Author Topic: Request for hor d'oeuvre recipes  (Read 2187 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Request for hor d'oeuvre recipes
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 07:50:18 AM »
One thing that always does well at our parties is the little weinies/sausages and sauce.  My friend makes her sauce up with bbq and grape jelly (no lie!  I couldn't even taste it but she swears it's in there and it's crazy-good) and basically whatever else she throws in to taste (she's a "mix and taste it" person).

There's a similar recipe for meatballs in a crockpot -- 32oz grape jelly, 2-12oz chili sauce.  It sounds totally nasty, but they taste good!

One super easy thing I did was make a queso for chips.  DF was being a complete snob because I used Velveeta (for it's meltiness) but the bowl was empty within the first hour.  I just did Velveeta and a package of taco seasoning - spiced it up and it was the easiest thing in the world (served with chips and pretzels).  I may have added some milk to make it a little extra creamy. 

So not stunning things but they're easy and seem to be crowd pleasers (may not work at a "fancier" party though...)

Don't forget Velveeta plus RoTel!  :D

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »

My mother makes that Velveeta and Rotel recipe, but adds a pound of Jimmy Dean hot sausage to it.  YUM.  It gets raves at every party.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »

My mother makes that Velveeta and Rotel recipe, but adds a pound of Jimmy Dean hot sausage to it.  YUM.  It gets raves at every party.

Ohhh yum!!! I take it she cooks and drains the jimmy dean sausage first, then adds to the Velveeta and rotel?  For an added kick, the JD spicy sausage is awesome!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »

Ohhh yum!!! I take it she cooks and drains the jimmy dean sausage first, then adds to the Velveeta and rotel?  For an added kick, the JD spicy sausage is awesome!

My dad does this, but he uses taco seasoned hamburger.  VERY lean and drained.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 09:33:56 PM »

Oh yeah, she browns the sausage and then strains the heck out of it, then spreads it over paper towels to drain more.  Pretty funny that she is so concerned about getting every ounce of fat, then turns around and dumps it into Velveeta cheese!   :o

She's also pretty adamant that it is ROTEL brand.  Poor DH had to run all over town during her last visit to find that brand!  :)