Author Topic: How do I make my housemates tidy up?  (Read 3991 times)

blue_bunny_paz

How do I make my housemates tidy up?
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
My housemates are beyond slobs. Currently, one has left chicken bones all over the floor, trashed the bathroom adn he smells so bad you can tell which route he took out of the house five hours later. The other leaves mess everywhere. Literally I popped upstairs while the iron heated up and there was stuff all over the ironing board when I came back.

They won't tidy up and if I tidy up they trash it again. I tidied the bathroom this morning and already it has toilet rolls ont eh floor, beard shavigns all over the sink, a filthy bath, a wet towel on the floor and a un-flushed toilet.

I have friends round next week and I need the place tidy. What can I do?

Before I called in a cleaner and charged it to them but they didn't pay and just messed up the house again within a day.

Any ideas?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: How do I make my housemates tidy up?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:04:04 AM »
and you are living with them...because???

you can't MAKE grown ups do anything that they don't want to do. can you move out? or move them out?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sibby

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »
Shovel it all into his room, daily.  Yes it's still work on your part but at least he will be hteone to deal with it, not the whole home.
In the meantime, find a new roommate or a new home.

Mazdoy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »
Shovel it all into his room, daily.  Yes it's still work on your part but at least he will be hteone to deal with it, not the whole home.
In the meantime, find a new roommate or a new home.

This works!!

One of my housemates at university never washed pots and pans after he used them so in the end the rest of us used to dump them on his bed.  He soon got the message.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »
Sounds dreadful.

If moving out is not an option. I vote for buying a few largish tupperwares and one or twice a week (give the housemates warning) throw everything into the tupperwares and leave them in their rooms (or dump them in their rooms so you get the tupperware back).

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 01:42:35 PM »
My housemates are beyond slobs. Currently, one has left chicken bones all over the floor, trashed the bathroom adn he smells so bad you can tell which route he took out of the house five hours later. The other leaves mess everywhere. Literally I popped upstairs while the iron heated up and there was stuff all over the ironing board when I came back.

They won't tidy up and if I tidy up they trash it again. I tidied the bathroom this morning and already it has toilet rolls ont eh floor, beard shavigns all over the sink, a filthy bath, a wet towel on the floor and a un-flushed toilet.

I have friends round next week and I need the place tidy. What can I do?

Before I called in a cleaner and charged it to them but they didn't pay and just messed up the house again within a day.

Any ideas?

New roommates.

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »
Move in the dead of night. Leave no forwarding address.
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 05:22:17 AM »

You can't.  You can move, or you can put up with it.

Can you get out of the rental agreement or lease?  Whose name is it in?  If it's some sort of student accomodation situation then mentioning the chicken bones and related stuff to the landlord might help, as they may not be thrilled about the apartment acquiring ants, cockroaches and mice.

Coming to a mutually satisfying system involves all parties being willing to compromise and work towards it. If they are total slobs, won't clean, won't pay to have someone else clean and trash the place as soon as someone else cleans then it's a lost cause.

blue_bunny_paz

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Thanks for advice.
I've made the landlord aware that it's their mess. I think I'll move the venue to a friend's house as I'm embarassed for friends to see my house.

I like the idea about transferring the mess to their rooms.  >:D

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 02:43:28 PM »
Don't clean up after them anymore.  You're enabling them to make messes with no consequences.  Keep your own area neat, and do your share of the chores, but do not pick up their slack.

I agree that notifying the landlord about what's happening is a good idea.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

ninja710

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 05:30:46 PM »
Move in the dead of night. Leave no forwarding address.

This one's got my vote.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 10:10:45 PM »
Invest in a show shovel so you can just pitch stuff onto their beds without having to touch it. 

Or, move in the middle of the night and don't leave a forwarding address.   :P

edenparadox

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 01:36:30 AM »
I suggest shock collars.  >:D

Other than that, shovel their mess on their beds. (Evil Eden says: do it while they are in their beds and asleep.) Or move.

Siduri

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 02:22:08 AM »
I just got out of a similar situation.  Not only were they selfish slobs, they were hyper-sensitive about it.  When you brought up the fact that dirty dishes (including my cookware) had been left in the sink to fester for days (keep in mind WE HAD A DISHWASHER), the roommates would be furious and offended.  "I don't appreciate it," one would say.  "I'm an adult!  I can do my dishes!"  Really?  Prove it!

I moved.  I'm living in a place a little pricier but 100x better.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 04:25:21 PM »
This is an area that I am all too familiar with. I had a male roomate who would not only leave his dishes in the sink (which was located directly next to the dishwasher), he would leave his body hairs on MY soap, leave take out containers with food still in it all over the apartment, and leave half full beer bottles and dirtyy cups all over the place too.  Here is what I did... (knuckle crack)

ALL of the above and then some. >:D  Not only did I put HIS MESS in HIS ROOM on HIS BED (even if he was laying on it), I also made a point to announce his mess to anyone who visited... LOUDLY. I would apologize for my house being such a mess but I simply did not have the time or patience to clean up after a grown man. I would also take his dirty underwear, which he carelessty left on the living room floor (I still cringe), :-[ and hang it outside on the fire escape for all to see. >:D  If he had the nerve to complain about 'the mess' (which he did... a lot >:( )  I handed him the nearest cleaning utensil and said.. "So Clean IT!" He would often say,"I am an adult. Don't treat me like a child and stop disrespecting my stuff!,"  I came back with, "Okay, so act like it! Last time I checked, adults do not leave THEIR mess all over for the next person to clean. I AM NOT YOUR MOMMY!!! You must not like these things very much anyway if you carelessly leave them around. If you do not like the way I am treating your stuff than do not leave it laying around the common areas. I fit is in a common area, than it is fair game!" This would infuriate him, but after a couple of months of me 'disrespecting his stuff' he got the point. He was still a slob... but it was limited to his room and only parts of the kitchen instead of the whole apartment.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:11:08 PM by Sabbyfrog2 »