Author Topic: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?  (Read 12304 times)

magdalena

• Super Hero!
Re: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 02:47:07 AM »
Everything but the tree was put away this weekend and the tree will go on Knut, the 13th of Jan (or next Sat. at the latest, if I decide I need DH's help to get it out).

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 05:07:12 AM »

We took ours down on the 26th.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:22 AM »
Our tree came down last night, when I got tired of looking at it and thinking "I need to take it down"!  :D  Because DH is the only one who can get at the box that we store all our lights, stockings, etc in, all that has to wait to be put away until he gets around to it.  Hopefully that'll be in the next couple of days.  I don't like leaving heaps of lights around and stockings still up when the tree isn't there!

Kaire

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 10:54:24 AM »
the tree comes down when it becomes a fire hazard, which was the Sunday after New Years.  I still miss it and taking it down always makes me cry.  Every year it's the "prettiest tree EVER!" and it breaks my heart to put all the sparkly pretty stuff away!  Now it's in the back yard for the birds.

Amava

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Oh wow, Kaire! That is a wonderful christmas tree!  :o

Miss March

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
While it can be hard to take down a beautiful tree and put away sentimental decorations, I do think it makes the short period that they are up feel more special.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 12:59:30 PM »
I take everything down as soon after New Year's Day that I can.

Me too.  This year it came down on Sunday.  We still had to put away the boxes a few days after. 

I decided that next year we will only put up the tree and the lighted garland on the staircase.  I have so many Christmas Chotchkies, that they take the most time to pack and wrap.   I packed up everything in a very organized manner so that the order they are to come out, like the lights go on the tree first, garland next, decs after that... are all in one box. 

We put our tree up the last weekend before Christmas.  It all depends on how Christmas and the weekends prior to it fall.  I don't even go looking for a tree until around the 15th at the very least.  I think we put ours up the Sunday before Christmas this year which would have been the 20th.

As for Xmas lights, I disabled the timers on the front after new years, although I have a little pine tree pot on the front step that I left lit.  The lights won't come down for several months as we're in a huge deep freeze and it would be dangerous to do so.  Until we get some sort of thaw, they are up but not lit.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:26 PM »
We had an odd year this year - we just didn't have time to put up our own tree at all.  We spent Christmas day at my in-laws, and they elected to not put up their tree this year because they're in the midst of remodeling their house and they determined it would be too much of a hassle for a very short time.

Then we traveled to my parents' home for New Years, and they didn't have a tree either.  I think they had one up but took it down before we arrived.

One of our friends wanted to have a holiday party but couldn't schedule it until yesterday (Sunday the 10th) due to so many people's travel schedules, but when we arrived her home was still fully decked out in lights with her beautiful tree up, poinsettias everywhere, and festive foods and linens on the table.  Both my husband and I were delighted and surprised that we got to "have" a tree (even if just for one night) this holiday season.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:26 AM »
Ours come down whenever we say we do.  We're either lazy, or just love looking at the pretties, your pick.  ;)

We were going to take them down January 1st, 2nd this year, but I ended up with a big cold over New Years ^^;

Needless to say, they're still up.  :)

the Wyffe

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 08:04:34 AM »
My sister has told me that traditionally, one puts away one's Christmas decorations by January 6th- which is twelve days after Christmas. I was wondering if this is the general rule that people go by?

Yes for us.  Ours go up for the twelve days of Christmas, unless we're away before Christmas Eve.

Firecat

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 01:21:37 PM »
We have a fake tree, so it goes up during Thanksgiving weekend, and comes down on or shortly after New Year's. This year we took it down last Sunday.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
Decorations start going up on the first Sunday in Advent and come down on Jan. 6th.

Decorations being put away is a whole 'nother story!  It usually takes me a while to get them packed back up in the totes and stored in the crawl space.

My outside lights are turned off on Jan. 6th but aren't taken down until the weather cooperates.

Pod.  This is our tradition as well.  :)

mamakinz

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »
Ours comes down when we get tired of the tree being in the way.  This year we actually had to move furniture -- we moved in March and the living room does not have enough space for all of our sectional couch AND a tree -- so one small part  of the couch is in DD's room and the corner piece is in DS's room.

I am actually taking a break from undecorating the tree right now   ;D   But I am missing 1 of my ornament storage boxes (DH went to our storage unit yesterday, but forgot a box)

Frozen_Flowers

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »
Our decorations go up any time after Advent 1, but MUST be down no later than January 6th. I've always been told it's bad luck to leave them up for any later than that. I'm not sure if that's a British superstition or what, but it's definitely one I've come across a lot. This year we took them down on the 4th, because that's when it was most convenient, but we certainly wouldn't ever take them down any earlier than that.

January Girl

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 08:42:41 PM »
We don't have a hard and fast rule. Typically, the first weekend after New Years Eve.

The outside lights and garland are a different story though. Living in NW Ohio sometimes it's just TOO cold to get them down. We'll just turn the lights off and wait until it's a little warmer. And by a little warmer, I mean at least 30 degrees to take them down. :)