Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 36523 times)

LeeLee88

Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #450 on: July 28, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »
Ex-Cheetah Girl Kiely Williams gives us "Spectacular", a touching tribute to binge drinking and date r@pe.

Brings a lump to your throat, doesn't it?  :P

:o  :o  :o Holy jeeeeezzzzz.... WOW.  I'll tell ya' what's not spectacular, everything about that whole thing!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #451 on: July 28, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
"Please Don't Leave Me" by Pink.  Abusive behavior isn't any more acceptable when the abuser is female.

"How did I become so obnoxious,
What is it with you that makes me act like this,
I've never been this nasty,
Can't you tell that this is all just a contest?
The one that wins will be the one that hits the hardest,
But baby I don't mean it,
I mean it, I promise"

Like "Every Breath You Take", the song may not be meant to be a "feel-good" type of song.  That doesn't not mean I want to be creeped out several times a day.

I alwasy took the song to be from the point of veiw of a abusive girl who is trying to make it right and be a better person.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

HelenB

« Reply #452 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
I'd forgotten about this one. We were watching 'A Capitol Fourth' this 4th of July, and they had Reba McEntire on. And she sang "Fancy". Now, I don't like the song to start with, but I was ranting at the screen that it wasn't an appropriate song for the family audience they had at the concert. And then they showed that people were singing along, and singing to their kids (at least it seemed that way).  Does no one listen to the lyrics?!!!

*grumble, grumble, and them kids better stay outta my yard too**

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #453 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
I'd forgotten about this one. We were watching 'A Capitol Fourth' this 4th of July, and they had Reba McEntire on. And she sang "Fancy". Now, I don't like the song to start with, but I was ranting at the screen that it wasn't an appropriate song for the family audience they had at the concert. And then they showed that people were singing along, and singing to their kids (at least it seemed that way).  Does no one listen to the lyrics?!!!

When Kellie Pickler sang that song on American Idol some years ago, I screamed to Chip, "Doesn't she know what that song is about?? A mother [selling] out her daughter?!?!?"

Chip said Pickler probably didn't understand the lyrics.  ::)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #454 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »

I didn't watch it, but I'll bet they had Martina McBride singing "Independence Day"  because that's what makes this country strong:  domestic abuse, arson and a murder suicide.

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #455 on: July 28, 2010, 10:31:11 PM »

I didn't watch it, but I'll bet they had Martina McBride singing "Independence Day"  because that's what makes this country strong:  domestic abuse, arson and a murder suicide.

yup. brings a tear to yer eye.
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #456 on: July 29, 2010, 12:48:25 AM »

I do like the song (I found a Stargate music video of it with scenes of Daniel Jackson - which you wouldn't think could work, but does) but honestly, let's play a song about a kid whose mother makes her become a h00ker. Honestly. Reba has so many great songs, why sing a) that one and b) a cover of a Bobbie Gentry song? Or at least show pictures of Daniel while singing it...  ;D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #457 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »

I do like the song (I found a Stargate music video of it with scenes of Daniel Jackson - which you wouldn't think could work, but does) but honestly, let's play a song about a kid whose mother makes her become a h00ker. Honestly. Reba has so many great songs, why sing a) that one and b) a cover of a Bobbie Gentry song? Or at least show pictures of Daniel while singing it...  ;D

My mom likes Fancy, and she put it to me this way: While she would much rather I stick to another profession, she understands the sentiment of a parent wanting her child to grow up and be able to go off and do even better for herself.  She just figured Fancy went about it in the wrong way.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »

My mom likes Fancy, and she put it to me this way: While she would much rather I stick to another profession, she understands the sentiment of a parent wanting her child to grow up and be able to go off and do even better for herself.  She just figured Fancy went about it in the wrong way.

Fancy's mother was desperate.

Punky B.

• I prefer not to.
« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
I just went and read Spectacular's lyrics-  :o :o :o

Really?  Really?  Gross.

Amava

« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »

Really?  Really?  Gross.

One would hope the song was meant as a joke, a parody... but probably not, hmm?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #461 on: July 29, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »

Really?  Really?  Gross.

I just read the lyrics myself.

I'm not a fan of restrictive censoring of music for my kids. I would not, however, let them listen to THAT one.

magicdomino

« Reply #462 on: July 29, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »
"Please Don't Leave Me" by Pink.  Abusive behavior isn't any more acceptable when the abuser is female.

I mean it, I promise"

Like "Every Breath You Take", the song may not be meant to be a "feel-good" type of song.  That doesn't not mean I want to be creeped out several times a day.

I alwasy took the song to be from the point of veiw of a abusive girl who is trying to make it right and be a better person.

She never says that she is going to make a real effort to quit being abusive.  She doesn't hate him, she doesn't want to lose him, but she enjoys abusing him too much to quit.  He's her "favorite little punching bag." 

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #463 on: July 29, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »

I mean it, I promise"

She never says that she is going to make a real effort to quit being abusive.  She doesn't hate him, she doesn't want to lose him, but she enjoys abusing him too much to quit.  He's her "favorite little punching bag." 

Hmm... she does appologize. And that he's beautiful to her.

But you're right, she never says she's gonna change, other than the fact that she seems surprised by how nasty she's been.

You're probably right, but the song's always reminded me of a pair of friends I have, and they DID work it out and stop abusing each other.

She was the main abuser, she'd pick at him and hit him and push him until he lashed back out at her, and one time when he didn't and just took it, she called me in tears because "if he still loved me he'd fight back!"

She got pregnant, they both realized they didnt want a kid to grow uop thinking they were normal, and both are in couples therapy trying to fix things. Its weird because their relationship has always been really violent, and I don't know if its possible for them to completely stop. Him, maybe. He really doesn;t start things. She, I'm not so sure, she came from a really screwed up family. But so far so good... three years and he hasn't laid a hand on her, and she's only lashed out at him twice. (Once in public... He had to physically carry her out to the car because she was hysterical and trying to beat him in the face.)

Maybe its my own hopes that my friends will get their relationship on track that makes me want to believe that song is about a repentant person?

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #464 on: July 29, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »

Really?  Really?  Gross.

I just read the lyrics myself.

I'm not a fan of restrictive censoring of music for my kids. I would not, however, let them listen to THAT one.

Probably not a parody, as parts of that are commonplace here.