Author Topic: Catering ( or not ) to special dietary needs ( Lake House Sally ) update#44  (Read 5021 times)

Mergatroyd

Re: Catering ( or not ) to special dietary needs ( Lake House Sally ) update#44
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
Car crash.

POF

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
Car crash.

it was fun - and we all enjoyed getting together - but you tend to feel like you are held captive at her house.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »
She knew nobody would want two whole parties in a row, and she still did it.  ::) I guess she got exactly what was coming!

I predict weeks if not months of whining to come.  8)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:29 PM »
Please post your cheese ball recipes!

Also, planning back to back parties just seems like a bad idea.

POF

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
She knew nobody would want two whole parties in a row, and she still did it.  ::) I guess she got exactly what was coming!

I don't think anyone is planning to go to things at her house anymore.  I am not going to Thanksgiving.  it's the same blasted, DH and DS17 both work retail and will need to go in at midnight.  They need to sleep some before they go. 

We tell her - we have to be home by 3:30, so we can either stop by or just not come. She'll insist we come and then complain when we leave. I am all done. and if she asks why - I am going to tell her.

At the wedding - she rented a condo - so she can have people back to her condo after the rehearsal dinner and after the wedding.  The groom her son - was like look Mom - some of us want to go spend time with our friends and not always be at your condo sitting around.

She looked at my husband and said - well all the family is coming back to my condo after the reception.  Dh said .... nope, not us. We have plans to g odo things the next day and plan to go to bed early.

She's jealous of me in a bit - since my house is where people like to be.... usually because if we are having dinner at 5:30, I ask people to come at 5:00, eat at 5:30.  We eat, I clear, make coffee and set out dessert. If peope want to hang out fine - if they want to leave fine. Usually they stay, but since I honestly don't care - no one is itching to leave.

Anyway thanks for letting me whine away !

POF

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 07:27:54 AM »
Please post your cheese ball recipes!

Also, planning back to back parties just seems like a bad idea.

They are so simple its embarrassing  - nothing gourmet - but people love them ! For Xmas - I make folks their favorite flavor as a gift. I add it to the recipe folder a bit later !

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »

I don't think anyone is planning to go to things at her house anymore.  I am not going to Thanksgiving.  it's the same blasted, DH and DS17 both work retail and will need to go in at midnight.  They need to sleep some before they go. 

We tell her - we have to be home by 3:30, so we can either stop by or just not come. She'll insist we come and then complain when we leave. I am all done. and if she asks why - I am going to tell her.

At the wedding - she rented a condo - so she can have people back to her condo after the rehearsal dinner and after the wedding.  The groom her son - was like look Mom - some of us want to go spend time with our friends and not always be at your condo sitting around.

She looked at my husband and said - well all the family is coming back to my condo after the reception.  Dh said .... nope, not us. We have plans to g odo things the next day and plan to go to bed early.

She's jealous of me in a bit - since my house is where people like to be.... usually because if we are having dinner at 5:30, I ask people to come at 5:00, eat at 5:30.  We eat, I clear, make coffee and set out dessert. If peope want to hang out fine - if they want to leave fine. Usually they stay, but since I honestly don't care - no one is itching to leave.

Anyway thanks for letting me whine away !

You are not whining. You're asking the collective wisdom of the EHell board members for support and advice, which just happens to require giving us all the fascinating details. >:D Lake House Sally is the whiny one. ;D

Trying to dictate what your guests do almost never works, especially if what you want them to do is hang around somewhere that is not fun, with nothing to attract them but your - ahem - scintillating personality, old cheese that 'needs to be eaten' (who does that?!), and far more cake than anyone wants to have in one day. Cake? Yum. Multiple cakes? No longer a good thing now that I'm over 20 and can't process sugar faster than a hive of bees. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Amara

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
Forgive my curiosity, POF, and I don't know if you have answered this before, but do LHS's children take after her? Is her type of "hosting" likely to become multi-generational?

POF

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
Forgive my curiosity, POF, and I don't know if you have answered this before, but do LHS's children take after her? Is her type of "hosting" likely to become multi-generational?

Daughter is pretty horrified at her mother and actually does a good job hosting.  She is open to listening to other people - although she can be a bit self centered ( i.e really wanted the steak tips so there would be leftovers for her family. ) But she and I were aligned on the people being held hostage thing.  LHS - seriously doesn;t want to hear it. She is so frustrating.  The other children are still college age and while live away from home - not really hosting things yet.

weeblewobble

This sounds a hostage situation, not a party.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
I am confused I think.  Why didn't you leave at 4 as planned?

POF

A few reasons,

MIL turned 93 and she was very excited the entire family was present.  if we left at four - we would have missed her opening gifts and the $$$ cupcakes that we brought. I couldn't see hurting her feelings.  But yeah we were all held emotional hostage.  The problem is that then events get dumped to my house if we don't go to LHS.  The other SIL rarely hosts things. ( She has her hands full with elderly and ill parents though )

So -  I sucked it up - but only because of MIL.  MIL was actually pretty appalled that we didn't " just get on with things". 

However, I already told DH - that I was boycotting things at her house for a while.

She is planning to have everyone over after the wedding to her condo at the ski resort.... I already told her no. She said  - well I EXPECT the entire family to come. I said be prepared for disappointment !

I also told DH we are not going to T - Day. In all fairness - what she wants is a laidback, no schedule, lets all sit around all day holiday. That's great if thats what she wants.  We can't do that with 2 family members working retail and other people to see.  The conflict is that she doesn't want to take no for an answer, and then gets upset if you have to leave at a certain time.

I really like to see my nephews and neices though - so it makes it hard.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I see you have drawn and maintained your boundaries. I am doing the same with my holidays and free time.