Author Topic: Nobody seems to use the real words for anything here  (Read 27276 times)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
Re: Nobody seems to use the real words for anything here
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »
Is it not possible for you to determine what the rules of the board are by reading the rules of the board?

You'd think, but for a new poster, it can be confusing as there are a lot of unwritten rules and customs. (Like using "pod", which always raises my blood pressure when I see it.)

Actually though, not only is POD included in the "abbreviations & definitions" thread, its the first explanation. http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0
  I don't use it myself anymore, but there is really no reason for anyone to be asking what it means  - if they *do* that sends a pretty clear signal that they haven't bothered looking at any of the threads specifically set up to answer questions.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Nobody seems to use the real words for anything here
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 02:25:45 PM »
I am one of those people who finds it easier to keep up with names than with letters.

I have to admit that I try to pick names out for my posts where they might "telegraph" some pertinent information about the person being talked about.  A loud mouth with recidivist tendencies would be likely to come out being called Archie Bunker, or possibly Archie Bunker's cousin, Bubba Bunker.  A recent example of a thread where someone used names mined from the popular culture as "shorthand" in introducing us to the situation's background and how it is playing out was using names from a famous comic book (Veronica, Archie, Betty, Moose, and so forth...........).
That is actually a bad habit. You may think it telegraphs pertinent information, but what it actually does is creating a prejudice with the readers, before they have read the story, by coloring the person with character flaws that you see in them, and giving the readers a view of how that person comes across to you.

If you really want an unbiased opinion on an issue, from people that have nothing to do with the issue, it is better to use random names. There might still be the possibility, that one person knows someone with the same name, that colors his/her view, but at least not everybody is view will be colored by the name you use

My personal pet peeve is people using descriptions for stores, instead of their name. I know a little bit about American chains, so if you use their name I might know what store it is, but if you use descriptions, based on their looks or their commercials, then all you accomplish is to exclude non-Americans from the thread

You are right - I hadn't thought it out that much..........but I tend to use random names myself.  My biggest issue can be keeping the names the same all the way through the post.  I need to work on setting up the search & replace feature in word processing.  That way I could write up the real names on the computer, run a search & replace with the chosen pseudonyms before copying and pasting to the forum.  But I don't know that I will ever get around to doing that...........so many other things to do!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?