Author Topic: Autograph Stories  (Read 32318 times)

Sals

Re: Autograph Stories
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »
All of my autographs are from going to the stage door after shows or from events specifically meant for getting autographs, mainly because I don't feel comfortable asking when I see celebrities "in the wild" as it were.  As far as people seen?  A friend and I had a lovely conversation with Ellen Pompeo in the shoe department at Bergdorfs a few years ago.  I almost ran slap into Frances McDormand as she was hailing a cab on 8th Avenue in NYC (She had the best cab whistle I've ever heard).  I've also seen quite a few people as fellow audience members in NY theaters.  I saw Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward the night of a gala performance at City Center.  Kevin Bacon sat directly across the aisle from me and Neil Patrick Harris was two seats down from him when I saw Boeing-Boeing.  Robert Sean Leonard was seated near me when I saw Cyrano de Bergerac.  I spent the entire first act of Pal Joey complaining in my head about the freakishly tall woman in front of me and it turned out to be Brooke Shields.  Christine Taylor was sitting directly behind me when I saw The Little Mermaid.  I once saw Michael Jackson exiting The Four Seasons and Spike Lee in a ladies lingerie store in Soho.  I thought they were all amazingly nice.  Especially Ellen Pompeo who asked us several questions as to what we thought about this aspect and that of Grey's Anatomy and also about the shoes were were trying on.

People that I've seen because of being on or near sets or because of work?  I worked at a hotel in my hometown as an auditor while I was transitioning careers and it was while they were filming the movie Failure to Launch in town.  Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker weren't around but I met both Justin Bartha (the sidekick guy from the National Treasure movies) and Bradley Cooper, both of whom stayed at the hotel and were lovely.  I was a featured extra and dancer in Sweet Home Alabama and all of those actors were just adorable.  When I interned at Disney, I was an extra for the show Step by Step and thought all of those actors were great except the gal who was on My Two Dads, who was just dreadful.  This past fall I walked out of a friend's apt and practically into a taping of CSI: NY.  I actually saw quite a few people while I worked at Disney, but my two favorites were Robert Downey, Jr. who did the hands in the cement thing and then a Q & A and who then stayed around to sign autographs.  The same for Joey Lawrence (it was the 90s.  Don't judge) and the lady next to me yelled "WHOA!" just like he did on Blossom and he thought it was me and gave me a Joey Tribiani "How YOU doin'?" which is STILL hilarious to all my friends who saw it happen.

At the stage door though?  Awesome.  These people are SO AMAZING.  If you ever have a chance to see a show in NYC and there's someone you know and like in the cast GO!  They are always SO NICE. I have Stockard Channing and Martha Plimpton's (plus a picture with Ms. Channing) from Pal Joey.  I have Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal from the last time they came back to Rent.  Lea Salonga from when she was in the revival of Les Mis (and a pic with her).   Stephen Lynch from The Wedding Singer (plus a pic).  Jennifer Garner and Kevin Kline from Cyrano de Bergerac--unbelievably, no words for it nice.  Especially her.   Allison Janney when I saw 9 to 5 (also with a pic).  And Bradley Whitford (who was beyond adorable and charming and witty) from when I saw Boeing-Boeing (with pic that was my facebook profile pic for an eon).

Just before Christmas, I got a picture with and an autograph from Mark Ingram who won this year's Heisman Trophy JUST before he walked into the Heisman ceremony.  I have also gotten autographs from Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler. 

The only celebrity I found really off-putting, and it pains me to say this because I just loved him back in the day, was Pierce Brosnan.  He and Susan Sarandon (lovely) were filming in the house across the street from us at the shore and the PAs told us that he would be coming out to sign autographs and so I ran inside to grab my Remington Steele DVDs.  He signed about a million James Bond movies with good humor and when I handed him mine he looked at them and said, "Really?" and kind of rolled his eyes.  Yep, really, dude.  It was only my favorite show of all time when I was 11.  Still in my all-time top ten.  Get over your super-spy self.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 04:02:58 AM »
All of my autographs are from going to the stage door after shows or from events specifically meant for getting autographs, mainly because I don't feel comfortable asking when I see celebrities "in the wild" as it were.  As far as people seen?  A friend and I had a lovely conversation with Ellen Pompeo in the shoe department at Bergdorfs a few years ago.  I almost ran slap into Frances McDormand as she was hailing a cab on 8th Avenue in NYC (She had the best cab whistle I've ever heard).  I've also seen quite a few people as fellow audience members in NY theaters.  I saw Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward the night of a gala performance at City Center.  Kevin Bacon sat directly across the aisle from me and Neil Patrick Harris was two seats down from him when I saw Boeing-Boeing.  Robert Sean Leonard was seated near me when I saw Cyrano de Bergerac.  I spent the entire first act of Pal Joey complaining in my head about the freakishly tall woman in front of me and it turned out to be Brooke Shields.  Christine Taylor was sitting directly behind me when I saw The Little Mermaid.  I once saw Michael Jackson exiting The Four Seasons and Spike Lee in a ladies lingerie store in Soho.  I thought they were all amazingly nice.  Especially Ellen Pompeo who asked us several questions as to what we thought about this aspect and that of Grey's Anatomy and also about the shoes were were trying on.

People that I've seen because of being on or near sets or because of work?  I worked at a hotel in my hometown as an auditor while I was transitioning careers and it was while they were filming the movie Failure to Launch in town.  Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker weren't around but I met both Justin Bartha (the sidekick guy from the National Treasure movies) and Bradley Cooper, both of whom stayed at the hotel and were lovely.  I was a featured extra and dancer in Sweet Home Alabama and all of those actors were just adorable.  When I interned at Disney, I was an extra for the show Step by Step and thought all of those actors were great except the gal who was on My Two Dads, who was just dreadful.  This past fall I walked out of a friend's apt and practically into a taping of CSI: NY.  I actually saw quite a few people while I worked at Disney, but my two favorites were Robert Downey, Jr. who did the hands in the cement thing and then a Q & A and who then stayed around to sign autographs.  The same for Joey Lawrence (it was the 90s.  Don't judge) and the lady next to me yelled "WHOA!" just like he did on Blossom and he thought it was me and gave me a Joey Tribiani "How YOU doin'?" which is STILL hilarious to all my friends who saw it happen.

At the stage door though?  Awesome.  These people are SO AMAZING.  If you ever have a chance to see a show in NYC and there's someone you know and like in the cast GO!  They are always SO NICE. I have Stockard Channing and Martha Plimpton's (plus a picture with Ms. Channing) from Pal Joey.  I have Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal from the last time they came back to Rent.  Lea Salonga from when she was in the revival of Les Mis (and a pic with her).   Stephen Lynch from The Wedding Singer (plus a pic).  Jennifer Garner and Kevin Kline from Cyrano de Bergerac--unbelievably, no words for it nice.  Especially her.   Allison Janney when I saw 9 to 5 (also with a pic).  And Bradley Whitford (who was beyond adorable and charming and witty) from when I saw Boeing-Boeing (with pic that was my facebook profile pic for an eon).

Just before Christmas, I got a picture with and an autograph from Mark Ingram who won this year's Heisman Trophy JUST before he walked into the Heisman ceremony.  I have also gotten autographs from Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler. 

The only celebrity I found really off-putting, and it pains me to say this because I just loved him back in the day, was Pierce Brosnan.  He and Susan Sarandon (lovely) were filming in the house across the street from us at the shore and the PAs told us that he would be coming out to sign autographs and so I ran inside to grab my Remington Steele DVDs.  He signed about a million James Bond movies with good humor and when I handed him mine he looked at them and said, "Really?" and kind of rolled his eyes.  Yep, really, dude.  It was only my favorite show of all time when I was 11.  Still in my all-time top ten.  Get over your super-spy self.

AARRRH!! I'm so jealous!!   :D

Stewart/Colbert '16

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »

AARRRH!! I'm so jealous!!   :D

Me Too!  Especially about the Lea Salonga, Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp!

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
Me too! I love Anthony Rapp!  I'm also curious b/c Sweet Home Alabama is one of my favorite movies. :)

I haven't really met any celebrities. I went to a large basketball college so the tall ladies and gents were always around, and I became a bit acquainted with one player of the men's team.  They were all very nice, though some of have gone on to some very successful NBA and WNBA careers. 

I did wait on Keanu Reeves once at the club where I worked-also "knew" Ted Kennedy Jr and his family. Very very nice and down to earth people. 

DH's best story is when he was a kid (12ish?) at a vacation spot in northeastern Mass and was in an arcade playing video games. A guy asked if he could play too. (Two player game).

DH said sure and they played.

When the game was over, man put in a few more quarters and they continued for awhile.

Only when the guy was done and went to shake DH's hand did he realize that he had been playing video games with Weird Al. :)

bo

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
When I was a teenager I knew Christina Ricci's  brother Dante. Now she might have changed because she was younger and not that big of a star yet. It was around when Mermaids came out.

But when I met her she was just a regular kid and seemed very normal.

bo

« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2010, 07:42:18 PM »
oooh this has nothing to do with an autograph story but someone I went to high school with is now on the show Chuck. It is kinda cool though  ;D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »
oooh this has nothing to do with an autograph story but someone I went to high school with is now on the show Chuck. It is kinda cool though  ;D
One of my former classmates is involved in the paranormal boom and was on extreme Paranormal.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

bo

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2010, 02:13:10 AM »
Black, is he on the show as (hmmm what are they exactly called?) a ghost buster?

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2010, 12:07:27 PM »
Black, is he on the show as (hmmm what are they exactly called?) a ghost buster?
Yeah...
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

allgone

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:08 PM »
Well he wasn't exactly a celebrity but I wanted to give props to someone who was my nephew's hero and who turned out to be a great guy.  He was a minor league hockey player named Ben Simon who played for the local team.  We had season tix and my nephew was five when he came to play for our team.  My nephew thought he was the best player and was a huge fan.  It was acceptable practice after the games to wait outside the locker rooms for autographs.  We did this about once a month and then had the season ticket party with the meet and greet and library visits where certain players would give a little talk and answer questions.  After about four times of meeting my nephew, who always told him how great a player he was, Ben Simon recognized him and called him by name each time he saw him.  He signed his jersey to his #1 fan and introduced my nephew to his family when they were visiting for a game.  He also bought him a birthday present and gave it to him out of view from everyone else to say thanks for all the support.

He made my nephew feel so good about himself and hockey.  My nephew is now 14 and still has that jersey hanging in a frame in his room and talks about how amazing his favorite player was and how he hopes to one day get to do that for one of his fans.  :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »

Awww, that is a great story, allgone!

I didn't get an autograph out of this, but i think it fits. My ex-bf (let's call him Ed) was from New York City, and terribly proud of it. We went up there one night with a few of his friends just to hang out for a bit, and the whole night he was teasing me that i was smiling too much and to stop looking people in the eye. "It's the city! You don't do that here! Do you want everyone here to know i am here with someone from New Jersey!? ;D" Well, we were waiting for the elevator at the sports bar we were in, and i turned to tell Ed that the pretty blonde lady a few feet away was smiling and looking right at us, ha ha ha ... but he wasn't listening. He was standing there staring with his mouth hanging open ... pretty blonde lady was Janet Jones, and she was there with her husband, The Great One, Wayne Gretzky. She was super nice.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

squeakers

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
The only autographs I ever got were from professional wrestlers in the 70's when my dad used to take all the neighborhood kids to the matches down at the Armory. This was years before the WWF really took off, and the wrestlers were mostly just normal guys who were in really good shape. The only autograph I really remember was a match where two big names were fighting and another big name wrestler was the ref. Before the match all the kids in the arena were mobbing the corners of the guys who were fighting, but I was the only one who thought to get the ref's autograph. Dominic Dinucci, if I recall correctly. He was very nice.

I never got Andre the Giant's autograph but I saw him fight a couple times, and touched his elbow when he was walking away from the ring. His elbow was the highest I could reach. He was a very big man. Also very sweaty.

We bought an autographed hand print of his from an auction.  It's framed and hanging on our living room wall. It's huge! I was so sad when he passed away  :'(

It's the only real autograph we have.. just not our thing to do when meeting someone famous.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

KCee

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »
That is such a sweet story, allgone!

LeeLee88

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
I didn't get an autograph, but Dave Matthews 1) confused me for someone he thought he knew and was mortified to realized he'd man-handled a strange woman, 2) bought my tiny group a round to apologize and also to chat, and 3) knew my then BF from a while ago, and gave me some advice that I did not heed but should have: "dump him."  Mr. Matthews told me certain stories about then-BF from "back in the day" (then-BF was quite a lot older than me) and when I asked then-BF if they were true, he just glared and stalked away... guess you should be more careful of being a jacka$$ in public then, hmm? 

At first I thought, "Wow, this guy looks really familiar", but I couldn't put my finger on it, and everyone else was being so casual, I assumed that I must have already met him at one of the many parties these friends had thrown and just didn't remember him off the bat.  Then after he left, everybody was talking about Dave Matthews just having a drink with us, and I thought that surely this guy was just an impressive double, because no way that just happened to me.  I finally realized the truth later that night and am thankful that I was ignorant enough of the situation to actually behave with grace  ::).

McCutieBelle

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »
I have a second hand Dave Matthews story :) He plays in our area quite a bit and a friend of mine went to the concert and is a HUGE fan of his music. So he and a bunch of his friends were at a bar after the concert and Dave Matthews comes in!

So they go over and talk to them, have beers, play pool and he pretends he has no clue who Dave Matthews is. They go and part ways and my friend pulls his ticket stub out and says "can you sign this?" and smiles and Dave laughed and signed it.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"