Author Topic: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?  (Read 11125 times)

Ereine

Re: When should the Christmas decorations be put away?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2010, 06:00:26 AM »
I made some decorations for Christmas, a paper door wreath and some hanging ornaments and after Christmas (which I spent at my mother's) decided that they weren't really Christmas decorations at all, there's nothing Christmassy about them at all and I wasn't tired of them so they're still up. I think that I'll do a huge spring cleaning if I have time or energy and will put them away then.

CuriousGeorge

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:12 PM »
We kept ours up longer because we couldn't bear to take the Christmas tree away from the cat.

Best quote ever.   ;D

Namárië

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2010, 09:19:40 AM »
I'm debating whether to take down my "Valentine's Day tree" or change it into a St. Patrick's Day tree...  ;D
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
Our outside lights are still up because when we had a break in the weather DH was busy so we couldn't take them down.

I think that we will not be putting outside lights up after this year for a while because it has gotten to be that January is a busy time for us.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2010, 05:24:05 PM »
I'm actually going to be putting some of mine back up in the next few weeks!  My daughter's 10th birthday is being celebrated on March 6th, and we're turning our garage into a discoteque, and are decorating outside canopies and our trailer awning and such with strands of white C9's for the adults (we're turning our trailer into an outdoor bar area for the grownups).  It sounds fun in my head so far!

Yankee-Belle

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »
I was walking my dog the other night. Our neighbors door was open, and their Christmas tree was still up and the lights on.

agentsmith

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2010, 03:05:37 PM »
I finally took my nativity set down on Ash Wednesday.  Can't have my liturgical seasons overlapping now can I?   ;)   

JoW

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2010, 11:56:37 PM »
People in my neighborhood started taking down the outdoor decorations this past weekend.  North and east of me they may not start for another couple of weeks.   Its hard to take down decorations when theres 1 foot of snow on the lawn. 

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
My across-the-street neighbours still have their lights and wreath up. They put them up in November, so it's not like they just leave them up 365 - I guess they got tired of messing with it.

In my family we always took decorations down on Boxing Day.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »
As long as the weather works, it's far past time.

If you still have them up, my leprechauns will be there to rip them down during our St. Patrick's Day party Saturday coming.

Why does my house smell like cleaning fluids and corned beef right now?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2010, 01:10:10 AM »
Our lights are still up, but we don't turn them on.  We've had tonnes of snow and dh isn't chancing injuring himself to remove them until he can do so safely. 

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »
That's why I said for the weather to work for you! We had a vinyl roof that was icy through April one year. The deer stayed up, and we were never injured! The cupids, leprechauns and bunnies still came around!

demarco

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2010, 11:12:24 AM »
We had the gas company guy over to investigate a leak a couple of weeks ago.  While he was walking up our driveway he said, "Are you the kind of people who don't take down your Christmas lights?"  I hung my head in shame.  The lights on our bushes were still up.  We've got most of them off now, except for the ones that are high up. 

I finally got the ornaments out of the living room about two weeks ago.  They are sitting in trays on the floor in a little used bedroom upstairs now.  I call that progress. 

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »
I unplug the Christmas lights sometime between the 6th & 15th of January.  They come down when the weather is finally decent.  This year that was in March.  I but the lights with white wires so they blend in with my siding better and don't stick out like a sore thumb. 

Inside the house.... last night I realized that I still have a snowman candle sitting on my dining room hutch.  Funny how you can walk past something and just not see it!

Shea

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »
The people on my route to work who've had a Christmas wreath on their door since early December finally took it down a few days ago. Good thing too, it was all brown and ugly.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.