News:

• April 22, 2018, 12:19:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm in charge of the food...  (Read 2634 times)

Roe

Re: I'm in charge of the food...
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »
The shower was 2 weeks ago and I just wanted to say "thank you" for the suggestions.  It went well and we had plenty of food for everyone. No one went away hungry.  :) 

EmmaJ.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »
I have a question about the grazing table.  It looks gorgeous any positvely yummy, but how do you serve yourself?  I see uncut cheese, nuts scattered directly onto the tablecloth, halved pomegranates, etc., but no serving utensils.  I would be uncomfortabe picking up food wths my fingers and holding a plate with one hand and trying to cut cheese with the other would be difficult.  Or do you appoint someone (hpoefully wearing gloves) to slice the food and serve the guests?

blarg314

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
I have a question about the grazing table.  It looks gorgeous any positvely yummy, but how do you serve yourself?  I see uncut cheese, nuts scattered directly onto the tablecloth, halved pomegranates, etc., but no serving utensils.  I would be uncomfortabe picking up food wths my fingers and holding a plate with one hand and trying to cut cheese with the other would be difficult.  Or do you appoint someone (hpoefully wearing gloves) to slice the food and serve the guests?

I looked at the photo, and that looks like a nightmare from a practical viewpoint. It's Instagram pretty now, but will look like a garbage heap in about 15 minutes. The pomegranates are definitely for decoration - you couldn't eat that without spraying red stains over your clothing. And if you tried to cut the cheese, you'd be knocking other food all over the place.

For something that won't look as pretty on a photo, but would have the same concept, I'd have a large cheese board, or several small ones, with knives to slice/spread cheese, and maybe the harder cheeses pre-sliced, and crackers in napkin lined baskets next to it. Nice bowls  for the dips and small bowls or platters of nuts and olives, with appropriate serving utensils, spread around. The fruit would be sliced and nicely arranged, but on plates or bowls, and in a ready to eat state.

For decorations, you could start with a plain coloured tablecloth, and then scatter fresh (or fake) flowers and leaves between the serving dishes, leaving room for people to put down their plates for serving near the cheese section. Then put larger decorations, like flower vases, at the back where they won't get knocked over.

browzer11

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 11:22:44 PM »
"And if you tried to cut the cheese, you'd be knocking other food all over the place."

Probably a few people also.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »

I didn't analyze this specific photo too much, just showing more the idea. But looking at the photo, yes the pomegranates are for decoration as are any of the unshelled nuts or the halved kiwi. There are cheese knives in each of the "soft" cheeses. If you bring your cheeses to appropriate temperature, cutting off a little bit should cause you distress or incur a chance of stabbing another guest. In my experience, cutting cheese from a table like this or cutting it from a cheese board is about the same. I agree the photo is missing serving forks and tongs for the fruit, meats and crackers.

As far as looking messy, 15 minutes in, I didn't find that to be the case at the events I've attended where these were set up. No more than a half empty tray of fruit or cheese and crackers. And the ones that I do remember, had the smaller items like nuts in some type of container to make it easier to access.

Roe

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »
For a 2pm shower I'd go with mostly finger food.
Love the idea of the charcuterie. What's really popular in our area right now is what is referred to as a "grazing table". Basically a long board that extends the length of the table loaded with charcuterie, cheeses, dried fruitss, breads, crackers, spreads, nuts and olives. They really are impressive and are great for the afternoon type events. Something like this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMm78XAAKiY/

If are you going to do the more individual snacking food, the cheesy pull apart breads are a major hit with men and women. At last super bowl party, one was demolished within minutes of coming out of the oven. I think this was the recipe she used.
https://www.fivehearthome.com/cheesy-pull-apart-bread-with-bacon-garlic-cheddar-swiss/

What's great about it, is you can prepare it ahead of time and then throw in the oven at the hosts home while your setting up all the other food. I actually think it would be fun to have 2 or 3 of these with different flavorings... maybe one that is bacon focused, another with italian seasonings and pepperoni and one with no meats.

edited to fix typing; Thanks Harriet!

I have no idea how I missed this post.  With the grazing table discussion, I had to go back to see what I missed.  I'm ABSOLUTELY making that bread.  I know my guys would devour that almost instantly.  My mom also enjoys all types of bread and I think this might go well with a Mother's Day brunch, esp with all of the guys in our family.  ;) 

Thanks for the grazing table idea!  I think I might try a small version for a family event we have planned.  Thank you for the bread recipe.  Sounds amazing.