News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 04, 2016, 11:16:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are basics of hosting regarding tech: SO on wifi thread  (Read 3811 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What are basics of hosting regarding tech: SO on wifi thread
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 05:23:13 AM »
I would have no problem with people recharging phones and devices because I wouldn't want anyone driving home with a phone not charged. I have enough outlets that it's not a problem.

For shorter social visits I wouldn't give the wifi password unless someone asked for it, and I would have to find it. Most people I know would only ask for it if they had a specific need for going online, for instance looking up some necessary information. The only problem I would see with the wifi situation would be those people who can't seem to put their devices down to socialize with those around them. I don't care to have people that I'm trying to socialize with checking their facebook page, but most people I know don't do that anyway.

I wouldn't feel comfortable letting someone use my laptop because I have a lot of personal stuff on it. I tend to stay logged in to my own account all the time.

I've been hosted by people who can't tear themselves away from this.  Facebook is such a huge time-stealer.

I'm also logged into my own account all the time.  Too much work to remember all those passwords.

Clareish

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
As from the other thread, my views are pretty limited on sharing wifi. I am happy to do so with guests overnight, but I am taken aback when I am asked for it by visitors who are there for a few hours. There's a few reasons. Each time I have been asked, it's never, "Oh, would you mind sharing your wifi?" but rather, "what's your wifi password?" There's a difference there to me, and an entitlement that gets under my skin. Also, I always have to wonder why someone would need wifi (unless it's something specific for us during the visit, ex. movie times, google a debate issue we're discussing, etc.).

In the other thread, it was assumed that there might be a generational gap here, and I don't really believe so. I am in my 20s, and I am pretty addicted to my smartphone, but not when I am visiting. I can think of a few times I have even asked for wifi password, and it has really only happened if I am out of country, visiting for a few days. So, there's huge roaming charges involved if I use my data plan. I mentioned in the other thread that my aunt and uncle do not seem comfortable sharing their wifi, so I simply make sure I have my data plan topped up for those visits.

My view in a nutshell: up to the host/hostess, and if they do decide to share their wifi, it is a lovely gesture, and not something that should be expected.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
As from the other thread, my views are pretty limited on sharing wifi. I am happy to do so with guests overnight, but I am taken aback when I am asked for it by visitors who are there for a few hours. There's a few reasons. Each time I have been asked, it's never, "Oh, would you mind sharing your wifi?" but rather, "what's your wifi password?" There's a difference there to me, and an entitlement that gets under my skin. Also, I always have to wonder why someone would need wifi (unless it's something specific for us during the visit, ex. movie times, google a debate issue we're discussing, etc.).

This is kind of how i feel as well. And if someone were to ask me for my wi fi pw, who was only there for a short while, well, I also would have to hunt it down, so i'd probably say, what do you need, i can look it up for you on my ipad...which is already connected. But someone coming overnight or for a weekend, I'll offer it up, if i know they'll have a device that might need it.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2016, 07:42:04 PM »
I provide the wifi for anyone who asks.  It is not a capped plan (if it was, I would probably be different) and I know that some people (myself included) have limited data plans.

When my friends come over for a (casual) get-together, often we do things that would eat cellular data, like stream music.  There's also at least 3-4 YouTube videos that we watch and laugh at.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2016, 10:44:15 AM »
I see sharing wifi to be similar to ice in their waterglass.  It's not a necessity and not everyone desires it, but it will make some guests' visits more enjoyable.  If you don't have any to spare, that's fine.  If you have plenty and it doesn't cost you resources to use more, why not?

I like this analogy.

I don't think that wifi access is part of basic hosting - and I sure don't think that allowing other people to use my devices is part of basic hosting either.

Need to charge your phone/tablet/laptop?  Sure, go ahead and plug in. (I just hope you have the appropriate converter/charger/cables!  I can remember an occasion where an acquaintance wanted to charge her iphone and was very peeved that we didn't have any cables she could use.  The fact that neither my DH or myself have apple devices didn't seem to register.) 

But my internet access (satellite) is capped and very expensive, and since I work from home I need to be very very careful of the usage.  So guests (not even overnight or long-term) don't get to have the wifi password.  And I can't even imagine a guest expecting to use my laptop or any other device.  I am not going to share those either.  If you want to see something that is on my laptop or tablet, I will show you, but I am not going to just hand it over.

I'm on good-old high-loss copper cabling, and a capped plan.  Having moved from the county town to middle-of-nowhere [well as close as can be managed in SE of UK!], and being delighted to regularly get >2Mbps download speeds I was astonished when the engineer hooked up the WiFi router and I was back to <1Mbps speeds.  :'(

So the WiFi router went back in its box [which is in one of the half-dozen boxes that will be dealt with when we have more than one habitable room], and goodness knows where the password is written down!  [Engineer gave me a "secure" one, so it's not memorable.]  If we got the promised/charged for [yeah, I know it's "up to"] 8Mbps, I would compromise and use the wireless router for <4Mbps and give the password [that I would have to find] to friends/overnight guests if they asked nicely.  [Had a workman demanding it one time (before I disconnected it); that did not go over well, and I just kept repeating "I do not know what it is?" until he got the message!]

I offer anyone the use of the landline, and say if they need to be contacted in an emergency please call <whoever> and tell them the number [very unreliable mobile signal (which did not improve with the wireless router, despite what I was advised)], but the laptop is not available without me being there to pilot it [not risking my photos/docs being looked at].

Power sockets/outlets?  Got loads of those to spare [we have had the house re-wired/re-plumbed, it's just the rest that needs doing!], so help yourself to any that are free!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich