Author Topic: I Feel Like A Two-Year-Old: My Favorite Word is "No."  (Read 7687 times)

Amava

Re: I Feel Like A Two-Year-Old: My Favorite Word is "No."
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 02:23:59 AM »
Yay you!! Gooooo! I love reading about people who stand their ground!

Keep it up!

Allyson

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
It never fails to amaze me that people will ask other people to do their jobs for free, for them! I know a couple of people who took training in, say, massage--and now their friends expect free massages. Which isn't to say it's not totally awesome when someone DOES offer to do it for free, but the key word is 'offer'. Though apparently it happens to all jobs...someone once said in aggravation 'What, do people go up to lawyers and ask for free legal advice?' and a lawyer responded 'actually, yes!'

Also, who are these people who don't take no for an answer? For me, if I ask someone for a favour and they say no, I"m probably going to be too embarrassed to ask for something similar for awhile, feeling I've overstepped.

Tia2

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
It never fails to amaze me that people will ask other people to do their jobs for free, for them! I know a couple of people who took training in, say, massage--and now their friends expect free massages. Which isn't to say it's not totally awesome when someone DOES offer to do it for free, but the key word is 'offer'. Though apparently it happens to all jobs...someone once said in aggravation 'What, do people go up to lawyers and ask for free legal advice?' and a lawyer responded 'actually, yes!'

Also, who are these people who don't take no for an answer? For me, if I ask someone for a favour and they say no, I"m probably going to be too embarrassed to ask for something similar for awhile, feeling I've overstepped.

I've been asked for free legal advice by the therapist while having a facial and massage (in an area I know nothing about!).  My boss had to stop drinking in his local pub because it was turning into a legal advice clinic.  Also, he was once asked for legal advice while lying on a hospital trolley in Casualty (UK ER) with a bone sticking out of his ankle.  At least that was by another patient and not by another member of staff.

Believe me, it happens all the time.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 06:36:21 AM »

Good for you!!!

mutters about *something for nothing* shakes head.
Stewart/Colbert '16

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 03:22:11 PM »
  Well, if it were me I'd be thinking ....I really need the car washed and a few other things sooooo

I need you to tutor me

Ok in order to make time for that I'll need you to wash my laundry , drive to the Dr. and pick up the coat that was forgotten , pick up library book,  do my dishes and peel ten pounds of potatoes  ;D I really hate pealing potatoes.

Or you could just do exactly what your doing ;D

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
I didn't invent the "Toots Special" name. I saw it in another thread, but I can't think of which one.
I forgot what thread it was, but I started calling Toots's excellent single-phrase-repeat technique this. Just seems to fit.

And this is the perfect use of it! I think you're doing great!

I'd be tempted to lecture them about plagiarism and cheating (asking you to write their final essay) but really, your approach is spot on.

Change nothing.  8)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.