Author Topic: "You know what you should do..." and other bits of useless advice...  (Read 6563 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: "You know what you should do..." and other bits of useless advice...
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
He gave me a quizzical look when I mentioned I'd paid off my last car, and asked "you financed a used car?".

Why yes, yes, I did.  Because I didn't have 10k just sitting around, I *could* have purchased a cheap beater with what I put as a downpayment but who knows what kind of problems that would have had, and my BF and I were sharing one car at the time while working overlapping shifts on opposite ends of town.  So I got a 5 year loan (so that in the event money got tight, I could still manage the minimum payments), and paid it off in just over three and a half years.

A former CW said someting similar to me, but it was when my used but not-yet-paid-for-in-full car blew a transmission. "why don't you just get a new one?" Well, let me see. I don't have $$ for a down payment on something new, nor can I afford TWO car payments. So while I'd love to do that, my budget won't allow me to.

Funny thing was, I paid the car off early, and even sold it when I bought my new one recently.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »
I forgot this gem, from my thinks-she's-being-helpful cousin. She's in the military, makes double what I do, AND gets almost the amount of my take home pay as her housing allowance.  She was also married so two incomes at the time she/they bought their townhouse.

I live in a 1BR apt, and the area I live in, apts don't come with washers/dryers, unless they are new and considered luxery, but then out of my budget. Yet that doens't stop her from asking me every now and again if I've considered buying a condo or townhouse. Which I can't afford. I know, because I've looked!  yet she seems to think that I can, even though I make half of what she does. Because you know she did! 

nuit93

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
I forgot this gem, from my thinks-she's-being-helpful cousin. She's in the military, makes double what I do, AND gets almost the amount of my take home pay as her housing allowance.  She was also married so two incomes at the time she/they bought their townhouse.

I live in a 1BR apt, and the area I live in, apts don't come with washers/dryers, unless they are new and considered luxery, but then out of my budget. Yet that doens't stop her from asking me every now and again if I've considered buying a condo or townhouse. Which I can't afford. I know, because I've looked!  yet she seems to think that I can, even though I make half of what she does. Because you know she did!

Yeah, my mom tried to get me to buy a house that was for sale in her neighborhood many years ago.  She figured we could afford it (something like 325k, which was CHEAP for the city she lived in) because my BF worked with computers.

She didn't quite believe me when I pointed out that a helpdesk job didn't really pay that much better than she was making as a union grocery employee.

Library Dragon

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »
We have the friends that no matter what we are going to do pass on every scrap of paper or email that may apply. 

Briefly DH and I owned a franchise of a toasty sandwich chain.  The companies keep very strict control of decor, menu, etc.  These friends would always bring us menus from other chains and say, "You should serve this."

US: Oh, this thing thing that's almost like X on the menu, but not toasted? We aren't allowed to change the menu, corporate will fine us at inspection.  They are very controlling.

Friends: Yeah, and get tables that look like this place.

US: We cannot do that. We will get fined by corporate.

Friends: No need to get mad.

Before our 20th trip to Rome, we're given the 30 year old bus map with lines that have changed numbers or don't exist. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter