We're finally getting Mom set up with email!
Before you set her up with email, have you gone over general computer safety/ security? I would think THAT is more important than using email - because once you have a good background on safety and security, you know what you can do with Email.
1. MAKE SURE *yes I'm shouting* she has a CURRENT WORKING anti virus.
2. No banking activity for at least a few months, let her learn first.
3. Until she's comfortable, do NOT get her on Facebook and Twitter. Too many malicious programs being created JUST for those two.
4. Use a web based email address, not an ISP address (comcast.com, att.com) because web based emails (gmail, hotmail, yahoo) are EASIER to get to online in different places. And if you change accounts/carriers, well, you're hosed.
5. Do NOT sign up online for any kind of sweepstakes or coupons or things like that. IF you subscribe, beware of the ramifications: spam etc. Only for logins to newspapers/ create accounts on websites.
6. Wireless in public = NO PERSONAL INFO BEING TYPED/SENT ETC. Wireless = easy to hack & listen.
- Strong passwords have 8 or more characters
Uppercase and lowercase letters
Also has numbers
Example ! @ # $ % ^ (shift 1 2 3 4 5 6)
- Donít click on pop-ups when online Ė
ESPECIALLY when they say ďYouíre Infected! Click here to install a cleaner program!Ē
Don't automatically open email attachments.
If you donít know who is sending it, donít open it.
If you donít know what the attachment is about, donít open it. Even if you know sender.
I have a powerpoint presentation you may want to look over. PM me if you do.