News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 25, 2017, 06:03:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Food in the Bedrooms - Rude?  (Read 3275 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: No Food in the Bedrooms - Rude?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
Not rude at all, and I wouldn't make a big deal of it.  "Our house rule is that there is no food in the bedrooms - I know you wouldn't like to wake up with ants crawling all over your floor."  In the summer here I live ants are a serious problem, and it's not uncommon to ask your friends what their doing about their ants, without even bothering to ask if they have ants.

I agree with GardenGal, but would shorten it a bit - that might make her think a bit more carefully?

I'm in my kitchen, and have just put down ant powder and spritzed the top corner of one window with Raid, but half of them are flying ants, so the 'crawling all over' thing is not a fantasy.  Ugh: the odd one [most are now dead] keeps landing on me, and I'm squishing them, but they smell.  I'd hate to have that happen whilst I was asleep.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:34 PM »
I think that it's good housekeeping to have that rule!

That said - I know that enforcing it is a constant struggle.   Good luck.

DD was cleaning up after a house guest in her own home - and found candy wrappers under the mattress of the bed the guest had been using, crumbs in the sheets, and other stuff under the bed.  The house guest is on the "no sleeping at our house" list at this point - with her spouse fully aware of the reason why the former house guest is no longer welcome in their home

Edited in color to clarify a couple of things.

I can remember thinking that three hours to clean a small closet to get *everything* out of the carpet, off the shelves, and the ant trails off of the walls, floor, and the area between that pantry to the garage (the doors when opened banged into each other - hinges were in the same corner - the ants didn't have far to go, even as ants would measure distance).  Then putting everything back in as I wiped containers off & put all food in flimsy wrappings into more solid containers - that were bug & other vermin proof (I hoped). 

I still learned that checking that all four sides had sealed when someone else was the last one to handle the container wasn't a bad idea.  Just in case - as Phoenix, Arizona never gets cold enough to kill bugs or even slow them down.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

rain

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
OP have you restated your rules?

Of so, what were the results?
In search of a tag line

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »
Ants are attracted by water too and I don't think it is reasonable to not let people have water in their rooms. YMMV

I'd never heard of that before! The no water rule makes more sense then.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 05:12:02 AM »
Are these "guests" of your hospitality or do they pay to stay in your home?    I am confused on this as to some of the things you have posted.

This the daughter of some dear friends, so no payment is being made. (Though her parents were kind enough to send us over some of the goodies we miss and can't find here.)

We do sometimes have students to stay, acting as a host family, and the academy that runs their courses pays us for this. I'm guessing this is where the confusion will have arisen, and my apologies for that.

The doors just happen to have keys in them, never even registered to remove them as usually it's just me and DH.

SiotehCat, I get your point but it's *very* expensive to leave aircon running constantly; the increase in our electric bills during the summer months will testify to that. Hotels can recoup the cost through their charges but in a private home I don't think it's unreasonable to ask guests to use it only when they are there to feel its benefits; the units cool the room in moments. In most cases they are free to choose to stay elsewhere, as you would, if this is unacceptable to them.

All this has been somewhat pushed aside as our houseguest arrived home at 7.30am, in tears and barefoot, after an incident with my former friend Rachel who featured in another thread of mine. http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=142700.0

Friend's daughter - who I will now call Paula - was out with Rachel last night and staying at her place.
Early this morning, drunk Rachel took exception to something incredibly minor and went off on one, as she does....threw insults and then threw Paula out in just her PJs, she walked home barefoot and incredibly upset having left behind her purse & belongings. (Luckily it was already light and a short walk through the village of about 15 minutes.)

Managed to calm Paula down and get her to go and get some rest; DH and I will retrieve her belongings later.  :'( >:(
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
Oh no! Poor Paula.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chez Miriam

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
Crikey!

I thought you were well off edging carefully away from Rachel, but now I think running in the opposite direction is sensible?

Hope Paula is soon OK, and you have no problems collecting her things from Rachel...
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
Nothing helpful to say other than it really seems that Rachel is not up to "entertaining" people in her home at this time. 

She is entertaining those of us who are only hearing about her antics - not those who have to be in her presence.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

kudeebee

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 06:00:40 PM »
We have that rule.  Food spilled in bedrooms can damage furniture and carpet as well as lure ants and other bugs. That is something that we don't want to happen, thus the rule.  It applies to guests and to us.

I also have no problem politely reminding guests of the rule.

bopper

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »
Another thing is to let them have consequences for their behavior:  "Paula, when you leave the AC on all day that costs us an additional $10 per day. You can either keep it off or pay us up front."  "No food in the room...if you get ants in your room they may crawl in your suitcase and lay eggs (or soemthing gross /we will send you the bill for the exterminator."