Author Topic: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?  (Read 11004 times)

alegria

Re: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »
All my stuff is still up, but tonight is the last night it will be lit.  Tomorrow I'll undecorate the tree and pack all of the in-house decorations away, and unplug all of the outdoor lights.  I'll get the spouse to take down the stuff he put up in the yard tomorrow or Sunday, but the stuff I put up on the roof will wait until the weather improves before I take it down.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
I take down all the decorations and lights right after New Year’s. However, this year since the lights are neutral and not Christmasey in nature, I’m leaving them up outside until the end of this month.

MamaToreen

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
My parents have them down by the 6th as they have a real tree & it's a fire hazard. Mine come down the first weekend after the 6th just to get them done.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
This year the tree came down in the middle of Christmas day because we needed to leave abruptly and thought we might be gone all weekend.  We wanted the cats to be able to have the run of the house while we were gone.  The stockings didn't come down until this week, though.  All that said, we just hauled the tree out to the garage, ornaments and all.  We're waiting for the temperature to warm up (it was a balmy 18 degrees Farenheit here today and the garage is not insulated) before we venture out to the garage to take care of it all.

In the past, though, we've left them up until January or whenever we had the time to take them down.

Amava

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »
My tradition is after Epiphany (Three Kings Day, the 6th)
but I haven't gotten round to it yet.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 12:07:30 AM »
My parents always took the tree down on New Year's Day, but I think anytime in the first couple of weeks of January is pretty normal. 

My tree is still up, and I turn the lights on every evening.  I broke my living room lamp earlier this week, so I need to get light from somewhere...   :D  I'm thinking of starting a tradition of leaving them up until my birthday, though (Jan 16).  I love Christmas decorations, and it always seems so sad to have to put them away. 

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
Our tree is still up :)

I'd leave it up til March if I could, but it's a real tree, so it's just starting to droop and sag.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »
Our tree is still up :)

I'd leave it up til March if I could, but it's a real tree, so it's just starting to droop and sag.

We have a fake tree... I left it up until late March one year ;D

I always wanted to have my tree up as long as I wanted, so I finally did it as an adult... my mother always made up take it down on the 26th :-\
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Giantkillersmom

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
Ours come down tomorrow.  Usually I try to do it the first weekend in January but was just to tired last weekend. 

Strange little tradition at our house - it seems that every year we forget to put one thing away.  It started 20 years ago and still happens every year.  Sometimes it's a small Santa tucked somewhere that it gets over looked.  One year it was a rather large snowman sign.  Last year it was the lighted garland over the wall of windows in our family room.  The rule we made our first year together was that it if gets forgotten, it stays up until the next Christmas.  It's become quite a game for our friends to see if they can find the forgotten item each year, lol!

KCee

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
When I was 14, our tree was holding up so well that we left it up until Valentine's Day and re-decorated it with stuffed construction paper hearts we'd made.  :)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »
I try to put stuff away when the tree is totally dried out.

(looks sideways at tree)

Try is the operative word here.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Namárië

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
When I was 14, our tree was holding up so well that we left it up until Valentine's Day and re-decorated it with stuffed construction paper hearts we'd made.  :)

I have a fake tree, and I really don't want to take it down... Maybe I'll do this!  ;D What a great idea!
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »

I have a fake tree, and I really don't want to take it down... Maybe I'll do this!  ;D What a great idea!
There is someone at my work who does this for all the seasons - the tree stays up year round and just gets decorated for the different holidays coming up. I thought that was pretty clever and a nice way to feel "festive" all year round.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

MamaToreen

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
My stuff came down today

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
If you don't take them down by Easter, the bunny won't deliver the chocolate eggs!