Author Topic: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?  (Read 10969 times)

Miss March

When should the Christmas decorations be put away?
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »
My sister has told me that traditionally, one puts away one's Christmas decorations by January 6th- which is twelve days after Christmas. I was wondering if this is the general rule that people go by?
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

magicdomino

Re: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:31:26 AM »
I try for the first weekend after New Years.  However, outside lights may stay out (if unlit) for a few weeks if the weather is too cold, wet, or both.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »
I think it depends on tradition and how sick you are of looking at your Christmas decorations.  We've always kept ours up until January 6 for the Feast of the Epiphany (or what my late MIL called "Little Christmas; she even gave gifts).  We're taking ours down this weekend because it's the only time we have to do it.

audrey1962

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
My sister has told me that traditionally, one puts away one's Christmas decorations by January 6th- which is twelve days after Christmas. I was wondering if this is the general rule that people go by?

This is the rule I go by (due to religious reasons).

Fi

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »

Yep, up on Christmas Eve, down on Epiphany is the tradition I know best. I know most people don't follow that now, especially the Christmas Eve bit, but Epiphany is still a useful guide.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
we usually take ours down on New Year's Day.  this year was unusual in that we took down the tree on December 26.  we were having living room chairs delivered on the 29th, and needed it out of the way.

clairesmom77

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »
I take mine down the day after Christmas.  I can't stand to look at it any longer, and I want my house back to normal. 

A lot of people I know take theirs down on Jan. 6, though.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »
My tree is still up.  8)

Theoretically, I leave until January 6th, but it actually stays up until my first day off after the 6th. I know people who take theirs down the day after Christmas, but they tend to be the people who put them up the day after Thanksgiving (in the U.S.A.). Mine goes up in mid-December.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »
I take everything down as soon after New Year's Day that I can.

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:59:20 AM »
I would like to wait till Jan. 6 but that doesn't work for our regular schedules so our compromise was the first weekend after New Years except for our outdoor lights which depend on the weather.

Namárië

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
I like to wait until the 6th, but, like FoxPaws, it's more about when I have time after the 6th. I love Christmas decorations, so I keep them up as long as possible. (Mine went up Thanksgiving weekend this year...and it's still up)
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
Before Children, I would wait until Jan 6 (or the following weekend if it fell during the week and I just didn't have time.) b/c it's tradition in our family (Epiphany and all that.)  

Now that I have the wee ones, I usually take it down by New Years Day because I get tired of trying to keep them out of it.  I suppose I could leave everything else up but it's easier to just do it all at once.  When they get old enough to not want to play with the ornaments, I'll probably start leaving it up later again.  I generally don't put it up until mid December.  I put the lights on right away but don't put ornaments on until Christmas Eve.  I do that because it gives me less headaches but I might continue that tradition, even when they get older.  It was kind of fun to bake cookies for Santa and then go decorate the tree.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »
We just took everything down today. We don't have outside lights though, so it was just the tree and other indoor decorations. DF would have left it all up another week if I'd let him, but since we decorated in mid November, I was a bit tired of all the clutter after 8 weeks.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
Any time after Twelfth Night.

Mine are coming down this afternoon ... I'm gonna miss all my lights! I love having twinkly sparkly lights.

Maybe I can pretend my place is a Mexican restaurant, and leave them up!

ETA: when we were growing up, Mama Isabella always had the tree down on December 26. I was born on the 27th*, and she didn't want me feeling like my birthday was lost in the holidays.

*Interesting story as to why ... Mama Iz had a pre-delivery check-up in mid-December, and the doctor told her that she was ready to go any time. So she and my father had Christmas, got everything done, and went in to have me induced before the year ended ... for the tax write-off.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:12:05 PM by Juana la Loca »
Words mean things.

BuffaloFang

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:49 PM »
I usually take the ornaments on my tree down within a week of christmas.  The tree I leave up as long as my husband lets me because my cat adores climbing it so much I don't have the heart to take it away from her.