Author Topic: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?  (Read 13279 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »
Decorations start going up on the first Sunday in Advent and come down on Jan. 6th.

Decorations being put away is a whole 'nother story!  It usually takes me a while to get them packed back up in the totes and stored in the crawl space.

My outside lights are turned off on Jan. 6th but aren't taken down until the weather cooperates.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ACBNYC

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 12:15:25 PM »
I take it down on New Year's Day or shortly thereafter--this year it came down on the 3rd since we were hosting friends and family the two days prior. However, I have a candy cane decoration on my front door that I never took down last year, so I figure I'll just leave it there until we move in a few years.  ;D

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »
I take mine down either Epiphany or Knut... since they're all still up I guess it's Knut this year :)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »
Always down on Twelth Night, barring accidents or emergencies. Its a family superstition that it is unlucky  to leave them up longer.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Epiphany as well, with no real pressure. But much past the 15th, and you start to look really lame.

So I usually pack up the first weekend AFTER the 6th. Like one of the PPs, I don't put my decorations or tree up until late, so I'm in no hurry to get it down.

Of course, if the tree is disintegrating, it goes down sooner. This year's tree is STILL drinking really well (we bought it from a corner stand on Dec. 23, which is late, so I'm really surprised), so we kinda wish we could leave it up. But I think we'll be taking it down on Sunday or Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:36:50 PM by TootsNYC »

crashn2me

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
The Victorians said that the last of the holiday decorations should be down before February 1st.  Personally, I think that's a little late.  In our house the tradition is to leave, at least, the tree up until after Orthodox Christmas which falls on January 7th.  Right now I have everything down, except the tree.  That comes down Saturday.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
This year our tree was up the Monday before Thanksgiving and we took it down a day or two after Christmas.

We usually have our tree up by Dec. 1st and take it down either the day after Christmas.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

NsWife

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
My sister has told me that traditionally, one puts away one's Christmas decorations by January 6th- which is twelve days after Christmas. I was wondering if this is the general rule that people go by?

Yep, up on Christmas Eve, down on Epiphany is the tradition I know best. I know most people don't follow that now, especially the Christmas Eve bit, but Epiphany is still a useful guide.

That is the rule I follow.....all is over at "little Christmas" - Jan. 6

tarheel220

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
I took the tree down on New Year's Day.  The outdoor decorations came down yesterday.  MIL left them up until "Old Christmas" Jan. 6th.

mom22militarymen

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 01:31:33 PM »
I think it depends on what's happening. This year my husband's family is coming this Sunday to celebrate the holidays, so I left a little tree up in my living room, but that is the only specifically Christmas thing. Snowmen decor stays up until early spring.

hardia

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »
My decorations go up the first Sunday of Advent, and down January 6th, or the closest weekend after if January 6th falls midweek and we're busy.

Ontario, Canada

demarco

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »
I like to start taking mine down on New Year's Day. It usually takes me a couple of days.   This year, due to reasons beyond my control, the decorations are still half up.  The tree has half the ornaments on it and my collection of little Santas is lying in heaps around the dining room (looks like a Christmas massacre  ;D)  The outdoor lights are still up. The lights on either side of the driveway work off of different plugs.  Last night, I left one side on so the driveway would be visible through the snowstorm to  DH when he came home.  Otherwise, we aren't turning them on anymore.  

Edited to correct spelling error. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:44:56 PM by demarco »

Shea

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »
I take everything down as soon after New Year's Day that I can.

Me too. For some reason it depresses me to have Christmas stuff up longer than that.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
My sister has told me that traditionally, one puts away one's Christmas decorations by January 6th- which is twelve days after Christmas. I was wondering if this is the general rule that people go by?

They have to be down by the end of Twelth Night (5th of January) which is the night before Epiphany.

Jander

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
Mine go up as soon as I can get away with it and stay up for as long as possible. I'm just a big kid at heart! I've taken the tree down, but I will leave xmas lights up all year round as regular lighting. This year they are around the living room mirror. Sparkly!