Author Topic: Holiday Cheesecake (Gingersnap Crust & 2 layers: Pumpkin + Hot Buttered Rum)  (Read 4187 times)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Holiday Cheesecake
(I combined 2 recipes: Sources Gourmet, November 1990 and  Bon Appetit, December 2005)

Ingredients:
FOR THE CRUST:
3/4 cup graham cracker or ginger snap crumbs (I used ginger snaps)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled

For the PUMPKIN Filling:
3/4 cup solid pack pumpkin
1 1/2  large eggs
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tablespoon bourbon or whiskey (optional)

For the HOT BUTTERED RUM Filling:
1/4 cup dark rum
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/6 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
FOR THE CRUST:

Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Combine the crumbs, pecans and sugars in a bowl. Stir in melted butter and press mixture into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of springform pan. Chill crust for 1 hour.

FOR THE FILLING:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Layer:
Whisk together pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and brown sugar in a large bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together cream cheese and granulated sugar for about 3 minutes. Add in cream, cornstarch, vanilla and bourbon and mix until incorporated. Add in pumpkin mixture and beat until smooth.

Pour filling into chilled crust and bake the cheesecake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 15 minutes (leaving the oven on).

Hot Buttered Rum Cheesecake Layer:
While Pumpkin layer is cooling, boil rum in small saucepan until reduced to 1/8 cup, about 3 minutes. Cool.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating on low speed just to blend after each addition, occasionally scraping sides of bowl. Beat in spices, then cream, vanilla, and cooled rum just to blend.  Gently pour filling over top of the cooled Pumpkin layer.

Bake 20-25 minutes until top appears set, puffed, and golden at edges but still move slightly in center. 

Remove from oven and let cool in the pan on a rack for at least an hour. Place in refrigerator and chill covered overnight.

Release cheesecake from pan and serve.

Yield: 8-10 servings

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Ms_Shell

Bibliophile, you eeeevil woman! (In a good way!)  Why did you have to include pictures?  ;D *runs away to find cheesecake*
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
 ;D  I'm glad you are enjoying it!  It was tasty tasty tasty!  I accidentally used lowfat cream cheese the first time, it works much better with the regular kind.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

NestHolder

Nom!!!