Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 35946 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #465 on: July 29, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
I just went and read Spectacular's lyrics-  :o :o :o

Really?  Really?  Gross.

One would hope the song was meant as a joke, a parody... but probably not, hmm?

I just read the lyrics myself.

I'm not a fan of restrictive censoring of music for my kids. I would not, however, let them listen to THAT one.

Probably not a parody, as parts of that are commonplace here.

that song is eww.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #466 on: July 29, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
Whew!  Finished the thread.  *pats self on back*

I agree with the nominations for all the death songs (Honey, et al.) but I'm surprised no one mentioned Last Kiss.  That was the one where they were out on a date in daddy's car, etc., etc.

Or the really revolting parody of this genre, I Want my Baby Back.   :-X

p.s.  Huge Steely Dan fan here.  No offense taken; they can be hard to appreciate.  ;)

The Ricker

« Reply #467 on: July 29, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »
The original version of "Last Kiss" by J. Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers is tolerable.  The Pearl Jam version, however, is horrid.

Micah

« Reply #468 on: July 29, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »
The original version of "Last Kiss" by J. Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers is tolerable.  The Pearl Jam version, however, is horrid.

I love Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss." It's my ringtone.

S'ok, I'm used to being in the minority.  :P
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #469 on: July 30, 2010, 01:43:30 AM »
"Please Don't Leave Me" by Pink.  Abusive behavior isn't any more acceptable when the abuser is female.

"How did I become so obnoxious,
What is it with you that makes me act like this,
I've never been this nasty,
Can't you tell that this is all just a contest?
The one that wins will be the one that hits the hardest,
But baby I don't mean it,
I mean it, I promise"

Like "Every Breath You Take", the song may not be meant to be a "feel-good" type of song.  That doesn't not mean I want to be creeped out several times a day.

I alwasy took the song to be from the point of veiw of a abusive girl who is trying to make it right and be a better person.

She never says that she is going to make a real effort to quit being abusive.  She doesn't hate him, she doesn't want to lose him, but she enjoys abusing him too much to quit.  He's her "favorite little punching bag." 

We had an "Australian Idol" contestant sing that once, and it was so awkward when they were interacting with the audience, singing that line directly to them etc.  Oh, and it was a bloke singing.  Made it a very uncomfortable judging session.

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #470 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »

I love Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss." It's my ringtone.

S'ok, I'm used to being in the minority.  :P

I like it too.  I never heard the original, but I do like Pearl Jam's version a bit better than Wenzday's.  That one was okay too, though.

catgal

« Reply #471 on: July 31, 2010, 02:34:06 AM »
Wohoo - made it to the end of this thread. 

This has brought back great memories of songs that I loved, and reminded me of some that I agree are truly hideous eg Canada, we all love you but please keep Celine to yourself.

I have spent time looking up the lyrics to some of the songs mentioned here that I had never heard before and woooow the lyrics to Spectacular - I have no words  :o

Contenders for "Songs that should never be player - ever"
"Hip, Shake, Jerk" The Quick
"Mellow Yellow" ?
"Come back Suzanne" Bill Wyman

I am coming to accept that I am becoming a grumpy old woman and who listens to the classic rock stations cos a lot of the new music has me shaking my head and muttering about "decent songs, proper singers, and better in my day".  Sigh
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #472 on: July 31, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
I always thought that "Seasons in the Sun" was being sung from the viewpoint of someone who was dying, either of some long illness or an accident or whatever.  It's why I always find it so depressing.

Mopsy428

« Reply #473 on: July 31, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »

I agree with the nominations for all the death songs (Honey, et al.) but I'm surprised no one mentioned Last Kiss.  That was the one where they were out on a date in daddy's car, etc., etc.

p.s.  Huge Steely Dan fan here.  No offense taken; they can be hard to appreciate.  ;)
Years ago, I heard on one of those top 40 radio shows that the original "Last Kiss" was based on the story of and dedicated to a 16 year old girl who died in a car accident while on a date.  :'( So sad....

"I Believe" by Blessid Union of Souls makes me want to wash my ears out with bleach. It's the one with "I believeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sung in this whiny, whiny tone.

I'm also with the person who said that Miley Cyrus is absolutely awful, but I think some of her songs would be halfway decent (like "The Climb") if they were sung by someone else.

Wittyone

« Reply #474 on: July 31, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »

Years ago, I heard on one of those top 40 radio shows that the original "Last Kiss" was based on the story of and dedicated to a 16 year old girl who died in a car accident while on a date.  :'( So sad....

"I Believe" by Blessid Union of Souls makes me want to wash my ears out with bleach. It's the one with "I believeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sung in this whiny, whiny tone.

I'm also with the person who said that Miley Cyrus is absolutely awful, but I think some of her songs would be halfway decent (like "The Climb") if they were sung by someone else.

I love "I Believe."  But mostly that is because the music in it is lovely. 

California

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #475 on: July 31, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
Wohoo - made it to the end of this thread. 

This has brought back great memories of songs that I loved, and reminded me of some that I agree are truly hideous eg Canada, we all love you but please keep Celine to yourself.

Hey, we managed to persuade Vegas to take her, and we're not taking her back.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
I always thought that "Seasons in the Sun" was being sung from the viewpoint of someone who was dying, either of some long illness or an accident or whatever.  It's why I always find it so depressing.

It is being sung from the perspective of a dying man.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #477 on: July 31, 2010, 10:38:12 PM »

It is being sung from the perspective of a dying man.

One of my HS buddies changed the lyrics to, "We had joy, we had fun, we ate raisins in the sun ..." I liked his version better.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #478 on: August 01, 2010, 12:11:39 AM »
For someone earlier, Donovan sang Mellow Yellow.

My current hate is Adam Lambert's 'What Do You Want From Me?'. It was okay the first 50 times I heard it, but now all I can think is 'I want you to shut your whining yap'. It doesn't help that the only radio station we get at work is the local mix station, and they usually play this song at least twice during my shift. I now leap for the radio to switch it off when that song comes on, and have started bringing in my own CDs.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #479 on: August 01, 2010, 07:11:36 AM »
For someone earlier, Donovan sang Mellow Yellow.

My current hate is Adam Lambert's 'What Do You Want From Me?'. It was okay the first 50 times I heard it, but now all I can think is 'I want you to shut your whining yap'. It doesn't help that the only radio station we get at work is the local mix station, and they usually play this song at least twice during my shift. I now leap for the radio to switch it off when that song comes on, and have started bringing in my own CDs.

You're still getting that?  The next single's better.  ;D  Whataya Want From Me only works for me acoustically.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:16:50 AM by nolechica »