Author Topic: The Basics of Good Hosting -- Parties  (Read 28982 times)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: The Basics of Good Hosting -- Parties
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
Computers should be turned off and the use of cell phones and electronic devices should be minimized.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »
I think it is okay if you use your computer to play the party music. But people shouldn't be, say, posting on Ehell during the party. ;D
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:19 PM »
I think it is okay if you use your computer to play the party music. But people shouldn't be, say, posting on Ehell during the party. ;D

I think that if the computer has party music or other entertainment, it can be part of the agenda.  But otherwise, if it's people using it individually or a subset of the people there are using it, then no.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »

I think that if the computer has party music or other entertainment, it can be part of the agenda.  But otherwise, if it's people using it individually or a subset of the people there are using it, then no.
Oh yes, definitely. You just queue up the playlist and then turn off the monitor. Maybe attend to it once or twice if the music needs to change.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Pinky830

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »
19. If guest need to throw things away or separate recycling (cans, bottles, etc.) into a different receptacle, please make sure the trash/recycling areas are obvious and please make sure they have room. I personally hate carrying around a disposable napkin or plate looking for the garbage can, only to find it overflowing with items.

Normally I only have one trash can, under the sink. I have a second trash can with a swinging lid that I only use for parties. I put it in the corner of the kitchen. I learned quickly that otherwise, the traffic all clogs up aroun the sink with people throwing stuff away, plus that can fills up in a hurry.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »

Oh yes, definitely. You just queue up the playlist and then turn off the monitor. Maybe attend to it once or twice if the music needs to change.

This is what I do.  I put together a fun playlist on my laptop (usually about 5 hours of music), put it on random and repeat and then set it up in an aout of the way corner.  Never had a problem with people hopping on it to surf the net or do other things. 
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Reika

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
20  Before the guests arrive, take your coats off the hooks and put them away on a bed somewhere so that the hooks are all free for guests' coats, and they don't have to rummage around on a spare bed looking for their coat at the end of the party.

That's a good one.  I would even vote for vertical coat racks.

As an alternative, the removable hooks that 3M makes that sticks to the wall is terrific for extra coats. They also come in all sorts of styles and colors, so you can put up the decorative hooks that appropriate for the feel of the party, then take them down. They're also reusable, just need to get fresh sticky strips.

Thyisa

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 01:27:08 AM »
For 3) - For a party, I find that the best thing to do is prepare a variety of foods. Have some stuff that is vegan (which also handles vegetarian, lactose problems or kosher/halal restrictions), some that has no nuts, some that's wheat free, some that's soy free. Label the 'safe' items. That way everyone can find something to eat without you having to obsess over the details.

I live in an area with a lot of vegans and vegetarians and my family has issues with allergies. Seeing all of the delicious looking and smelling food and not being able to eat during a dinner party is not fun.

As for computer use, I do urge setting it up so the speakers are a part of your party, but not the computer if at all feasible. If people are tempted to browse the computer it might help if it is out of sight or in a non-public area of the house.

And my family are landlords, so while extra coat racks are great (especially in winter), do try any adhesive products out in a less obvious area and try to clean them up as soon as possible. The next tenants and the deposit will thank you.