Author Topic: Good tattoo placement?  (Read 1150 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Re: Good tattoo placement?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 12:46:24 AM »
Great advice so far! Thanks!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Lynnv

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
I have three tattoos.

I got a black panther on my right shoulder blade back over 20 years ago.  It hurt (of course), but nothing unbearable.  And it has remained pretty constant despite any weight changes I have had.  It is easy to hide-I just make sure none of my work shirts is too sheer.  It doesn't have any deep meaning-it is a piece of flash that I liked when I got it (and I still like him).  I will say that, at the time, I was dithering between two designs.  One was much more "out there" than the one I got.  And I really loved it (and still like it okay).  But I am glad I got my second choice because, now, I think it is a design that looks better long term than my first choice would have.

My second one is a phoenix that is located about two inches down from my collar in the middle of my back.  Again, it hurt-but wasn't too awful.  I got him about 6-7 years ago.  The artist was competent but not great.  He did an okay job with it, and the original art was good, so I do love it.  I think my current artist could have done much better with it.  It is in a good place for me.  A normal t-shirt or work blouse easily hides it, but if I want to show it off, I just pull my collar down in the back a little bit or wear something that is cut a bit lower in the back.  Again, it hasn't been impacted by weight changes at all.

My most recent tattoo is a sugar skull that was just finished about three weeks ago.  A couple of the really heavily shaded areas are still peeling.  I put this one on my upper left arm.  He is easy to hide under a short sleeved shirt, but easy to show off by wearing something sleeveless or where the short sleeves are shorter than normal.  I am beyond pleased with the artist-I gave him some pretty bare bones direction and he came up with something better than I could have imagined.  I will be having him do another one on my other shoulder sometime in the next 6 mos/1 year time frame.  This one was probably the least painful because it is more fleshy than the other areas.  It is the one of mine most likely to be changed if my weight changes. 

I know some people will say to only get a tattoo that is personally meaningful to you, but I am not sure I agree.  My panther was just a piece of flash.  His only real meaning is that he is a reminder of where I was in my life at that point.  But I still love him.

The other two have more personal meaning, and I wouldn't trade them for something else (though if I had a time machine I would tell myself to go to my current artist instead of the guy who did the phoenix).  But that doesn't mean that I like the panther any less.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hillia

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »
I have two: my first was 20+ years ago, a small parrot on my right lower back, where (on me, with no behind to speak of) my body starts to curve out.  My second was done 5 years ago; it's a good sized cherry tree in the middle of my back.  It doesn't show under normal work clothes, although casual shirts that are cut a little lower in the back neckline reveal a bit. 

Aside from reasons others have mentioned, I like mine where it is specifically because I don't see it all the time.  It's kind of a fun 'surprise' every now and then, when I'm drying off after a shower and just happen to look at the mirror and see it. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
I've got numerous tattoos, the latest of which is still a work in progress.  It's a large phoenix, head is on the front of my right shoulder with little tendril things up my neck, one wing takes up nearly my entire right upper arm, and almost full back.  All my tatts can be covered with regular clothing, depending on the collar I may need a scarf to cover all of the bird.

A couple of things to consider:

Size of the tattoo.  More detail needs a larger tattoo - they can be scaled up or down to some extent, but a detailed small tattoo will blur over time, and that detail will get lost.  So consider carefully how big you want it to be when you decide on the design.

Colour vs monochrome.  Personal taste, and obviously depends on the design.  Some tattooists have preferences and only do one or the other.

The tattooist.  Check out their work.  Most places have books of flash, plus photos of previous work.  Check out the work before you decide who to book with. 

Body area.  Some tattoos are designed for specific body areas, and look best on those areas.  It's possible to get a custom design that works around a body part (or parts) like my phoenix. 

Body area for visibility.  Do you want it covered most of the time?  Are there times when you'll want to flash it?

Body area again, for the pain factor.  Bony areas tend to be more painful than more fleshy areas.  And the more sensitive the area in general, the more the tattooing process will hurt.  I found the neck part of my birdie excruciating...  the tattooist said I was very brave, considering he'd had an outlaw motorcycle gang member tap out when he was doing a neck tatt on him!   ;D 

Body area again (!) for aftercare.  You will need to be able to reach the area to apply cream for 1-2 weeks.  Can you reach the area, or do you have someone who can do it for you?  Also, with some areas, clothes rubbing (eg bra straps, jeans waist-line etc) can make the healing process a tad uncomfortable!

Future tattoos.  Tatts can be addictive, so if you think you're going to end up with more than one, think about the placement carefully.  My bird has a wee green frog nestled on his back - the frog has been there for years, so the tattooist worked him into the bird.  At the time I got the frog, I wasn't intending to get more tatts, so shoulder blade was just fine. 

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »
Even if you're getting a very small tattoo, ask the artist to draw it for you before it goes on.  Mine is just a small flower, but it isn't exactly what I wanted.  I'm happy with it (20 years later), but I'd be happier if it matched my vision.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 12:13:36 AM »
This is all really great advice!

At this point I am trying to settle in on a design that will be meaningful to me and beautiful.  I get tired of things, so it really has to have meaning...will most likely somehow center on my faith, my children, and the moon.

Love the idea of putting a temporary tattooing a spot for a month to see how I like it! Alternately maybe I will whip out my sharpies and have some of my artistic friends draw my vision on me! Lol

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~