Author Topic: Autograph Stories  (Read 29845 times)

ladyonwheels

• cassie :)
  • does my charisma scare you?
Re: Autograph Stories
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
oooo patric swayze was a hunk of a hunk. loved him in roadhouse and ghost.

careful, i like bare toes ;D

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
My favorite autograph story happened when my family and I went to a practice round for the Masters (golf tournament) in 1987.  During the practice rounds, you could walk around the course at will and interact w/ the golfers (I think the only one you couldn't get near that year was Nicklaus, as he had just won his last Masters the year before and was surrounded wherever he went).  We watched some golfers tee off on a hole, including Hubert Green (now on the Seniors tour if he's even still playing).  My dad had a Masters hat he was getting autographs on, and he shouted out after the shots, "Hubert, will you sign a hat?"  And Mr. Green joked back, "You'll have to come in here and walk with me -- I didn't pay for a ticket so I can't go on that side of the rope!"  So my dad got to walk up the fairway w/ one of his favorite golfers.

We still have the hat -- many many golfers signed it, including Jackie Nicklaus (Jack's son, who served as his caddy) -- he signed it J Nicklaus so I suppose I could tell people it's Jack Nicklaus' signature . . .

kitty-cat

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »
Well, for this one, ya'll need some background.

The Texas Rangers baseball team used to be owned by George W. Bush in the 90s.  Before my family moved to Georgia I had a Rangers ballcap.  When Bush was doing his presidential run in 2000, he made a stop in Augusta, Georgia.  My Nana took me and my brother to his stop for no other reason than to watch history be made.

After his speech Bush was doing autographs and pictures.  I had brought along the ballcap because I wanted to wear it that day because it was sunny out.  When this happened I was about 9, so this was when I was still really slim.  I wound up crawling through the crowd to try and get close.  When I got stuck between two really heavy guys I stood up and stuck the hat in the air, holding it as high as I could.  Bush said "Is that a Texas Rangers hat?" And he waved me through the crowd and signed my hat.

I still that hat at my parents house too.  I haven't worn it since that day, and it honestly qualifies as one of my more precious possessions.

NE Florida

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »

I've definitely told this one before ... maybe even twice, so i will condense it as much as possible. Gish and i are big baseball fans. We take a vacation every down to see the Phillies at spring training. Last year i was down in seat area right the field with my cousin. Cousin was trying to get a penant signed, and Jayson Werth was trying to sign it for him, but didn't have anything to lean on. Can you see where this is going already? I turned around so that he could use my back and shoulders to lean on and he touched my neck. It was awesome. I got the vapors. I'm not usually like that, but ... wow, that was awesome. I still get a little giddy thinking about it  :)

Most of the Phillies have been very friendly when i've met them in person. I've talked to the beautiful Cole Hamels a few times, he is always polite and will stop and sign things. Shane Victorino is a really happy friendly guy, Chris Coste (gone now, to a NY team, i think) is about as normal as you can find...i'll stop now or go on forever. I love that team. Jayson Werth, especially.  :D

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »
I met Bruce Campbell for the second time at the E Street Theater in Washington, DC on June 22, 2005, his 47th birthday.

I love Bruce Campbell! It's so nice to hear that he's a good guy. And I'm jealous.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
I only have one: jane Seymour. I've told the story before on ehell.

When I was 17 I worked in a high-end antique store in my hometown (tourist town). We were used to getting super rich people in the store - not me, I was a poor townie - so we had had our fill of attitude.

A petite lady comes in, accompanied by a few huge guys. They looked like linebackers. I greeted her, she was standoffish, but a lot of customers were like that. Finally she said: "Do you know who I am?" I didn't; I'd seen her movies but didn't recognize her in person.
She said she was making "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeves and had the day off and wanted to shop. Of course at that name I went ga-ga.  :)

Then she was very nice and friendly. I guess treating her as I did anyone else changed her attitude? I got her autograph. And she bought an antique silver pocketwatch that Reeves supposedly used in the movie; it would have been perfect for that era.

And, although I didn't get an autograph, I saw Richard Thomas (John Boy) in Manhattan several months ago. It was definitely him. He was shorter/thinner than I thought he'd be. I didn't speak to him; it was just a sighting.

rosiecat

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 06:35:29 PM »
I forgot - I also have Billy Joel.

I used to work for one of his attorneys.  They would periodically send out CDs and such for him to sign - I would write the letter and request he sign this one for this person or that for the other.

I finally asked my boss - hey!  I'm a fan - can I include me and my CD??  He said yes. 

I got to meet him.  Very nice guy, very cute. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »
Hobish's baseball story reminded me of one: my parents were huge baseball fans, and used to go to Florida for spring training.  One morning, they were riding in an elevator with a young man.  My dad asked him if he was going to the baseball game.  He replied, "I'd better-I'm Quisenberry".   It was Dan Quisenberry, who played most of his career with the Royals, but I'm unsure who he was playing for when this happened.   Sadly, he died of brain cancer at an early age.

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 06:36:09 PM »
Usually I stick to after show occasions when they are (usually) in the mood to chat and sing:

Sir John Mills
Mandy Patinkin
Eric Idle (I have this one framed in my dining room)
Patrick Stewart
David Hyde Pierce
Rudolph Nureyev
Kathleen Turner
Mr. Dressup (Ernie Coombes)

Was that before she decided she was German?
Sorry, don't know what you mean.

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 06:37:13 PM »
Ruby I  just noticed your typo and it made me smile, you put "sing" and not "sign" but I like it ;)

Heck - I tend to do that a lot. I thought I fixed them all. LOL - I do like to chat and sing as well.  Must be a Freudian typo.

Luncelot

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »
Well I have only met a couple of big famous people, but I only have one set of autographs to prove it and they are the funniest guys I think I have ever met.

Penn and Teller. I was in Vegas and went to their show it was great mix of comedy, magic and thought provoking comentary, then after the show they stood outside the theater and signed autographs and talked to anyone that wanted to.

IT WAS GREAT!

But I have also met several others but never had anything on my signature worthy. Paul Gross, Leslie Neilson (I went to the opening of Men with Brooms and they were both the big names in it. Great, funny movie about curling) The whole Calgary Flames line up from about 1991 on. Most of the Heart family (at one point they were one of the biggest pro wrestling families)

My sister on the other hand got Micheal J Fox at the 1988 Winter Games, she and my mom were sitting only a few rows back from him.

But my wife has a lot of people beat, her step-uncle in a way is Denzel Washington, and has a few things with his autograph on it.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
LOL, I cannot read lately. I saw "step cousin in a way is Denzel" and I thought how can you be kind of Denzel Washington, you are either him or not... then I got it ;) Cool stories eveyone!
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 12:33:02 PM »
Usually I stick to after show occasions when they are (usually) in the mood to chat and sing:

Sir John Mills
Mandy Patinkin
Eric Idle (I have this one framed in my dining room)
Patrick Stewart
David Hyde Pierce
Rudolph Nureyev
Kathleen Turner
Mr. Dressup (Ernie Coombes)

Was that before she decided she was German?
Sorry, don't know what you mean.

A few years back, Kathleen Turner woke up German. She didn't always talk like that, but in the past few years when she's on talk shows or interviews, she's got this weird pseudo-German accent.

(But seriously, it's nothing to the bizarre accent Jeri Hall made up.)
Words mean things.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »
I only have one: jane Seymour. I've told the story before on ehell.

When I was 17 I worked in a high-end antique store in my hometown (tourist town). We were used to getting super rich people in the store - not me, I was a poor townie - so we had had our fill of attitude.

A petite lady comes in, accompanied by a few huge guys. They looked like linebackers. I greeted her, she was standoffish, but a lot of customers were like that. Finally she said: "Do you know who I am?" I didn't; I'd seen her movies but didn't recognize her in person.
She said she was making "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeves and had the day off and wanted to shop. Of course at that name I went ga-ga.  :)

Then she was very nice and friendly. I guess treating her as I did anyone else changed her attitude? I got her autograph. And she bought an antique silver pocketwatch that Reeves supposedly used in the movie; it would have been perfect for that era.

And, although I didn't get an autograph, I saw Richard Thomas (John Boy) in Manhattan several months ago. It was definitely him. He was shorter/thinner than I thought he'd be. I didn't speak to him; it was just a sighting.

If you don't mind me asking, was this on the Island, or to the north or south of the Bridge?   (Jane Seymour, I mean.)

Cracea

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
A couple of years ago at the Excalibur in Las Vegas, I was sitting on a bench waiting for a friend.  A man exited the door from the nearby theater, and he looked very familiar.  It took me a moment to recognize him as Louie Anderson.  He looked....tired.  Very tired and old and very sad somehow.  A moment later a fan came up who'd apparently just seen his show, and Mr. Anderson suddenly looked 20 years younger, smiling, seemingly genuinely happy to chat and sign an autograph.  After the fan left, he still had that glow.  It was amazing to see how we, as fans, can positively effect celebrities.