Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 37288 times)

MamaToreen

Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2010, 10:35:27 AM »
I absolutely hate Whitney Houston's version of I Will Always Love You, she took a beautiful song and totally ruined it. I also hate anything, and I do mean anything by Duran Duran, total garbage.

Ed.

I'll never understand why Whitney insisted on yelling and gasping her way through that song. Dolly Parton sang it so simply and honestly.

Dolly knew what it meant. After all, she wrote it. (Yes, I know the history of the song.)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »
OK, in retrospect, I now offer Byan Adam's "“(I Wanna Be) Your Underwear".

;D
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

MamaToreen

« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
OK, in retrospect, I now offer Byan Adam's "“(I Wanna Be) Your Underwear".

;D

Wait, what? That's REAL?!? I thought my friend made up that title as a joke!!!!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »
ginlyn32 wrote:

"Bob Dylan. Anything by Bob Dylan. Who said that guy could sing? I cannot understand a word that man is saying!"

It's okay, Bob Dylan never thought Bob Dylan could sing either.  In fact, he said more than once that he hated having to sing on stage.

happygrrl wrote:

"OK, in retrospect, I now offer Byan Adam's "“(I Wanna Be) Your Underwear"."

That song has a great groove!  I agree that it's skeevy but very funny.

MamaToreen wrote:

"I always hated it because, let's face it, they both wanted out of the rel@tionship but never talked, and they think it will work now?"

You're not the only one.  The first time I heard "Escape" and actually listened to the words, I found myself confused.  They were both so incompatible that they cheated on each other, only to find each that the other was both untrustworthy and bad at communication.  How exactly was this supposed to result in true love?

Virg

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
[
My next one is Sarah MacLaughlin's "In the Arms of an Angel."  Maybe it's how it's been used recently but I can't listen to it.

How is it used? A lot of people completely misunderstand that song, which is about drug addiction. No, I'm not making it up - she says so on the liner notes of one of her CDs.

Wow... based on the chorus, I thought it was about someone committing suicide after living a difficult life.
She's a huge animal activist and uses the song for those sad-eyed animal commercials that the SPCA uses to wring the tears from your eyes and the cash from your pockets.((let me say, I am not anti-SPCA, or anything, I just hate that kind of blatant manipulation))
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Petticoats

« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »
Wow, is this bringing up some songs that I was very happy to have forgotten. Now I'm eight (?) years old again, in my modern dance class, with "Somebody's knocking at the door, somebody's ringing the bell" playing over and over and over and... <gags>

Although I do have a soft spot for "Shiny Happy People"--or, as I called it once in a tongue-tied moment, "Heinie Slappy People."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »
George Michael's "Father Figure." It's a recognized kink, yes, but let's not romanticize it, people.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
And pretty much anything Steely Dan. Don't know why that group bugs me so much, but I absolutely have to turn them off whenever they're played on the radio.

POD to the Steely Dan. My partner loves them though. I was at an antique store one day and someone was selling the entire collection. On vinyl. So I bought it for him, but with a caveat: none of the records can be played while I'm in the house.  ;D He says it was worth it.

Paper Roses

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »
I can't believe nobody mentioned "And Honey I miss you".  I hate that song!
Bobby Goldsboro.  I'm with you. 

I'm still, 40+ years later, wondering how Honey died. 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Lexophile

« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
What about that "I've been to paradise" song by Charlene?

Every time I hear that song I picture some woman singing bad karaoke who has had too much to drink and thinks she's all that. And she's not.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
Every time I hear that song I picture some woman singing bad karaoke who has had too much to drink and thinks she's all that. And she's not.

Hee hee. Have you seen the video of it? Talk about bad dubbing!! Yikes.

Although I do like the song. I played it when I was very young and was singing it one day, and my mother stopped me and said, "WHAT?" I asked what freaked her out and she was like, "WHAT did you just sing?" ... Yeah. I'd been singing the part that goes, "I spent my life exploring the subtle wh*ring that costs too much to be free". Oops. To be fair, I was only 12 at the time and didn't know what "wh*ring" was.  :P

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
The Chicken Dance.

Not only do I hate that song per se.

But it does NOT belong at a wedding.

When my brother went to a wedding for the first time (as an invited guest), he told me that the Chicken Dance they played was more suited for a kindergarten's class end of year party than for the union of two adults in holy matrimony.

That one was forbidden at my wedding... As in I told the DJ if he played it he wouldn't get paid by order of the PsychoBride (Me!)

I told my DJ the same thing about "Achy Breaky Heart" Cannot stand that song!

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »

I wouldn't call it a real song but has anybody heard 'Revolution 9' by The Beatles?
The first time my dh played that for me I ran screaming from the room with threats to kill  :D. It was baaaaad  :o

None of the other Beatles plus George Martin wanted that song on the album.  John (and Yoko) won.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »

Hee hee. Have you seen the video of it? Talk about bad dubbing!! Yikes.

Although I do like the song. I played it when I was very young and was singing it one day, and my mother stopped me and said, "WHAT?" I asked what freaked her out and she was like, "WHAT did you just sing?" ... Yeah. I'd been singing the part that goes, "I spent my life exploring the subtle wh*ring that costs too much to be free". Oops. To be fair, I was only 12 at the time and didn't know what "wh*ring" was.  :P

Hey!  That's my favorite song on the The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert soundtrack!!!  There was a time when you couldn't pass me on the highway without seeing me belting it out at the top of my lungs cuz you know I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got  ;D

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2010, 01:21:32 PM »
Hey!  That's my favorite song on the The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert soundtrack!!!  There was a time when you couldn't pass me on the highway without seeing me belting it out at the top of my lungs cuz you know I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got  ;D

Have you also been undressed by kings and seen some things that a woman ain't s'posed to see?
 >:D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)