Author Topic: Autograph Stories  (Read 31341 times)

LeeLee88

Re: Autograph Stories
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
I have a second hand Dave Matthews story :) He plays in our area quite a bit and a friend of mine went to the concert and is a HUGE fan of his music. So he and a bunch of his friends were at a bar after the concert and Dave Matthews comes in!

So they go over and talk to them, have beers, play pool and he pretends he has no clue who Dave Matthews is. They go and part ways and my friend pulls his ticket stub out and says "can you sign this?" and smiles and Dave laughed and signed it.

Friggin' awesome!  He really is a very, very nice guy, and as other people have told me, it makes it extremely easy to forget that he's even a star  :D.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
I love that too! It just shows you some stars are just regular people in extraordinary situations.

I recall how nervous I was to meet Zach Quinto, because I heard tales of his huge ego and belittling behaivor.. but I have to tell you the NICEST person you could meet. I hope when I see him in the show this weekend if I get to meet him he is the same way....

My friend Kim when she lived in LA gave an actor a signed copy of her head shot and said "I figure you get asked to gives yours so much, I wanted to give you mine, it may be worth something" they had a good laugh and a good chat after that!
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Jloreli

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »
I went to college at the same school Stephen King and his wife graduated from so I have a couple of "meeting" stories. He can be super friendly but can also be decidedly less so.

The first time I ran into him was at the mall around Christmas. I was in the movie/action figure store (can't remember the name) and he was standing in front of a rack of movies I wanted to look at. I started to say "Excuse me, would you mind moving over a bit?" I didn't even get the "excuse me" all the way out before he interrupted with a very snotty "I'm not giving autographs!" I just said "OK, actually I was just going to ask if you'd move over so I could look at the rack behind you." He wandered off without another word. I was pretty put out because even though I'm a fan I wasn't going to bug him, I just wanted him to shift over a bit. And quite frankly it was the kind of store that you'd have to expect a bunch of fangeekery.

The second time I ran into Mr. King was in the library on campus. I was at the copier, he asked if I would be done soon. I said I had quite a bit to go but if he just had a couple of pages I'd be happy to take a break and let him in. He said he had quite a bit too so he'd wait. He ended up standing there chatting with me while I finished up and was very nice. I refrained from bringing up the mall incident.  >:D

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 10:40:11 AM »
Maybe it was the fangeekery that had put him off, he might have been bugged a bunch that day and had reached his limit.  But in the library he'd been largely left alone.  I figure it is like when I had a hip-to-ankle leg cast.  Some days I was just so friggin' tired of being bugged about it.  If no one had asked awhile, I didn't mind. 

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2010, 01:40:23 AM »
I got to meet a local celebrity recently. I go to school near the Blackfriar's Playhouse (the world's only recreation of Shakespeare's Blackfriars Theater, and a terrific site for drama from the Elizabethan - Restoration). I work at a local consignment and costume shop, right around the corner. A few weeks ago, Sarah Fallon, who is one of their main leading ladies came in looking for angel wings. I sold her some and got to talk with her a bit... though I did do the 'You're from the Blackfriars, right?' to make sure it was her.

Since we have a policy of giving theater people discounts (my boss was a theater major), she said she'd let the troupe know, so I might get to meet a lot more Shakespearean actors soon.

I also have an autographed book from Steve Scafidi. I had just gotten second place in a poetry contest, and he had been invited as a guest speaker for the award. He included a note about how much he liked my poem, which I thought was super nice of him.

Orisha

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »
I have autographs from 2 ex-Red Sox players - Mo Vaughn and Yaz.  Vaughn was a nice guy.  Yaz isn't much for small talk, but he signed my glove graciously.  I also have a Bush-vintage autograph from Gavin Rossdale.  Also pleasant...I got to meet The Bloodhound Gang at the same time and they were the coolest guys ever.  And absolutely hilarious.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »
Oh! I have a Dave Matthews story too!

He used to shop at the little co-op I worked at (cough cough mumble) years ago.

He was super polite.  Everything was "yes ma mm, no ma mm, thank you ma mm", he is a southern boy after all, ma mm and sir are ingrained. 

I encountered him at the store when I was there as a customer, not an employee (I never would have done this if I had been on the clock, unprofessional) and at the time I had a friend who was a HUGE Dave Matthews fan.  So approached him and said "Excuse, can I shake your hand so I can gloat to a friend of mine".  He laughed and said "Of course" and held out his hand.  I shook it, smiled and said "Thank you". 

Very, very nice man.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2010, 01:00:51 PM »
He was super polite.  Everything was "yes ma mm, no ma mm, thank you ma mm", he is a southern boy after all, ma mm and sir are ingrained./quote]

Well, he is southern as in he comes from South Africa, originally  ;D

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »
He was super polite.  Everything was "yes ma mm, no ma mm, thank you ma mm", he is a southern boy after all, ma mm and sir are ingrained./quote]

Well, he is southern as in he comes from South Africa, originally  ;D

Oops! I know nothing about the man :)
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

MizB

« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
I got to meet Greg Fitzsimmons, a stand up comedian. He was super sweet and gracious. He came to my college to do stand up and absolutely adored our mascot because of its naughty slang usage. After the show he stood around taking pictures, talking and signing autographs for what seemed like forever. He was super sweet!!!

I didn't get to meet Jim Gaffigan, but he performed a year or two before Greg Fitzsimmons and he stalked off stage because of a small amount of heckling. I was in the audience and from what I could tell the boys that were doing it were just kind of shouting back his jokes at him, but he told us we were rude and completely left campus before he could be stopped. I am not trying to say anything super negative, because I wasn't sitting right next to the hecklers, so I could be wrong about the exact nature of the heckling. But our auditorium only seats around 500 max so it was small enough that I thought I knew what was going on and it didn't seem that bad to me.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Lady Macbeth

« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »
Since I worked at a bookstore for years I have met many authors. My favorite was Terry Brooks (and I don't even read his stuff, I was just working his signing!). He asked me about my favorite fantasy authors and how I felt the current state of the genre. He was very nice and it was obvious he was a fantasy fan as well as an author.
My writing blog! blogspot.patriciacorrell.com

hjaye

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »
Since I worked at a bookstore for years I have met many authors. My favorite was Terry Brooks (and I don't even read his stuff, I was just working his signing!). He asked me about my favorite fantasy authors and how I felt the current state of the genre. He was very nice and it was obvious he was a fantasy fan as well as an author.

I would have very much liked to have met him.  The first book of his that I read I felt was a bit of a rip off from Tolkien, but I found as I read more of his books I really got hooked.  I'm glad to hear he's a nice guy.-

moonstruckSue

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
DH and I have met Bruce Campbell several times to get things signed and gone to two of his movie premieres here in Austin...he's pretty fantastic! My favorite story is one he tells in his autobiography, that a girl was in line to get his signature and when it was her turn she said disappointedly, "Ugh, you look like Someone's Dad." His response? "I am Someone's Dad."

I bumped into Morgan Fairchild on the street once, and as we exchanged "oh excuse me"s, I saw the look in her face - she could tell I recognized her and she looked.....afraid. I just smiled brightly and said "I'm so sorry...Have a nice day", and she looked relieved as I headed on. She probably had gotten a lot of unwanted attention that day...

Quintin Tarantino sat behind us at an Alamo Drafthouse showing of some kung fu movies once, and he laughed super loud at odd times and....smelled. In a "maybe you should take a shower" way.

I have the signatures of several bands from my college days and constantly going to shows in the area, but nobody that is anything more than local.

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »
this isn't an autograph story... but.

i called the White House.. that white house.. and got a call back!!! do you know how cool it is to have a message on your answering machine that says.. "Hi this is...(i forget his name) from the White House, returning your call.. i can be reached at XXX..."

let me tell you.. it's freaking cool.

my roommate had met Al Gore's right hand man.. he gave her his number.. told her if she ever had questions to call.. (we were both *******-sci majors) i had questions.. i called.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2010, 04:01:37 AM »

Did you actually speak to Al Gore?
WOW!

i'm actually jealous  :D
Stewart/Colbert '16