for some of the other competitors.

I wonder if the autograph seekers will keep their treasures for years to come. I'm imagining one of them showing the autograph to his grandchildren. "Oh, that one? That's Danny Paterson. That kid could manipulate Gaussian integers like nobody's business!"

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 12:24:05 AM »
Funny how context determines celebrity.

There's an annual math competition for middle school kids in the US, and a few hundred students participated in last year's nationals. The kids who finished in the top ten were being asked to sign autographs for some of the other competitors.

I wonder if the autograph seekers will keep their treasures for years to come. I'm imagining one of them showing the autograph to his grandchildren. "Oh, that one? That's Danny Paterson. That kid could manipulate Gaussian integers like nobody's business!"

My Rocky Horror cast does a show in Reno every year, and we get asked for autographs.  I'm always taken aback - "You know I'm really just an Admin Assistant, right?"

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
Last week I got an autograph from Jason Momoa ( Ronan from Stargate Atlantis). He was very nice and I got a picture with him. I didn't say much though as I was too nervous and a bit star struck. It was at signing at a comic book store. The oddest thing was there was hardly any people there. I was able to wait for my husband and then go up in line.

My most valuable autograph though I did not get myself. I have two things ( a picture and a hockey puck) signed by Sidney Crosby. Sidney is my favorite hockey player ever. Everybody knows this. My uncle is a huge Pens fan and got the autographs for me. He knows when practices are and what the Pens are doing. Sidney is supposed to be very nice and sweet to his fans. One day I will meet him in person. As for now his picture is front and center on my bookcase.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »
Usually I stick to after show occasions when they are (usually) in the mood to chat and sing:

Sir John Mills
Mandy Patinkin
Eric Idle (I have this one framed in my dining room)
Patrick Stewart
David Hyde Pierce
Rudolph Nureyev
Kathleen Turner
Mr. Dressup (Ernie Coombes)

Was that before she decided she was German?
Words mean things.

DannysGirl

• Keeper of Jedi Holocrons
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »
Mark Hamill, Liz Taylor

Oh my...  Mark Hamill is my favorite actor of all time!  How did you meet him?  ComicCon?  You are so lucky! :D

McCutieBelle

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »
Ruby I  just noticed your typo and it made me smile, you put "sing" and not "sign" but I like it ;)
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 04:02:47 AM »
So I was a music major in college, and since the music department was pretty small (lots of people took *a* class but there were only five music majors in my year), we all got to know each other.  One of my classmates asked if I would join him in a project - he had written a piece that was going to be performed at his church, and needed a few people to sing.  I hadn't really had much opportunity to attend an African-American church before, and I was intrigued, so I agreed.  Found out that my favorite teacher (also African-American) was involved in this project and would be there performing with us, too.  It was a special Sunday - some important black person whose name I vaguely recognized was going to be preaching.  Okay, cool.

My grandparents were coming to visit me that weekend - Grandpa is a retired Presbyterian minister.  They were interested, and Grandpa speculated on the way over whether he would know the name of the special preacher or not.  Gosh, sure are a lot of cars for this size church!  We had to park two blocks away, and this was an hour before the service started!  We finally got close enough to see the sign - the preacher was Archbishop Desmond Tutu.  Yeah, some black guy I had never heard of  ::)

My grandparents were ecstatic, of course  ;D  The music was awesome, I got to shake hands with a truly fantastic man, and my Grandpa STILL tells the story of when we went to hear some mystery preacher and ended up with one of the most famous Christians of our time!

ladyonwheels

• cassie :)
  • does my charisma scare you?
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
a former poster to this board gave me permission to post in this thread on their behalf. if you recognize them that's great, but if not don't worry about it.

http://www.vimeo.com/6569868 she met peter cullen who is the voice of eeyore and also optimus prime.

i saw michael jackson once at disneyland and it was kind of funny. i was waiting outside the restrooms for my friend and i saw a bunch of people in black walk out of the mens room. then michael came out and i recognized him because his skin was so pale. he looked angelic almost and he was taller than he looks in photos with cartoon-like proportions. i gave him a big smile and he gave me a big smile right back. he was patient when i started typing on my dynavox and i told him i didn't believe any of those nasty news stories about him and that i love his music(and i really very much do). he said 'oh thank you so much.' and bent over to give me a big hug. he felt so small even under a winter coat. then he signed my park map pamphlet before i even asked and winked at me with a 'see you around, beautiful' as he walked away. i can't ever forget how he looked sad until i told him i didn't think he was guilty and hope for a minute it made him feel like the whole world doesn't condemn him. my friend who was in the bathroom got a picture of us and he is kneeling down looking up at me, it is so sweet.

the autograph and picture means even more to me now that michael is gone. i would share it except i don't feel comfortable posting my image online.

sorry about the ramble. that memory is very dear to me :)

edited to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:58:19 PM by ladyonwheels »

careful, i like bare toes ;D

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »
That's a very sweet story, LadyOnWheels. :-)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 12:53:55 AM »
That's a moving story, LadyOnWheels :).  I think he was a gentle person, inside.

And I just realized I'm listening to  You Are Not Alone  :'(.

As for me, I think I shared that I was at a chess competition, waiting in line to post my results (I'd won my game, yay!).  I turned around, and there was Mikhail Tal, who was world champion in the early 1960's.  I didn't speak Russian, but held out my scoresheet and a pen.  I think he said something like "Very good"  :D.  I was so glad I'd won, it happened so rarely ;).

He was a tiny little man, hard to believe he was so formidable across a chessboard.  I have that autograph framed :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:01:37 AM by guihong »

faithlessone

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 06:39:11 AM »
I've got a fair few autographs: Jewel Staite, Adrienne Wilkinson, Mary Tamm, Tom Baker, Nicholas Brendon, Greg Lutz, James Leary, Neill Cameron, Nathan Fillion.

My favourite and most prized though is James Marsters (Spike from "Buffy"). I only got it a couple of months ago. That man is an angel. He was supposed to be in England for two conventions, but he severely hurt his back on set, and was forced to move his flight. He managed to be there for the second convention (the one I was at!). Despite being in utter agony (he was wearing morphine patches on his arms and was lying down for all the autographs), he still managed to do a photoshoot with everyone who'd paid for one (me included!!!!). He was friendly, did several Q&A type panels, talked for a little bit to everyone who came up to him, and never once complained. He even apologised profusely to anyone who'd gone to the first convention and hadn't been able to see him.

Jewel Staite was also a total sweetie. I saw her at a convention in 2007, and have nothing but good things to say about her. From the start of the day, tickets to join her queue were going like hotcakes. When she saw this, she politely asked a event helper to fetch her a sandwich to eat at her desk instead of the 30/60 minute break the other celebs were taking for lunch. I saw her almost at the end of the day (after almost eight hours straight signing), and she still had a huge smile on her face. She apologised profusely for the queues, asked me if I'd managed to meet all the celebrities I had wanted to see (yes), complimented me on my t-shirt (Black with home-transferred glittery "Shiny!" on it) answered my question (which did she prefer doing Firefly, the series, or Serenity, the film - answer was "Firefly") and signed my photo:

"Darling Emily,
Stay Shiny!
Love from Kaylee
(Jewel Staite!)"

Made my day, and I honestly didn't mind waiting six hours to join her queue, then standing in a queue for an hour to see her.

soetkin

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 08:58:41 AM »
I met most of the cast of Highlander (the series) at a con in 99. The con itself was a lot of fun, the cast seemed to be having a ball, there was much theatrics and swordplay during the interview rounds and they joined the fans at the party the last day.

Stan Kirsch - who played Richie - was a total sweetheart and got very exited when we asked him if he would sign a book bought in the Parisian bookstore where they filmed a number of scenes and a postcard from Etretat where they also shot.
Stan: We filmed there!
Me: I know, I went there, it's beautiful.
Stan: *to Peter Wingfield* Look, what they brought!!
Peter: Hey, we filmed there!
*squees all round* It was very cute.

Richard Ridings, who played one of the four horsemen Silas, was also very sweet. I was a bit starstruck and he was one of the first in the autograph line so my brain short-circuited when I had to tell him my name. By the time I wanted to sink into the ground and managed to stammer "anything is ok" to his "Do you have a preference?", He laughed and penned a lovely message and a unique version of my name. Thank you, Richard, I still love your signature the most!

Mopsy428

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
I'm so envious of my uncle, who was an air traffic controller in California. He not only MET Patrick Swayze, but Mr. Swayze invited him and a few other air traffic controllers over for a barbecue. My uncle said he was the most down-to-Earth person and extremely kind.

I've met Adam Sandler, the hometown boy. He was really nice, not snobby at all.