Author Topic: Autograph Stories  (Read 30693 times)

poundcake

Re: Autograph Stories
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
Penn and Teller. I was in Vegas and went to their show it was great mix of comedy, magic and thought provoking comentary, then after the show they stood outside the theater and signed autographs and talked to anyone that wanted to.

IT WAS GREAT!

Same here! They were fantastic, must have stood out there talking and posing for pictures for almost an hour. Penn, especially, flirted and teased, and talked jazz with my brother (a musician). Even when some woman got very pushy and snippy, they were patient and gracious.

bo

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »
I met Bruce Campbell for the second time at the E Street Theater in Washington, DC on June 22, 2005, his 47th birthday.

My husband seriously has a man crush on Bruce Cambell. I never even saw Evil Dead in its entirety and I know all the lines from my husband :)  Actually right now he is DVRing My Name is Bruce Cambell and I am under strict orders of divorce or death if I change the channel

BeagleMommy

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2009, 04:08:32 PM »
When my mother was a teenager she saw Jerry Lee Lewis in a phone booth in Atlantic City.  She patiently stood outside said phone booth and waited until he finished and was rewarded with his autograph.

Oh, and Bo, my husband also has a serious man crush on Bruce Campbell.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
My husband seriously has a man crush on Bruce Cambell. I never even saw Evil Dead in its entirety and I know all the lines from my husband :)  Actually right now he is DVRing My Name is Bruce Cambell and I am under strict orders of divorce or death if I change the channel

OT: that movie was AWESOME. I laughed the whole way through it.
Words mean things.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 01:40:12 AM »
I've got autographs from Michael Stackpole (I'm sure I came off as kind of creepy, since I was too shy to ask for an autograph right away), Grant Imahara, and Kari Byron. All were very nice, and I was thrilled to meet all of them. But I am one of those fans who waits until the end, because I'm shy.

KCee

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2009, 02:17:11 AM »
My favorite "autograph" story (quotes because I never actually obtained the autograph!) is one I've told here before.  I was taking the back way home when I lived in Pittsburgh when a huge white Escalade pulls up next to me and Heath Miller of the Steelers asks me for directions.  He talked to me for a few minutes, and actually asked for my number (which I willingly gave!) and he called me later. Alas, I was in the car with my ex-boyfriend and could not chat, and he never called back.  :(   (My ex was my ex at the time; I wasn't trying to cheat. It would have just been too cruel to talk on the phone to another guy while he was taking me to dinner!)

Another fun encounter was when my step-cousins came to Pittsburgh to see Rhett Akins and the Povertyneck Hillbillies.  They took me along in exchange for letting them stay at my place.  I can't be sure exactly how it happened, but we were invited on to their tourbus to hang out after the show.  My cousins were freaking out, but I was pretty indifferent, since I wasnt a huge fan at the time. (I've since realized just how many huge country songs Akins has written!)  They were gushing and making friends while I was eating 5 slices of the band's pizza.  I guess I didn't make the best impression, but its still a fun memory!

Finally, the only time when I actually obtained autographs:  
This is when TRL was new and huge on MTV.  I was 17 and my friend and I skipped school (with permission!) to walk around NYC and go stand in the crowd outside TRL.  We got there armed with posters and cookies (our signs said "Cookies for Carson!" haha) only to find that they weren't filming.  I called my sister and she said there was a show happening that they claimed was live.  We ended up going home disappointed, but luckily my friend and I wrote for the teen section of the local newspaper and we contacted MTV and let them know of our disappointment.  Because we were writing from a newspaper, we were extended invitations to actually come sit in the studio for a taping of TRL then do a green room interview with Carson Daly and the guest of the day, which happened to be Ashley Judd.  It was so surreal to actually be sitting there, in a room with just the 4 of us.  My friend did most of the interview while I sat there shaking like a leaf.  I do remember, in cringeworthy clarity, that I asked Carson if he liked the Backstreet Boys.  Ahh I was such a teenager!!   :P

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2009, 06:15:05 AM »
I met Bruce Campbell for the second time at the E Street Theater in Washington, DC on June 22, 2005, his 47th birthday. There were literally a couple hundred people there waiting to get his autograph. The line slowly but surely moves along and everyone is chatting quietly while waiting there turn. The closer I got to the table, the more I could hear Bruce's conversations with other autograph seekers. He was very nice and polite with everyone, asking people what they do for a living and whatnot. Being his birthday and all, the staff brought out a cake and began cutting slices of it. Then it's my turn with the big man himself. I say hello and wish him a happy birthday. He offers me the first piece of his birthday cake.  :D  He signs my copy of his book (Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way!) and asks me what I do for a living. I tell him where I work and he seems genuinely impressed. At the time I had a website up devoted to reviews of bad movies and some of his films were on it. I told him this and he smiled knowingly and joked, "How many? Five? Six?" (Campbell himself is the first to admit that more than a few of his films suck. One of his quotes on his IMDB page is "The movies that are the easiest to make are the hardest to watch." Oh, and I had reviewed only two of his films: "Tornado!" and "The Love Bug" remake).

Heh Heh. The guy is beyond awesome, very friendly and down-to-earth. Hail to the King, baby!  ;D

I am not surprised by that at all.  In all his interviews he has struck me as polite, sweet and good natured (not to mention funny as heck).  He also knows he is where he is because of his fans.

And, he's the only man on earth who can pull off the line "Give me some sugar, Baby"
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2009, 06:31:37 AM »
My sister sort of had Heath Ledger's. She became a huge fan of him when he was starring in Roar, and sent him a fan e-mail. He e-mailed her back, once to thank her for her support and once to prove that it really was him, and thanking her again.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »
I e-mailed Jason Marsden (does a lot of Disney voices, on several tv shows like Eerie, Indiana, Step by Step and a few others), and he e-mailed me back.  It was cool!  (Yeah...that happened last year...I'm 26 and still excited about it!)

HockeyNut

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »
Bruce Campbell is the man!  I only chatted with him while he signed my book (so not very long) but even it that short time he impressed me as someone who appreciates his fans.

Other autographs: Alex English, David Thompson, Kiki Vandeweghe, Dan Issel (long-time Denver residents will recognize those names - love me some tall men!!)
David Wilcox (another really nice guy)
David Crosby (really wanted Graham Nash but he didn't come out after the sound check)
All the members of Sonia Dada (a band who truly appreciated their fans)
Michael Hedges (RIP)

Met but no autograph: Brett Hull, Uwe Krupp

Julia S

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »
I still have the autograph of the first Dutch astronaut, Wubbo Ockels, when we met him at an exhibit. I was 11. :P

Otherwise, I have no cool autograph stories, as I was never in the position to ask for one (usually at work, so I couldn't ask)

Actress Amanda Burton was really nice, as was author Marina Lewycka. An audio books voice actor, whose name escapes me at the moment (as it did then :P), thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Actor Michael Brandon and comedian Paul Merton gave off an obvious leave-me-alone vibe, so I did.

I think the best autograph story ever is this one. :D :D :D

McCutieBelle

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »
You are not the first person to say that about Paul Merton... I have heard that for a very long time. When I went to London, I was warned if he did a show at the Comedy Store NOT to approach him after.. but I did not get to see him perform,which is kind of disappointing because he had a very dry sense of humor from what I recall.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

extranormal

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
Met but no autograph: Brett Hull, Uwe Krupp

I served Uwe cake when I was a waitress. He was very pleasant (and really liked cake).

HockeyNut

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »

[/quote]

I served Uwe cake when I was a waitress. He was very pleasant (and really liked cake).
[/quote]

I was actually surprised at how large he was - I'd never seen a pro hockey player in person.
He had lots of room for cake!!
(Was he playing for Denver or Detroit when you met him?)

extranormal

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »

[/quote]

I was actually surprised at how large he was - I'd never seen a pro hockey player in person.
He had lots of room for cake!!
(Was he playing for Denver or Detroit when you met him?)
[/quote]

Buffalo (I'm old!  :)).