Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Facebook Etiquette

<< < (9/9)

sunnygirl:

--- Quote from: JeseC on January 26, 2013, 06:53:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Cz. Burrito on December 30, 2009, 03:00:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: blarg314 on December 21, 2009, 03:17:16 AM ---There is no rule that requires people to *not* comment on a posted link or item.

--- End quote ---

I was shocked that this needed to be stated, until I heard one of the DJs on the radio this morning complaining about "serial commenters" who comment on every status update.  Really?  You posted something in public and are upset to be getting attention for it?!

--- End quote ---

I think the best rule for this is to apply the same rules to facebook comments as you would to conversations in a public place.  It is not typically rude to jump into a conversation between acquaintances, but insisting on being part of every conversation might be in bad taste.  Especially if you have nothing of substance to add to that particular conversation.  Similarly, don't hijack facebook conversations to be about your pet topic - I've known of a few people on fb who have the tendency to do this.

--- End quote ---

I agree. I think it depends how it's done, and the relationship between you and the other person. If it's someone I know quite well, it's fine, but if not it can sometimes be a bit creepy or stalker-like. Practically every woman I know has a story of friending some guy she doesn't know or doesn't know well (like a co-worker or something), and having him immediately start 'liking' or commenting on everything single thing she posts - occasionally even going through years' of old posts and pics to like them. It's the equivalent of being introduced to someone at a party or at work, and them following you around the entire day laughing loudly at everything you say, no matter who it was aimed at.

Syrse:
- Do not take a picture of a friend's ultrasound with your phone to upload on facebook. Don't act all surprised if she yells at you. 'Oh, I didn't realize you didn't tell everyone yet' is not an acceptable excuse. If it's not your news to share, then stay out of it!

- Oh, and bonus points for people who post every single ultrasound when they know there are friends out there trying to have kids, then act all surprised when said friends remove them from the feed list.

- Do not post pictures of teddy bears being hanged. I will defriend you.

bloo:

--- Quote from: Syrse on April 06, 2013, 07:43:38 PM ---- Do not take a picture of a friend's ultrasound with your phone to upload on facebook. Don't act all surprised if she yells at you. 'Oh, I didn't realize you didn't tell everyone yet' is not an acceptable excuse. If it's not your news to share, then stay out of it!

- Oh, and bonus points for people who post every single ultrasound when they know there are friends out there trying to have kids, then act all surprised when said friends remove them from the feed list.

- Do not post pictures of teddy bears being hanged. I will defriend you.

--- End quote ---

These are excellent points but I wanted to comment on your second point.

On the flip side - If you're trying very hard to have kids, it is not going to be cathartic or therapeutic to post (daily) updates spewing, at best, snark, or at worst, vitriol directed at parents that jokingly complain about some parenting annoyance.

Insert whatever struggle you're having...but spewing at those who do not have that struggle and are making minor complaints or jokes is not helpful and may get you blocked or unfriended.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version