News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 28, 2015, 07:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too much booze for work?  (Read 536 times)

BigBadBetty

Too much booze for work?
« on: Yesterday at 03:49:21 PM »
We occasionally have potlucks at work. I sometimes see a recipe for a dessert that contains a small amount (like a couple of  tablespoons for a whole cake) of alcohol. Some of the alcohol will be cooked off. However, I know not all the alcohol will be gone. I don't think twice about using vanilla extra which is alcohol. Is it still OK to bring?

The cake that brought me to this question here: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017257-coconut-layer-cake

FYI - I live in area of the U.S. which likes its booze, but you can't drink on work property while working. (Although other companies allow drinking during the workday.)

Onyx_TKD

Re: Too much booze for work?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:07:48 PM »
FYI - I live in area of the U.S. which likes its booze, but you can't drink on work property while working. (Although other companies allow drinking during the workday.)

It sounds like your specific company has an alcohol policy, so I think your boss(es) and/or whoever set/enforce that policy are the only ones who can give you a good answer. I'd suggest approaching your boss and saying you came across a really tasty-looking recipe, but it contains a small amount of [alcoholic beverage]--does (s)he think this would be ok for the potluck or should you choose an alcohol-free recipe? (If it were me, I'd figure out how much alcohol goes in per serving as an illustration of how small the amount is.) If you're not comfortable approaching your boss with that question, then I think you have your answer--go alcohol-free.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:08:35 PM »
I might let people know, but I wouldn't be worrying about it. That's for flavor, not for intoxication. Even if someone ate the whole thing they'd still be sober.

I would let people know because some people will not consume it if they know it has alcohol (for medical or other reasons), but that's no different than letting people know about any other ingredient.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

AvidReader

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:17:33 PM »
2 Tablespoons of rum in a cake batter.  The cake will probably serve 10-12 or more people.  JMHO, but I don't see a problem with it.    It would be an entirely different proposition if for example, you had a fruitcake that had been swimming in bourbon (post-baking) for a couple of months.  I would have a problem with that. 

Could you substitute a rum extract?  ....sold near the vanilla extract.

FWIW, I worked in public libraries for decades and we just.didn't.imbibe, rather an unwritten rule.  Not only for the risk of offending library patrons, but quite often at our potlucks, we had young workers under the age of 21.   

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:32:12 PM »
It wouldn't even occur to me to,question this, I,frequently take my pecan pie that had more bourbon than that cake and a co-workers rum balls are an office favorite and there is no cooking off the alcohol in those. Just let people know that the cocunut cake us flavored with rum. I could see it as a cultural issue, but not a company work issue.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:06:45 PM »
We occasionally have potlucks at work. I sometimes see a recipe for a dessert that contains a small amount (like a couple of  tablespoons for a whole cake) of alcohol. Some of the alcohol will be cooked off. However, I know not all the alcohol will be gone. I don't think twice about using vanilla extra which is alcohol. Is it still OK to bring?

The cake that brought me to this question here: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017257-coconut-layer-cake

I don't think it is a good idea. People might be taking medication, might observe religious practices, might have medical issues, might have personal issues... all stuff that they might prefer not to disclose at work.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:10:18 PM »
It wouldn't even occur to me to,question this, I,frequently take my pecan pie that had more bourbon than that cake and a co-workers rum balls are an office favorite and there is no cooking off the alcohol in those. Just let people know that the cocunut cake us flavored with rum. I could see it as a cultural issue, but not a company work issue.

I would have never questioned it before. Then, I was reading an article on how you should always disclose if you used alcohol as a previous poster mentioned. I would feel strange saying there is rum in my cake at work. I think people have brought rum balls and other desserts with booze years ago, but I can't remember for sure. I really like to overthink things. I could always probably just use rum extract or even skip it. Or just eat the whole cake myself at home.

sweetonsno

« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:08:17 AM »
I'm sure it's fine, but ask your boss if you're not sure. I also agree that you should label the ingredients, but that's wise in general.

Vall

« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:46:24 AM »
I would clear it with your boss first just to be safe.  Last Christmas a coworker brought in some rum balls.  This Christmas he was told he could bring them in but not give them out until the end of the shift and tell people to eat them at home.