News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 28, 2016, 10:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I provide dinner for campsite- but someone there invites all neighboring sites!  (Read 5342 times)

gramma dishes

I love happy endings!   :)

lowspark

I have been following this thread but had no comment until now. It sounds to me like Honey is really a very nice and generous person. She really wants to share and maybe before now, she just didn't think about there not being enough.

She took what you said to heart regarding not inviting others at mealtime, but made sure to bring enough dessert so that there would be plenty to share with a spur-of-the-moment acquaintance at camp. That, combined with the fact that Honey & Ralph's sole purpose is (apparently) to help out (probably they enjoy it too, but after all, helping is their main purpose), I have to say that Honey seems like a really nice person.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

rose red

Op here - it was a lot better than before.

We were getting our camping chairs set up, table set up to arrange the food, and Honey was over talking to some people over in another campsite that aren't with our group, just campers.  I wasn't staring at her, but did notice that she was over there and wondered if she was going to invite them to join us.  When she came back to our site (alone) she seemed fine, we all ate, talked, and had a nice dinner.  Honey then waved the other campers (2 adults, 2 kids) over for dessert, which Honey had brought and there was plenty of it (large cake). 

So, since she brought it I can't say much, and in fact it ended up being nice to talk with this family.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this makes it sound like you wanted to say something, but I'm puzzled why. It's rude for her to invite others to share your food, but she's sharing her food this time.

Runningstar

Op here - it was a lot better than before.

We were getting our camping chairs set up, table set up to arrange the food, and Honey was over talking to some people over in another campsite that aren't with our group, just campers.  I wasn't staring at her, but did notice that she was over there and wondered if she was going to invite them to join us.  When she came back to our site (alone) she seemed fine, we all ate, talked, and had a nice dinner.  Honey then waved the other campers (2 adults, 2 kids) over for dessert, which Honey had brought and there was plenty of it (large cake). 

So, since she brought it I can't say much, and in fact it ended up being nice to talk with this family.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this makes it sound like you wanted to say something, but I'm puzzled why. It's rude for her to invite others to share your food, but she's sharing her food this time.

I did want to.  To me it just wasn't a safe thing to do, inviting strangers over no matter how nice they seem.   She is very friendly and welcoming, but she invited strangers over and then later she went home to her house while we slept in a couple of tents. 

I believe that I need to take a break from camping next month (which would be the last time this year) and start fresh next summer with her.  Because no matter how I put it - it does sound like I'm picking on her, and I don't want to do that. 

Zizi-K

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand the perceived danger here. You were both campers at a campsite. By inviting them over to share a piece of cake on your picnic table, you put yourself at risk for bodily harm or ??? Couldn't they do that just as easily if they hadn't met and socialized with you? If you think of it that way, that all you have as protection is a tent, then camping is a very scary activity indeed! Your reaction seems strange to me. I don't know.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
I understand your reaction, OP. Honey seems to be a very nice person, but perhaps on the extreme end of being nice.

Camping is fun, but it can be dangerous. I would not be comfortable having relative strangers invited to my campsite without me knowing and approving ahead of time. We usually camp with other Scouting families or groups, so it isn't such an issue for us, but it can be an issue in other situations.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien