Author Topic: Request for hor d'oeuvre recipes  (Read 2361 times)

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
Request for hor d'oeuvre recipes
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:11:21 AM »
Looking for heavy hor d'oeuvre recipes!  Throw your favorites at me, please.  It will be the only food served, to about 30-35 people, ranging in age from toddlers to mature adults.  :)

Thanks!
Cristen

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
Re: Request for hor d'oeuvre recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »
Are you looking to do some specifically for kids and some specifically for adults, ore are you looking to things that will appeal to everyone?

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »
Are you looking to do some specifically for kids and some specifically for adults, ore are you looking to things that will appeal to everyone?

Either or is fine with me, I plan to try to have a large variety.  It would probably be nice to have a couple of kiddie dishes (like pig in the blankets, which I'll have, since it is always a hit with the kids and adults alike.)  But I would also like some more interesting dishes for the older crowd.

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:59:42 AM »
Here's an easy one for kids...and adults.

A loaf of French bread sliced in inch thick slices and then add shredded mozzerella and pepperoni on top and put under the broiler until the cheese is melted....Mini-Pizzas without the mess of sauce.

I swear I get more compliments and a ton of "why didn't I think of doing that" comments from guests.

I know it's not fancy...but they are quick and easy.
But it's never too late to correct the faults so many others made ~Midtown

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 12:09:24 PM »
Here's an easy one for kids...and adults.

A loaf of French bread sliced in inch thick slices and then add shredded mozzerella and pepperoni on top and put under the broiler until the cheese is melted....Mini-Pizzas without the mess of sauce.

I swear I get more compliments and a ton of "why didn't I think of doing that" comments from guests.

I know it's not fancy...but they are quick and easy.

Does sound nice and tasty and "clean"!  I'm sure the kids will love it, thanks!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »
well, this may just be *me*, but i kind of like to choose one type of food and stick to it. by type i mean - i like to choose let's say chinese or even 'far eastern', or mediterranean, or tex-mex, and stick with it. i find it easier and also i think it tastes better (i am AR in that way, i don't like to mix up the flavors ;D)

the second thing i like to do is choose a number of "main" dishes, and a number of sides- the sides divided between starchy and veggies. I also mix cold and hot dishes. Desserts and drinks i put separately.

ok - so this is what i would do:
for mediterranean style, for example I would choose a few of these main dishes:
*tiny meatballs in lemon sauce (for each batch of sauce you mix 2 cups of chicken stock, juice of one big lemon, one clove of garlic, and you can add some chopped celery, salt and pepper). this actually works well with chicken as well as meat
* tiny kebabs - mini hamburgers formed into little fingers and grilled
* skewers with chunks of chicken or turkey, alternate with vegetables, marinated in italian marinade.
* artichoke bottoms stuffed with meat or rice
* mushrooms stuffed with bread crumbs mixed with cheese.
* lahma-jun (not sure how to spell that, but it's mini pizzas with a meat/tomato topping - no cheese)
*vegetables in filo dough

sides:
green beans
brocolli
rice
coucous
tiny new potatoes, roasted, with olive oil and herbs.
tahini sauce and/or yogurt sauce for the kebabs.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

evil_xylo

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
I like to make mini veggie "pizzas".

Take the cresent rolls in a can, unroll them, cut into bite sized triangles, spread a little bit of ranch veggie dip on top then put shredded carrots, and lettice, and pretty much any other veggies you like and a little moz cheese. 

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »

Take the cresent rolls in a can, unroll them, cut into bite sized triangles, spread a little bit of ranch veggie dip on top then put shredded carrots, and lettice, and pretty much any other veggies you like and a little moz cheese. 

Ooh, that sounds different, thanks!!   :D

evil_xylo

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »

Ooh, that sounds different, thanks!!   :D

NP.   Everyone I know really likes em.  They make a great bring in dish for pot lucks

Summrs

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 06:22:57 AM »
Couple of ideas for you:

SAUSAGE-STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Makes 32

32 large mushrooms      
2 cloves garlic, minced      
1 tb butter            
8 ounces bulk pork sausage    
1/2 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste

Remove stems from mushrooms. Finely chop stems and sauté in butter in large heavy skillet with garlic until mushrooms are wilted, about 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until brown. Add remaining ingredients, stir to mix well; taste to adjust seasoning. Stuff each mushroom cap with about 1 heaping tb sausage mixture.  Place mushrooms in shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
====================

STILTON, BACON AND SCALLION PUFFS
About 30 Puffs

1/2 cup water         
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into bits   
1/2 cup all-purpose flour         
2 large eggs
1/4 pound Stilton, crumbled
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 tb minced scallion

In a small heavy saucepan combine the water, the butter, and a pinch of salt and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate, add the flour all at once, and with a wooden spoon beat the mixture until it pulls away from the sides of the pan and forms a ball. Remove the pan from the heat; add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and stir in the Stilton, the bacon, the scallion, and salt and pepper to taste.

Drop rounded teaspoons of the batter 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake the puffs in the middle of a preheated 425° oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden.  You can substitute Gorgonzola or regular Bleu cheese, or try them with sharp Cheddar.
=======================

BEER BATTERED ASPARAGUS WITH LEMON DIPPING SAUCE
About 4 Servings

1/2 cup mayonnaise               
1 tb fresh lemon juice               
1 tb plus 1/2 ts finely grated fresh lemon zest   
1/2 ts black pepper, divided             
1 cup all-purpose flour                   
1 ts salt 
1 cup lager
4 cups vegetable oil
1 lb medium asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces

Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, 1/2 ts zest, and 1/4 ts pepper in a small bowl. Chill, covered, until ready to use.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F.  Heat 3 inches oil in a 3 to 4 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until it registers 375° on thermometer. Whisk together flour, salt, zest, and pepper in a bowl until combined, then add beer, whisking until smooth.

Submerge asparagus spears in batter to coat. Working in batches of 10, drag 1 at a time gently against rim to remove excess batter, then transfer to oil and fry, stirring gently to keep asparagus from sticking together, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer as fried with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Return oil to 375° between batches. Serve with lemon dipping sauce.  Asparagus can be kept warm in oven up to 30 minutes. Can multiply recipe as needed.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 09:25:55 AM »
Oh gosh, those sound yummy!!  I'll definitely do the sausage stuffed mushrooms, I love those!  I want to try the others, too, but I might save them for later parties.

Thanks!
Cristen

Summrs

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 10:00:23 AM »
You're very welcome.  Enjoy :)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 01:54:15 PM »
summrs - all of those sound divine!!

Here's my h'd recipe:

Cheesy Muffin Appetizer  This is something my mom made alot and it's a huge hit whenever I make it.  You can even make the cheese spread ahead of time and freeze it.

BittyB

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »
One thing that always does well at our parties is the little weinies/sausages and sauce.  My friend makes her sauce up with bbq and grape jelly (no lie!  I couldn't even taste it but she swears it's in there and it's crazy-good) and basically whatever else she throws in to taste (she's a "mix and taste it" person).

One super easy thing I did was make a queso for chips.  DF was being a complete snob because I used Velveeta (for it's meltiness) but the bowl was empty within the first hour.  I just did Velveeta and a package of taco seasoning - spiced it up and it was the easiest thing in the world (served with chips and pretzels).  I may have added some milk to make it a little extra creamy. 

So not stunning things but they're easy and seem to be crowd pleasers (may not work at a "fancier" party though...)

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 02:41:45 PM »
BF's sister's spinach artichoke heart dip goes fast. I wish I'd asked for the recipe!  It was divine!