Author Topic: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?  (Read 12547 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
Just for the record: my Christmas tree was small - three or four feet. Little guy, on a small stepstool. When it was bedtime, the tree was surrounded by window screens so the Duke boys couldn't get at it.

Saturday morning, the 9th, I went to get kolaches. I was gone for maybe 20 minutes. The screens were down. When I got home, so was the tree.

So it all came down Sunday the 10th. Tree, lights, garlands, wreaths, cards, everything.

I now know how much prettier that end of the living room is when it has lots of lights!
Words mean things.

gmatoy

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »
I refuse to start taking the decorations down until January 6th; However, how long the process takes depends on how I'm feeling. This week the last of the Christmas angels came down. Today, I'm starting the process of putting pictures, etc back up. (They have to come down to make room for the Christmas things.)

Mamaduck43

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
Our December and January months are filled with birthdays, as well as the Holidays...  When my kids were little, Santa did everything on Xmas Eve - - the tree, the decorations and the gifts..  Eventually, we began to help Santa and the tree would go up on my DD1's birthday (the 20th) and never came down before my birthday (Jan. 5)....  We lived in Hawaii for 25 years, where the trees are grown in Oregon for the Hawaii market...  They are cut before the snow in October and put into refrigerated containers and arrive in Hawaii Thanksgiving weekend...  They are sold out by December 1st, dried out by December 5th and thrown out Christmas afternoon...  When you pay upwards of $75 for a 6' tree, you put it up as soon as you get it so you can enjoy the green and the smell.... 
I still have my trees up - - the big one in the livingroom and 9 others (tabletop sized - different themes) throughout my 2 bedroom apartment...  I love the way they look and I am in no hurry to put them away....  Perhaps I will get to some of them this weekend....  My nutcrackers and some other winter type decorations will stay up for a while and my village is a permanent part of my hutch decor.... 

snowfire

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
I always hate to take down the decorations.  I just love how the house looks all decorated, and I'll frequently park on the couch by the tree with a cat or four and a book just to enjoy it.

I did take down the outdoor decorations on my house last week, and on my Mom's house yesterday.  I've been sick the last week and yesterday was decent weather.

I'll probably take down the tree this weekend.  I wasn't going to do it before that because we were getting carpeting in a basement room that we've just finished and all the stuff from that room was in the storage area where the tree normally lives.

Dogface

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
My parents usually take their decorations down sometime in the first week of the new year. They don't have a lot, just the tree, some knick-knacks, and a wreath outside. I myself don't usually decorate for holidays since I never think to until it's way too late. I did get a black "Satanic" Christmas tree  ;) when I was home over break, though.

Jocelyn

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »
My sister has told me that traditionally, one puts away one's Christmas decorations by January 6th- which is twelve days after Christmas. I was wondering if this is the general rule that people go by?
There are three traditional days I've heard of: New Year's Day, Epiphany (Twelveth Night; because the Church considers the season of Christmas to run until then) and Candlemas (Feb 2nd, which represents Christ's dedication in the temple).

Then there are the standards of 'when we have time' and 'when we get tired of them'. :)
Personally I aim for Epiphany, but I've hit Candlemas on some busy years.
:)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:32:56 PM by Jocelyn »

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 04:19:29 PM »
and Candlemas (Feb 2nd, which represents Christ's dedication in the temple).

This must be what a couple of my neighbors are going by!

think4yourself

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »
I enjoy putting up the tree and the decorations. However, I'm always happy to see them come down again too, because we get the living room space back and there is less clutter. I like an open environment.

I think you can take your Christmas decorations down whenever you feel like it. It's your house. If you want to leave them up all year, that's your business. ;D

We typically do shortly after Christmas. However, I am considering leaving the lights on the roof (unlit) year round, and just turning them on around the holidays. I don't like my husband up on the room every year - I'm afraid he'll slip. (And I'm too much of a wimp about heights to go up there.)

high dudgeon

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:44 PM »
Whenever you're tired of looking at them. It's not in any way an etiquette issue, just a personal preference. If you wanted to keep your house decorated for Christmas year round, it would be unusual, but not rude. I won't consider taking them down before January 6th, but other than that it depends on how busy I am, how cluttered the house feels and whether or not I'm bored with them yet.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
I think you can take your Christmas decorations down whenever you feel like it. It's your house. If you want to leave them up all year, that's your business. ;D

I love Christmas lights. Love loove LOOOOOVVVVE them. I'd keep them up all the time, if I could avoid hearing "Why are you decorating your place like a Mexican restaurant?"

Of course, my answer would be, "Um, queen of Spain ... conquered parts of Mexico ... cultural imperialism rears its ugly head, chico!"
Words mean things.

alegria

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
We took our outside lights down on Sunday, so everything but the door wreath (which is just winter-festive and not specifically Christmassy) is put away.

Of course, our dead tree is still in front of the house...my husband thinks the tree fairy will take it away.  *sigh*

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »
Don't feel bad, alegria.  Ours is still standing in the garage, fully decorated.  We've been waiting for the weather to warm up enough to tackle the job of un-decorating it (there are four strands of lights; what were we thinking?!), and that just hasn't happened yet.

Namárië

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
My tree is still standing in the living room, fully decorated, with a lone present under it.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »
Ours just went down this past weekend.  To be fair, we only had decorations up inside so no one else had to look at them.  If we'd put up outdoor decorations, they would have been down by Jan. 6th.  We kept ours up longer because we couldn't bear to take the Christmas tree away from the cat.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:27:31 AM by sparrow bones »
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

lollergirl

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »
when i realize the ornaments need to be dusted.  which isn't as bad as it sounds.  it only takes about 3 weeks for stuff to get dusty here.