News:

• February 19, 2018, 12:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Party Food Question  (Read 1099 times)

blarg314

Re: Party Food Question
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 06:20:32 PM »

As a lover of fine cheese, I second the cheez-whiz suggestion. Or a finely grated regular cheese. Or maybe a cheese butter - cream parmesan or blue cheese with butter (while cold), which will melt faster than pure cheese.

In my experience, cheese sauces rarely reheat well, and always solidify when they cool down, unless you're working with something like cheez-whiz, which is loaded with emulsifiers and stabilizing agents beyond the realm of the home cook.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »
Unless it is a cheese fondue pot, it will likely be too hot and will scorch on the bottom.  I just remembered a bad experience...  A mini crock pot or a chocolate fondue pot would be better.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 09:55:51 PM »
Unless it is a cheese fondue pot, it will likely be too hot and will scorch on the bottom.  I just remembered a bad experience...  A mini crock pot or a chocolate fondue pot would be better.

I can adjust the temperature on my electric fondue pot, and it came with recipes for both cheese *and* chocolate ;)  I guess you can't adjust the temps on the ones you're talking about?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 08:16:28 AM »
If it is electric, you're fine, I'm sure.  The ones I've used have the fuel you light, like you would have under chafing dishes.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »

I can adjust the temperature on my electric fondue pot, and it came with recipes for both cheese *and* chocolate ;)  I guess you can't adjust the temps on the ones you're talking about?

The one the roommate owns is electric so this is a possibility.

Frog24

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
If you do want to microwave cheese sauce, you can... just do it at a lower power level.  When I'm re-heating mac & cheese, I always put it at power level 7 (so 70% power) for a minute.  That warms the sauce and actually makes it gooey again.  If the noodles aren't hot enough, then I zap it for 30 seconds on high.   

If you're making the sauce from scratch, try heating the milk with a bay leaf and a quarter of an onion before adding it to the roux.  It gives a supporting body to the cheese and makes it really tasty.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
I do the onion when I'm making the sauce for cheesey scalloped potatoes!  Very finely diced and just leave them in there.  Might have to try the bay leaf!
Ontario