Author Topic: Nobody seems to use the real words for anything here  (Read 28145 times)

Becca

Nobody seems to use the real words for anything here
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:25:31 AM »
I know this is probably not a huge issue, but why am I seeing stuff like, "I moved from Puppyland to Catania," and "I speak X, and so-and-so speaks Y" everywhere?  I mean, does it really offend people that much to say something like, "I speak English, and so-and-so speaks French?"  Is there a rule against using real words, or do people just make up pretend terms on their own because they're afraid that someone might be offended at the mention of a particular city/language/religion/custom/whatever?  Either way, I think it's possible to swing too far in the other direction--I mean, with the language example, if the proper words had been used, then someone could easily chime in and say something like, "Oh, I read French for Dummies, and I found it really useful."  But, by speaking in code for everything, I think that kind of blocks off a lot of positive discussion, more so than any potential arguments.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
Re: Nobody seems to use the real words for anything here
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:29:06 AM »
It may be that people simply aren't comfortable revealing that many personal details about themselves on a public website. What seems like random, impersonal info to you may seem private to someone else. As long as the meat of the issue is clear, I don't think the details matter, even if they would lead to some interesting conversation. It's up to the OP how much they are willing to reveal.

Wherever you go.... there you are.

Becca

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:47:38 AM »
It may be that people simply aren't comfortable revealing that many personal details about themselves on a public website. What seems like random, impersonal info to you may seem private to someone else. As long as the meat of the issue is clear, I don't think the details matter, even if they would lead to some interesting conversation. It's up to the OP how much they are willing to reveal.

Oh, okay.....I thought it was an official rule, like I could get banned for saying something like, "I speak English," or "I have a golden retriever" or something like that.

LyraSilverose

• Never tickle a sleeping tiger.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:17:37 AM »
I also think that sometimes people don't want to obscure the question by bringing specifics into it.  For example, saying "I moved from Canada to England" may result in some interesting conversation about both places, but it will likely be entirely off topic and could distract a little too much from the original question, which was "is it rude to ask my mother to deal with getting my cat ready to be moved and have him shipped to me?"  Whereas if they'd said that they moved from Bottleland to Mugitania, this wouldn't happen.
Soft paws and sharp claws a tiger do make.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:24:45 AM »
...also, gay has asterisks in it to prevent weird pop-up ads not because of homophobia.

There is no code or lingo, other than pod; sometimes it is just easier to obscure the item (like religion or politics or ... ) to get to the point if that makes sense.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:00:54 AM »
Also, when it comes to race, it's best to make up different skin colors like green and blue because those threads can also get heated rather quickly.

This very much. I disguise identifying countries, religions and ethnicities not only for this reason, but because I'd like to have people's advice and opinions uncoloured by their views on the country, religion, or ethnicity involved. I realize it's somewhat pointless because my original nationality, nation of residence, old religion and new religion have all been discussed in other threads, but I think using cutesy names lends the best chance of keeping threads I start civil and relatively on-topic.

Julia S

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:34:17 AM »

There is no code or lingo, other than pod;

Don't forget "playing Scrabble". :P

Becca

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »

Then what do you say if you mean the actual board game?

Julia S

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »

Then what do you say if you mean the actual board game?

Usually:

DH and I were playing Scrabble the other night (THE BOARD GAME!!! ;D ;D ;D)

:P

Namárië

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »
Or ScrabbleTM the Game.  ;)
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

PitBullMom

• Punish the deed, not the breed!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »
You know, the term, "Playing Scrabble," has forever been ruined for me!  :P

We were visiting my in-laws over the summer and my MIL says to my GMIL, "How about if we all play a game of Scrabble tonight?"  My heart lurched for a moment before I realized she was talking about the board game, LOL!
~PitBullMom

Don't breed or buy while homeless pets die.  Adopt your soul pet at your local animal shelter.

Becca

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »
So then, a typical post could be something like, "I am Blue, and my husband is Green.  Today, at church, some bacon-fed knave actually told us that we shouldn't play Scrabble without protection, for fear of me getting pregnant with a Turquoise child?"  Do I have that about right?

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »
So then, a typical post could be something like, "I am Blue, and my husband is Green.  Today, at church, some bacon-fed knave actually told us that we shouldn't play Scrabble without protection, for fear of me getting pregnant with a Turquoise child?"  Do I have that about right?
Yep. I understand why it's done, but to be honest, I often find posts confusing, and I don't always think it's necessary (sometimes, not always). In the above example, I just don't see why it's necessary to disguise the religions. It doesn't matter what they are, the 'bacon-fed knave' was rude, so it just seems a little silly to disguise them. An example where I feel it would be necessary would be 'I support political party X, however a coworker supports Political Party Y, and is always trying to get into debates over politics with me.' because, IIRC, it's forbidden here to disclose which political party you support.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »
Yep. I understand why it's done, but to be honest, I often find posts confusing, and I don't always think it's necessary (sometimes, not always). In the above example, I just don't see why it's necessary to disguise the religions. It doesn't matter what they are, the 'bacon-fed knave' was rude, so it just seems a little silly to disguise them. An example where I feel it would be necessary would be 'I support political party X, however a coworker supports Political Party Y, and is always trying to get into debates over politics with me.' because, IIRC, it's forbidden here to disclose which political party you support.
A lot of times it drives me up the wall too, because I get confused. But it's really just that person's choice. So, Becca, you don't HAVE to disguise details about yourself (except political parties, and to be honest, it would be smart to disguise religions just because threads have derailed in the past and people have been banned for religious fights) but if other people choose to do so, you just have to kind of go with it.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 12:41:40 PM »

and people have been banned for religious fights)
Wow, really? I didn't realise! Just when you thought EHell was safe...
 :P