Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 34444 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #435 on: July 27, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
Okay-after dinner last night, I must put another song into contention.

I don't know if it was I love the 80s night at the restaurant or what the deal was.  But they played Toni Basil's Mickey.  Aaaarg.  Insipid, inane and about as catchy as the common cold.  So you hear it and end up singing along EVEN THOUGH you hate it.  In that vein, I would like to add 867-5309. 

I would also like to add the entire montage of stalker songs that they played:

Every Breath You Take (the Police)
Private Eyes (Hall & Oats)
I Want You to Want Me (Cheap Trick)
Never Gonna Give You Up (someone I should know but can't remember right now)

I like the songs.  But playing them back to back just gave us a complete creepy stalker vibe. 

Never Gonna Give You Up is by Rick Astley. I wouldn't consider either that or I Want You To Want Me to be even remotely stalkerish.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #436 on: July 27, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »
Rickrolling isn't stalking, but it's not fun. Especially when someone has it set up so no matter what you do, it keeps popping up in another window. Grr.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #437 on: July 27, 2010, 11:25:30 PM »

I told my DJ the same thing about "Achy Breaky Heart" Cannot stand that song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4M-4yDlvFo

I hate that song with the fire of a thousand suns!! (Billy Ray's, not Weird Al's!)  In middle school, when we had the dance unit in gym and learned to line dance, the teacher played that song.   Over, and over, and over everyday that we had gym.   I love to dance but I was so happy when we moved onto another unit!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jules1980

« Reply #438 on: July 27, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
For those of you who hate Butterfly Kisses and that ilk, how do you feel about  "Cleaning this Gun" by Rodney Atkins.  I love it.  But I love it for what it is, a tongue in cheek song, just to make you laugh.  I never  placed any thoughts about the dad being inappropriately possessive of his daughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjO9kX4npVY

Lynnv

« Reply #439 on: July 27, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »
Okay-after dinner last night, I must put another song into contention.

I don't know if it was I love the 80s night at the restaurant or what the deal was.  But they played Toni Basil's Mickey.  Aaaarg.  Insipid, inane and about as catchy as the common cold.  So you hear it and end up singing along EVEN THOUGH you hate it.  In that vein, I would like to add 867-5309. 

I would also like to add the entire montage of stalker songs that they played:

Every Breath You Take (the Police)
Private Eyes (Hall & Oats)
I Want You to Want Me (Cheap Trick)
Never Gonna Give You Up (someone I should know but can't remember right now)

I like the songs.  But playing them back to back just gave us a complete creepy stalker vibe. 

Never Gonna Give You Up is by Rick Astley. I wouldn't consider either that or I Want You To Want Me to be even remotely stalkerish.

I agree-at least until they are played back-to-back like that.  It wasn't any of the individual songs (each of which I like) that sent me there.  It was hearing them all played back to back.  :>  There are certainly individual songs out there that would have made the whole set even worse...
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mel

« Reply #440 on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:53 AM »
I like most music, most genres (very few rap and metal though, and I love most classical.  I don't care for the new country) but these are songs I can't stand:

California Gurls - Katy Perry (Most of the tune is catchy, but the part where she wails "oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh oh" hits a raw nerve)
Umbrella - Rihanna (umberella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh-eh....argh!!)
I Will Always Love you - Whitney Houston (I love Dolly Parton singing it though...beautiful song, but Whitney butchered it)

Anything with excessive swearing
Anything by Nickelback (I used to like them but they were soooo overplayed)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2010, 08:23:07 AM »
Watching You, by Rodney Atkins.   It's playing now and if I had a gun, I'd shoot the radio, Elvis style. :P

BarensMom

« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
Office Depot totally destroyed any desire to hear "Taking Care of Business" for me.  There was a store in my area that would play it over and over and over and over.....  I think it's not there any more - gee, I wonder why?

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #443 on: July 28, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
Michael Buble makes my ears bleed

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #444 on: July 28, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »

"Lay Lady Lay."  Just from the sound of his voice, and the way he expresses himself, I'm not getting anywhere NEAR his big brass bed!   :P

C'mon, he used to be hot!

http://globalrocklegends.blogspot.com/2008/12/bob-dylan.html

And He's Bob Dylan!

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #445 on: July 28, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
Ex-Cheetah Girl Kiely Williams gives us "Spectacular", a touching tribute to binge drinking and date r@pe.

Brings a lump to your throat, doesn't it?  :P

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
I just thought of another song I absolutely despise!

The Electric Slide. We ALWAYS had to do that stupid dance during PE class when it was rainy.

Now, it just makes me homicidal when I hear it.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
For those of you who hate Butterfly Kisses and that ilk, how do you feel about  "Cleaning this Gun" by Rodney Atkins.  I love it.  But I love it for what it is, a tongue in cheek song, just to make you laugh.  I never  placed any thoughts about the dad being inappropriately possessive of his daughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjO9kX4npVY

Love it. My dad has it as his ring tone on my phone.

Wittyone

« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:44 PM »
I just heard one last night that I wish would be lost in the darkest recesses of the music vault.   

Tom's Diner   by Suzanne Vega.
California

magicdomino

« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
"Please Don't Leave Me" by Pink.  Abusive behavior isn't any more acceptable when the abuser is female.

"How did I become so obnoxious,
What is it with you that makes me act like this,
I've never been this nasty,
Can't you tell that this is all just a contest?
The one that wins will be the one that hits the hardest,
But baby I don't mean it,
I mean it, I promise"

Like "Every Breath You Take", the song may not be meant to be a "feel-good" type of song.  That doesn't not mean I want to be creeped out several times a day.