News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 23, 2017, 07:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How far out would you send invitations?  (Read 1273 times)

gellchom

Re: How far out would you send invitations?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
On the current line of discussion, I can't imagine getting a hotel for an event less than 2 hours from home, even one that went pretty late into the night, so I would be surprised if anyone other than your in-laws is interested in the block. But I suppose you know your guests better than we do.
Generally, I'd say, two months should be plenty of notice where the majority of guests' decision regarding the hotel isn't going to define whether they're able to attend in general.

I think that sometimes some people like to stay over if they are going to be drinking and/or if the event is going to end very late.

miranova

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 04:59:48 PM »
We live 1.5 hours from a major city (give or take) and we are there all the time for various work-related and vacation reasons.  We often get a hotel room if we are planning to be there late at night.  It's just not that fun to drive home at midnight when we are exhausted.  I wouldn't discount someone wanting a hotel room.

Oh Joy

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »
On the current line of discussion, I can't imagine getting a hotel for an event less than 2 hours from home, even one that went pretty late into the night, so I would be surprised if anyone other than your in-laws is interested in the block. But I suppose you know your guests better than we do.
Generally, I'd say, two months should be plenty of notice where the majority of guests' decision regarding the hotel isn't going to define whether they're able to attend in general.

I can totally see how this would seem strange, but it's not uncommon around here to just stay in the city overnight even as a local. 

For example, we live 20 minutes from Minneapolis, my husband's office is there, and we're both in and out of the city throughout the week, so it's not a novelty to go there.  On Saturday night, we drove the kids an hour away (literally right past downtowns Minneapolis and St. Paul) to a party at a friend's house and never would think of getting a hotel near their house.  But next month we've got cheap show tickets in Minneapolis on a Saturday night, so we booked a room to stay over just because.  That factor multiplies around here if you're going to have a couple of cocktails during the evening. 

But you don't do it every time you go into the city, some people never do, some people very often do...kind of hard to describe, I guess.   :)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »

I can totally see how this would seem strange, but it's not uncommon around here to just stay in the city overnight even as a local. 

For example, we live 20 minutes from Minneapolis, my husband's office is there, and we're both in and out of the city throughout the week, so it's not a novelty to go there.  On Saturday night, we drove the kids an hour away (literally right past downtowns Minneapolis and St. Paul) to a party at a friend's house and never would think of getting a hotel near their house.  But next month we've got cheap show tickets in Minneapolis on a Saturday night, so we booked a room to stay over just because.  That factor multiplies around here if you're going to have a couple of cocktails during the evening. 

But you don't do it every time you go into the city, some people never do, some people very often do...kind of hard to describe, I guess.   :)

I have friends that live in a northern suburb of Orlando, but they love staying in hotels, and will if there is a concert or convention in town, even though it's a 30 minute drive for them.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

HannahGrace

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »

I have friends that live in a northern suburb of Orlando, but they love staying in hotels, and will if there is a concert or convention in town, even though it's a 30 minute drive for them.

I'm with #borecore. This seems so strange to me, to stay in a hotel that's 20/30 minutes away from your home, and I would not expect anyone to be booking such a hotel months in advance for an anniversary party.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:54 AM »

I'm with #borecore. This seems so strange to me, to stay in a hotel that's 20/30 minutes away from your home, and I would not expect anyone to be booking such a hotel months in advance for an anniversary party.

Well, in order to get the lower rate they have to book the hotel at least a month before the event. OP is giving people information so they can make an informed decision, not telling them what to do. 
Maryland