Author Topic: Would this make me a bad hostess?  (Read 1984 times)

alli_wan

Would this make me a bad hostess?
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:16:57 PM »
I have one week until I'm defending my thesis.  (I took today off, I'll be working tonight.)  After the thesis is done, (and I've recovered) I want to celebrate with my friends (because I never host anything.)

One idea I'm kicking around is having a party (for grown up friends) at one of those paint your own pottery places.  (We did this once on a lark and it was fun for the grown ups in the evening.)  I was considering hosting and paying everyone's paint and kiln fees, but having them pay for their own pottery pieces.  (In case they want a table or something).

Is that rude of me to expect that?  (And I'd mention that in the invite.) 

The place used to allow some food in the evening sessions, so I'd probably bring soda and cups and such, maybe a veggie tray.  (Anything more would get in the way.) 

Any other suggestions welcome.  My apartment is too small to host anything, and I don't have a new job lined up yet so anything I do will be small.

Real Live Mermaids!

Re: Would this make me a bad hostess?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »
That actually sounds like a lot of fun! ;D

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:22:34 PM »
If you have your guests supply or pay for any part of the event, that's fine, but don't set yourself up as the "hostess" or call it a "celebration party".   You are, at that point, the "coordinator" and I don't know what you'd call the event.    

alli_wan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:11 PM »
It's less a congratulatory party than a 'thank god I'm done, but I won't work here anymore so let's do something fun together' type of thing.  I was going to invite some friends from work and other students.  5-6 people.  No fishing for gifts.  Also a bit of thanking them for their support and inviting me to things when I've been unable to reciprocate.  (And several of my friends are really into crafty stuff like I am, which is why I thought it might be fun.)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »
It sounds ok to me, as long as it's in the same vein as other parties in your circle.  Could you specify the price range for the pieces on the invitation? Something like "Pieces start at $X" ...  You also might want to let people know that due to space, the only food will be the sodas & veggie tray.

alli_wan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
well the space issue is more all I can carry, but I'd probably call it 'appetizers'. 

(The space issue is also that it's hard to eat off anything larger than an appetizer plate when you are painting.  I think we actually had the food at a seperate table).  I suppose I could make sandwiches or something too.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »
Some finger sandwiches might be nice, or some cheese (for protein).  Since it'll only be a few people, it shouldn't hit your budget too hard.

BittyB

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:27:34 PM »
I think a lot of those places do party packages, like you can cover X-cost pottery piece and then if they want something bigger they pay extra.  It's just... not really hosted if they have to buy stuff to attend, you know? 

However, you can still do it that way and have them buy their own pieces, but make sure to be up front about it, and I'd include the starting price so they know what to expect to spend to attend.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »
I think a lot of those places do party packages, like you can cover X-cost pottery piece and then if they want something bigger they pay extra.  It's just... not really hosted if they have to buy stuff to attend, you know? 

However, you can still do it that way and have them buy their own pieces, but make sure to be up front about it, and I'd include the starting price so they know what to expect to spend to attend.

The party packages may be worth checking into, but the ones here are geared more towards children (limited choice in paint and pottery) and are still pretty expensive.

alli_wan

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 03:43:35 PM »
I just looked into it and saw there were packages.  So I might do that if I can afford it.  (Fortunately I don't have a ton of friends)  ;)

As for what's usual in our group, we have had a few pay your own outtings, but I've never organized any.  With my work load dropping, and my leaving the social group somewhat, it seemed a good reason to have a fun group outting.

Thanks for your imput everyone.

BittyB

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 04:10:42 PM »
Ah, then last comment (for now): if it's common in your social group I would be a lot less worried about it. :)  So even if you do the pieces as pay your own you are probably not offending anyone in the group so long as they know they need to bring money for it.