Author Topic: How do I make my housemates tidy up?  (Read 3955 times)

Siduri

Re: How do I make my housemates tidy up?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 12:25:33 AM »
He would often say,"I am an adult. Don't treat me like a child and stop disrespecting my stuff!,"

Argh!  I got lectured about "disrespect" too.  From a guy who would pull me out of bed to yell at me, have dinner parties at 3am, slice raw beef on my wooden cutting board and who thought that it was really funny when he saw me walking across the parking lot to step on the gas and charge at me but stop just in time.  Hilarious.

I think he confused "respect" with "total submission".  No thanks.

TarHeel

• Non, je ne regrette rien
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 02:48:44 AM »
Hit them with Nerf bats.  Often.  Move up to softball bats if you need to.

Or, you could move, which is what I'd actually do.  Instead of incurring the assault and/or battery charges.
La vie en rose

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 04:29:23 AM »
"I am an adult. Don't treat me like a child....

Have y'll ever noticed that anyone that says this iis always acting like a child about the issue under discussion.   

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 09:30:07 AM »
"I am an adult. Don't treat me like a child....

Have y'll ever noticed that anyone that says this iis always acting like a child about the issue under discussion.   

Yup...That is why I have no problem with throwing it back in their face. I was called a *itch on more than one occasion. If not wanting to live in a pig sty makes me a *itch, than so be it.  >:D

Argh!  I got lectured about "disrespect" too.  From a guy who would pull me out of bed to yell at me, have dinner parties at 3am, slice raw beef on my wooden cutting board and who thought that it was really funny when he saw me walking across the parking lot to step on the gas and charge at me but stop just in time.  Hilarious.

I think he confused "respect" with "total submission".  No thanks.

I hope you got rid of him.. He sounds liek a big jerky JERK!

Siduri

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
I hope you got rid of him.. He sounds liek a big jerky JERK!

I moved.  It would have been nice to kick him out but it was two against one there (he had his girlfriend living with him).  At any rate, those two will have trouble paying rent without my contribution (they both make about ten grand more per year than I do but they are absolutely moronic about living within one's means) and besides their relationship was getting pretty ugly.  The best punishment I can think of is to leave those two horrible people with each other and refuse to let them give me any more trouble.

My current apartment is quite nice.  It's in a nice town within walking distance to loads of shops and clubs.  The new roommate is quiet.

EDIT:

You know, I think I'll start a Roommates of Doom spinoff thread elsewhere.  We've all had one, it sound like.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:45:09 AM by Siduri »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »
I would LOVE to know how to make my housemate tidy up....

... except that I live alone, which means all this mess is MY fault.  :(
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 08:26:30 PM »
I would LOVE to know how to make my housemate tidy up....

... except that I live alone, which means all this mess is MY fault.  :(

And not even a "little  brother" to blame it on <giggler>

(me too)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Siduri

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 12:19:24 AM »
Goblins.  You can always blame goblins.

Telmereth

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 06:45:33 PM »
Ugh, I feel your pain. Though your housemates make mine suddenly seem like the nicest co-habitors in the world! I've noticed that Male Housemate #1 doesn't clean up due to a kind of childish 'helplessness' about his abilities. To get him to do his share I literally have to talk him through it step by step. "okay, get the water nice and hot. Okay, put in some washing-up liquid, okay, good, now get a sponge..." I'm serious. Occasionally I catch him trying to wash up without getting his hands wet - using a long handled brush and grabbing plates from the surface of the water like they're gonna bite! This is when I wave a pair of rubber gloves under his nose and he looks at them like he's never seen them before.

Male Housemate #2 is a total slob. He doesn't flush the toilet, ever, and quite often will actually miss the toilet in the first place. I never go in the bathroom with bare feet any more. *shudder*
That said, I'm not 100% sure he still lives here, since I haven't seen him in more than a fortnight....

As for Fiona, well, she likes making piles. When she cooks, she leaves her dirty dishes by the sink. But it's okay because "they're in a nice neat pile". That philosophy extends to just about everything. When she left damp washing in the machine for most of a day (while she was sitting in her bedroom) I took it out and piled it neatly on her bed. She looked up at me, amazed and I said "oh it's okay, I put it in a nice neat pile..."  >:D

As for advice for you...well, unless you have some way to persuade your landlord to read them the riot act and/or actually kick them out, I suggest moving far far away. If that's not feasible (and I'm guessing not since you would have done it already) then this is the only time I would advocate a PA approach. Put their stuff in their rooms, on their beds. Remove ANYTHING AT ALL from the shared areas that is yours and they use. (This worked for a friend of mine when her housemate decided he would quite like a kettle and a microwave after all.) Don't clean or tidy their things. Just shovel it right out of your way and get on with what you're doing.
Good luck!