Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Santa Wants To Toss Eldest Daughter Into Ehell, Too  (Read 10107 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: From E-Hell Blog: Santa Wants To Toss Eldest Daughter Into Ehell, Too
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
I think the parents have taught this girl her massive sense of entitlement or they would not have passed on those presumptuous wish lists or expected the OP to travel with such massive items on public transport.

Sometimes it does take a village and I think this is one of those examples.  This girl will learn when the rest of the world starts letting her know that her behavior will not be tolerated.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »

As my brother’s children have grown up they have gotten a bit more “grabby” each year when it comes to Christmas presents. About 5 years ago I was emailed a list of “Eldest Daughter (ED) would like ….”, ”Youngest Daughter (YD) would like ..”,  and “Youngest Child (the son) YC) would like …”. This wasn’t a “please choose one item from the list” this was a request for over £300 of items per child. Now OK I have a reasonably good job, but I live in the capital and costs are commensurately higher. To be asked to shell out £900 for presents was pushing things. Additionally some of the items were large (YS wanted a drum kit !) and trying to travel with those would be nearly impossible for me.

£300 of items per child is completely unreasonable; £100 of items per child is also unreasonable from any one person (except the parents) when the oldest child is 8.

However, for the giver to take away the gift token to split between the other children wasn't right.  He should have informed Little Miss Entitled that henceforth she would receive no more gifts for her rudeness and ingratitude.

Finally, to expect auto-less people to travel with large items like this is a tremendous imposition.

I agree with this.  I wouldn't have obviously and vocally taken away the gift, already given in my opinion, from an eight-year-old no matter how bratty.  There would most certainly be ramifications next year however.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

CNN

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 12:17:42 PM »
 ??? Excuse me, she's eight, people, eight. Where I come from, that is old enough. My uncle, not my Dad, would have spanked the living daylights out of me, and I most likely would have never received a single thing from him for the rest of his life. I would have been informed, right to my face, of this fact.

kitchenscratch

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 04:20:17 PM »
Mow much do you want to bet that brother intercepted those gift tokens and gave them to ED? Or made the other two share their tokens with her?
Exactly. I thought that taking ED's card and dividing it between the other two was 1. taking it too far and 2. illogical.

But I definitely would have taken away ED's gift card, and told her why I was taking it away.

Goog

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
Take it away and show the girl just what her hissy fit cost her?  Oh, you bet.  If she's that entitled and rude at 8, then I'd say she needs a little comeuppance.  She's plenty old enough to say thank you and try to be gracious.  And if she acts like that when someone gives her a gift--any gift--then I don't think it's at all inappropriate to say to her 'too bad, so sad' and let her stew in her own regrets. 

One time when I was pretty little, maybe 6 or so, my sister wrapped up a present for me and put it under the Christmas tree.  It was soft and felt like clothes were inside the package (no box).  Getting clothes for a Christmas gift at that point in my life was just horrible.  I remember telling my sister, glumly, that it was clothes and yuk, I don't want clothes, or something like that.  She said "Are you SURE it's clothes?"  The way she said it made me shut up about it, even though I couldn't imagine what the soft package could be other that the dreaded clothing, but I realized I didn't know, for sure, and she got me thinking.  So on Christmas eve, I finally got to open the package.  Did I find the dreaded clothes?  NO!!  I found a doll blanket!  I learned a very important lesson by that--a gift is a gift, and be darn careful before you say you don't want something, b/c it may turn out that it's something that you really want after all.

But, I don't think I would have given the extra money to the brother and sister.  That type of thing fosters competition and with the 8 year old being that entitled, I could see her destroying anything that she perceived her brother and sister got with 'her' money.  Or just taking whatever from them b/c she perceives it as 'hers'.  I would have just kept it to offset the greediness of the parents in dictating how much the uncle should spend on the children.  And yup, if the parents raised that kid, then I wouldn't doubt that they did end up giving her the two tokens just to keep her from engaging in more entitled-princess-screaming-fits.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 06:01:42 AM »
Just for the record, my 22-month-old niece didn't have any problem saying "Thank you" for her Xmas presents earlier today. Although she occasionly had to be pointed in the direction of the right person if the gift giver isn't right in front of her.  ;D

A cousin of mine once thanked my father for ALL her gifts, no matter who the giver... because she was SURE Uncle T was santa, since he was fat and has a white beard.

I can't decide if thats a compliment or an insult!!  :D
Stewart/Colbert '16

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »
Just for the record, my 22-month-old niece didn't have any problem saying "Thank you" for her Xmas presents earlier today. Although she occasionly had to be pointed in the direction of the right person if the gift giver isn't right in front of her.  ;D

A cousin of mine once thanked my father for ALL her gifts, no matter who the giver... because she was SURE Uncle T was santa, since he was fat and has a white beard.

I can't decide if thats a compliment or an insult!!  :D

He loves it.

He REALLY loves when kids stop him on the street and give him their christmas lists.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »

@Kimblee

8)
Stewart/Colbert '16

claddagh lass

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
He loves it.

He REALLY loves when kids stop him on the street and give him their christmas lists.

That's so cute!  :D

Precarious Armada

• This sig is witty, memorable, and eminently quotable
  • Off in my own little world...
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
I think the OP did right to deny the 8 year old the voucher after her bad behavior - it needed correcting, and right then and there is the most effective way. However, I think the voucher might have been better directed to a charity rather than the other two children, simply to protect them from 8 year old's behavior.

loner

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
I think he did the right thing by sending the gift card to the two younger children.  I could see the parents convincing themselves that the uncle had just taken the token back because he didn't want to spend that much money on their children and not because of the daughter's behavior.  If the ed learned about accepting gifts graciously then it was $100 that she spent well.

secretrebel

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »
Taking the gift card away is one thing but then sending it as an extra gift to the other two children seems so calculated and cruel.

The parent should have rebuked the child, sure. But seeing as the entitlement and greediness seems to have come from the parent, the child is behaving as she has been taught.

Her tantrum lost her the toy and the gift card and that could have been a lesson learned. But by sending more to the other two children the letter writer seems personally invested in having the child suffer. After the initial incident has happened and upset the child, here it is all over again, a reminder of how rude you were and here's another punishment. Why not give the toy and card to charity rather than beating this unfortunate 8-year-old over the head with how she's doesn't deserve a present.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
Taking the gift away- absolutely right. A child needs to learn that acting in a rude/inconsiderate/heinous ways has consequences.
I also agree it would have been better to give the toy and gift card to a charity. I guess at that point I would have told her: "You know, there are children out-there who are poor, some don't even have a family- and no one is surrounding them with Xmas gifts. "
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)