Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 35707 times)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2010, 05:32:10 AM »
The one song that makes me want to get a large stick and beat the radio with it is "Baby, It's Cold Outside".

For the love of anything, can someone explain to me why this is considered a Christmas song? (It's played ad nausum during December here.)

It seems to be a (ahem) 'better' version of "Lets Get Drunk and Scr3w".
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

MaggieB

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
The one song that makes me want to get a large stick and beat the radio with it is "Baby, It's Cold Outside".

For the love of anything, can someone explain to me why this is considered a Christmas song? (It's played ad nausum during December here.)

Ha ha ha!  At least Jimmy Buffet could call a spade a spade.

MissRose

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »
*Any song done by John Mayer ... he grates my nerves, and I got to change the station when he's on the radio.

*Most rap and hip hop - cant stand that most of the songs emphasize either sex or violence, and the music videos do the same thing in that genre.

*James blunt's "Your Beautiful"

*Most everything of Cher's... my mother loves her music, I can't really stand her voice.

*Songs done by current "Disney kids/teens/young adults" like the High School Musical ones, Miley, Selena Gomez, etc... This kids CAN'T sing a note to save their hide. Give me Christina Aguilera or Justin Timberlake any day - they can give lessons on singing & performance to the current Disney performers IMO.

*Insatiable by Darren Hayes... I will NOT listen to it as it reminds me of an unrequited romance as the guy I was trying to pursue a few years dedicated it to a girl I can't stand at all, and she was bragging about it on a forum & her social networking site pages. 

*Any songs by people like Paris Hilton, Lindsay, Hilary Duff, etc.  Sorry girls, you can't sing, you can't act.  They need to get a real life and some of you need to stop being so trashy.

*Angel - Sarah Mclachlan, sick of hearing it on some animal rights commercial don't recall its name.  Some people need to listen to the lyrics first!

There are others I'm sure, I just got to think of them!!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2010, 05:58:02 AM »

If you ever get the chance, watch the version by Miss Piggy and Rudolph Nureyev from the Muppet Show.

Best. Version. Ever.
NE England

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2010, 06:26:28 AM »

Someone mentioned Macarthur Park before. Yeah bad song but The Four Tops did a pretty good version.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Gyburc

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:35 AM »
There is a deeply cheesy song by a metal band (whose name I forget) called 'Fly like an Angel'.

The chorus goes:

'So now you're gonna flyyyyyyy,
Fly like an angeeeeeeel
Heaven awaits your call
And flowers bloom in your name.'

It is possible to write and perform a really moving heavy metal song ('Nothing Else Matters', for instance). This one, however, just does not work.

And at Christmas, MIL bought DH's brother the CD of Bob Dylan's Christmas music. BIL insisted on playing it at least three times through. I am not a Bob Dylan fan, but he did OK on 'Walking in a Winter Wonderland'. 'Adeste Fideles', however, had me fleeing the room.

(Out of interest, is there anyone else here who thinks that Dylan must have been high on drink, drugs, something before making this album??!)

:)

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

MsCopper

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:23 AM »
There is a deeply cheesy song by a metal band (whose name I forget) called 'Fly like an Angel'.

The chorus goes:

'So now you're gonna flyyyyyyy,
Fly like an angeeeeeeel
Heaven awaits your call
And flowers bloom in your name.'

It is possible to write and perform a really moving heavy metal song ('Nothing Else Matters', for instance). This one, however, just does not work.

And at Christmas, MIL bought DH's brother the CD of Bob Dylan's Christmas music. BIL insisted on playing it at least three times through. I am not a Bob Dylan fan, but he did OK on 'Walking in a Winter Wonderland'. 'Adeste Fideles', however, had me fleeing the room.

(Out of interest, is there anyone else here who thinks that Dylan must have been high on drink, drugs, something before making this album??!)

:)

The name of the band is: Slaughter. And I agree..
"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday"

Verloona Ti

« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2010, 07:39:34 AM »

So, so fully agree! I loathe that song-even more than the egregious Santa Baby.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
In the Christmas mode, I'll add "All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" and "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."  Sorry; I don't think these are "cute."

Ditto on "Honey".  Hated that back in the day and it sounds even worse now.

More up to date, I also vote for "Asereje" by Las Ketchup.  I hate nonsense words with the intensity of a laser beam.

AprilRenee

« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:30 AM »
oh that new song...10,000 fireflies or something like that. It grates on my ears.

And the Mariah Carey one, the new one. Can't remember the name but it's got the line "Lying that you're sexin' me" in it. UGH

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »
I know I'm a little late for the game, but there's one that's always made my skin crawl, and I can't forget it.
Heart's "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You."
Basically about a woman having a one night stand to get preggers because her significant other couldn't. The first time I heard that song (which was in my mid-teens), "Hasn't she heard of getting sperm from an actual donor?"
My friends all thought I was horribly unromantic.

While I really like the song, I kind of agree. But the feminist in me goes, "Hah! This time it was the guy who got scr3wed over, nyah nyah!" I don't think the song is romantic at all.

But I think the video of it is lovely.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
Most of the songs played on the Country Music station.

I like a couple of songs/artists...but it seems like the stations around here have about 20 songs they play. I know because my DH listens to country music and it just grates on my every nerve after about an hour. Who said country music wasn't emo? I just want to yell "STOP WHINING!!"

Take a Look at my Girlfriend by Supertramp. UGH!!! this has to be the most annoying, grating song EVER! And the radio stations play it all. the. time.

Bob Dylan. Anything by Bob Dylan. Who said that guy could sing? I cannot understand a word that man is saying!

Sorry to all the Boomers who love him!

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Corbin

« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2010, 09:12:36 AM »
oh that new song...10,000 fireflies or something like that. It grates on my ears.

And the Mariah Carey one, the new one. Can't remember the name but it's got the line "Lying that you're sexin' me" in it. UGH

The fireflies one, how did that ever get on the radio?!?! Oh my goodness, it's so insipid! Can't there be a happy medium? We get drugs, sex and violence or overly sweet, chirpy carp like that!!

Oh, and my local radio station must be watching this thread because I swear they are playing every.blessed.song on this list!!
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »
[
My next one is Sarah MacLaughlin's "In the Arms of an Angel."  Maybe it's how it's been used recently but I can't listen to it.

How is it used? A lot of people completely misunderstand that song, which is about drug addiction. No, I'm not making it up - she says so on the liner notes of one of her CDs.

Wow... based on the chorus, I thought it was about someone committing suicide after living a difficult life.

MamaToreen

« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »
The Pina Colada song.

I always thought the lyrics sounded like they were written by an 8 year old.  Well, maybe a pretty worldly 8 year old, but still.

I always hated it because, let's face it, they both wanted out of the relationship but never talked, and they think it will work now?