Author Topic: Tips for surprise party?  (Read 1166 times)

gellchom

Re: Tips for surprise party?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
This dip is always very popular with our guests. 

Corn & Pecan Dip

2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened
¼ cup lime juice
1 T ground cumin
1 T ground red chiles (I used 2 t cayenne and it was plenty hot)
½ t salt
dash black pepper
¼ c vegetable oil
1 16-oz. can whole-kernel corn, drained (or use equivalent frozen)
1 c chopped pecans
1 small onion, diced (I like more)

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except corn, pecans, and onion.  Beat until smooth with electric mixer on medium speed.

Stir in corn, pecans, and onion. 

Serve with tortilla chips (Trader Joe has great ones).

Blondie

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 09:49:25 AM »
I actually wouldn't worry about the extra chairs/tables. My parents do a huge party every spring, ranging from 50-100 people and have been doing so for over 40 years. The menu is always the same- Lasagna and bread (salad, dessert, apps etc change, but always the lasagna)The lasagna is great actually, because they make 4 enormous trays of it (professional film developer sized) but can heat 1 or 2 at a time, which keeps people from mobbing the food, but also controls the amount well. People have never had an issue eating it off of plastic plates with plastic cutlery and will sit pretty much anywhere, or just stand and keep talking while they eat. There are seats for those who want, and the flow works fine, and it is entirely inside their not so large house.

If you are worried about flow, they do set up the keg/bar in a separate room from the food, and neither is in the kitchen. It seems to keep people moving to different parts of the house, and keep the crowd manageable.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

lowspark

« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:06:57 AM »
I've made gellchom's corn & pecan dip before and it was a hit!
Here is my Artichoke Dip recipe. It's über cheesy and über good.

Artichoke Dip

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
1-1/2 cups of Monterrey Jack
1/2 cup Parmesan
1/2 cup Cheddar
2 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped
1/2 medium tomato, chopped, drained
2 tablespoons sliced green onions

Heat oven to 375°F.

Mix 3 cheeses together.
Beat mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, garlic salt and hot pepper sauce in large mixer bowl on medium speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth (1 to 2 minutes). Stir in 3/4 of the cheese mixture and artichoke hearts by hand.

Spread artichoke mixture into ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Sprinkle with tomato, onions and remaining cheese. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #18 on: Today at 09:53:03 AM »
For the kid entertainment, how old are they?  If they're little kids, could you maybe buy a few coloring books and a box of crayons and set them out on a coffee table or a blanket or something?