News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 30, 2016, 05:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kid's Halloween party--first time hosting--Request for feedback and ideas  (Read 1102 times)

MOM21SON

Re: Kid's Halloween party--first time hosting--Request for feedback and ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »
For dinner, they can make their own.

Get pizza dough, like bobbilli?  set out sauce and toppings.  Have them make a scary pizza.  You cook the pizzas and let them play and discuss who has the scariest pizza.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 08:48:45 PM »
For dinner, they can make their own.

Get pizza dough, like bobbilli?  set out sauce and toppings.  Have them make a scary pizza.  You cook the pizzas and let them play and discuss who has the scariest pizza.

Or you can use pitas as the crust.  I do that all the time for myself.

I agree with doodlemor that getting some protein into them before the sugar will help.  I do really like the idea of the mummy dogs with the pillsbury dough.

If you can get your hands on some dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide), it will give you some cool fog effect for your haunted house in the basement.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

cross_patch

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 02:07:34 AM »
I'm going agains the grain here with suggesting that you mention on the invites that it's not a dinner party. Maybe wording it as "after dinner snacks and dessert will be served" Yes, starting at 6pm is dinner hour but you will have to have the first hour for the meal before going on to the activities.

I need to run right now, but I'll post other suggestions (for games) if your interested.

I think that would be pretty rubbish hosting between 6-9 to be honest- that's right over dinner.

Alicia

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 03:30:01 AM »
You need real dinner. Ideally high protein not carb as too much sugar over halloween. I would do chicken fingers and hot dogs . I would worry less about them being cute and more about getting protein into the kids. If you were skipping dinner i would not let my kid go.

Alicia

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 04:02:07 AM »
when is trick or treat in your area?

Betelnut

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »
when is trick or treat in your area?

It will be the normal time--on Halloween.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It looks like I need to provide a meal. I like the scary pigs in a blanket! Plus I can always get pizzas.

Keep activity ideas coming as well as the food ideas! You guys are the best!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

crazycatlady331

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »
Put out a bowl of 'eyeballs' (peeled grapes).  Scary looking, tasty, and have nutritional value.

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 09:13:44 PM »
I've done make your own pizza - I have a breadmaker...  I made three white bread batches (I know it wasn't proper pizza bread, but such is life) and I polled all the invitees to see what toppings they liked on their pizza.  Using every small bowl I owned, I had ALL THE TOPPINGS on the table, and a small pizza round for each attendee (parents too).  And I baked them 3 at a time (or so).  It worked beautifully!  I made sure to ask what toppings were wanted, because I know I passionately dislike Hawaiian pizza, while some love it, and I wanted everybody to be happy.  Worked like a charm.  I think I started getting the bread dough made 2 or 3 days before, and parted it out into little balls the night before.  Chopped all the bits that morning.

For DD#2's birthday one year (3rd or 4th grade), she wanted a Halloween themed party.  I don't remember what I used to form the cake (pyrex pans?  Really can't recall...) but I made her an Eyeball cake, that was a bit more than a half round dome.  It was Devils Food, because that's what she wanted.  And I made buttercream frosting (because I like to) and colored it with Wilton gel colors.  Hazel iris, because #2 has hazel eyes.   And deep maroon for the veins on the cake.  It looked PERFECT, to the point that several of the girls would not eat it, even after it was cut into and shown to be normal cake under the frosting...  Just a thought!  I had so much fun making the stuff for that party!!!! 
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

Oh Joy

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »
I would add a couple of very simple foods, like carrot sticks/pretzels (sometimes you can find holiday-themed, like jack o'lantern shaped)/almonds to the mix.  With 20 guests, there will probably be at least a couple who either are navigating allergies or just don't like sweets.  Plus, they just can taste good to balance out the other foods, even to kids.

Have fun!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 08:05:49 AM »
I made a Frankenstein's Monster cake out of a 13x9" sheet cake covered in green frosting then with black for the hair. It was so much fun!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

lowspark

I agree with PPs who said not to make anything too icky looking, or involving foods (like olives) that many kids don't like. Personally, I would stick with normal foods such as hot dogs, chicken fingers, pizza, etc. that kids like, and do a decorated cake for the Halloween theme. Lots less work and much more likely to be eaten and liked.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

blarg314

I think I'd move the whole thing an hour earlier, to fit with family variations in bedtime (and give a little more time for kids to get home and wind down).

Definitely serve dinner food. Hotdogs or pizza are fine.

What about having them decorate graham cracker 'gingerbread' houses to make their own haunted houses? You can make the structures ahead of time and let them dry, and use halloween themed candy.