Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Eating Soup

(1/1)

Thipu1:
The menu said, "Spicy, ice-cold Gazpacho served with traditional accompaniments"

It sounded straight-forward but this menu was on a cruise ship where surprises are likely to happen. 

I ordered the Gazpacho and expected a cold, rosy concoction served in a normal soup-bowl.  I expected a small side plate with croutons and finely chopped onion, tomato and cucumber.  What I received more closely resembled a Bloody Mary. 

My soup was served in the kind of glass that usually serves drinks with names like 'Bahama Mama' or 'Wahini's Downfall'  You know the kind of glass I mean.

The glass has a foot and a stem.  The bottom of the vessel is bulbous and closes into a narrow 'waist'.  Above the 'waist' the glass opens out into a trumpet shape at the rim.  The vessel in question was about eight inches tall.  The soup was garnished with a celery stalk and a hollowed-out cucumber slice that looked for all the world like a life-preserver. The concoction was served with a round soup spoon that was too large to get through the waist.  How can you eat this thing? ???

Here's the method I adopted.

I used the soup spoon to gather as much solid matter as I could from the upper portion of the glass.  Next, I used the celery stalk as a stirrer to scoop and coax solid matter from the bottom of the glass into the top.  Once I figured I'd found all I could with the spoon, I put the celery on a side plate and drank the rest of the gazpacho liquid.  I simply couldn't think of any other way to eat this soup.

BTW, the Gazpacho was wonderful.  The soup was almost as good as I make at home. ;D     

Summrs:
I think you ate it the only way you could.

There comes a time when chic and unique goes a little overboard.  I can see the soup coming in something like a large margarita glass, where at least you could get a spoon into it.

Good thing it was so tasty!  LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version