Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 35513 times)

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
Candidates for worst song ever.
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
I thought this would be fun.

This discussion is all about what songs you really hate and/or can't stand. That you think could possibly be the worst song ever. Now I enjoy lots of styles of music (except for opera, heavy metal, rap, and hard rock.), but there's at least a few from every style that I absolutely hate. So the song(s) can be from any style of music, or from any time period, it doesn't matter. It might do us all some good to get our feelings about these songs off our chests, LOL.

So I'll start. I heard a song this morning I hadn't heard in a long time, and if I never hear it again it'll be just fine. It's one from the 80s. Word Up by Cameo, a funk/rock group and incidentally it was their only "hit" song. The music is horrible, the words are stupid and the "singer" can't even sing! He's just awful. I'd rather listen to the sound of a jackhammer all day long LOL.

So that gets us started, but I've got a lot more. So do tell what are the songs that make your ears bleed? 8)

Ed.

Solanna Dryden

Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »
Showtunes. D:
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
Any song specifically?

Ed.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »
"I will take care of you" by Amy Skye, and "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlysle. If I ever get married, anyone who tries to play that schlock will get my ceremonial dagger flung at them!
After being subjected to that sort of glurge, I need an hour's worth of Eminem or the like to de-glurgefy myself.

Oh yeah, and "Loving you" by Minnie Riperton. That song should be used to torture Al Quida prisoners!

bekkhild

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
"Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlysle. If I ever get married, anyone who tries to play that schlock will get my ceremonial dagger flung at them!
After being subjected to that sort of glurge, I need an hour's worth of Eminem or the like to de-glurgefy myself.

POD to this! My brother and SIl played this at their wedding , during which her parents gave her away. It would have been bearable except that the song was some special 15 minute remix of it and the church was boiling hot (broken a/c in 90yo church in Oklahoma in June).

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Roxanne by the Police.

And pretty much anything Steely Dan. Don't know why that group bugs me so much, but I absolutely have to turn them off whenever they're played on the radio.

Paper Roses

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
"The Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston. 

That "Christmas Shoes" one - makes me want to give myself an insulin shot, and I'm not diabetic.

No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Pinky830

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
"The Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston. 

Pod...to me the worst thing isn't that it's so saccharine, it's Whitney's phrasing. She keeps taking a sudden breath in the middle of a sentence and the effect is awful.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »

That "Christmas Shoes" one - makes me want to give myself an insulin shot, and I'm not diabetic.

Oh gawd. And the movies/story too!

That song makes me think "Why are you giving them extra money for the shoes? Their MOM is DYING! She doesn't need shoes more than her kids need food does she?"

And yes, this was before and after my own mom died. i could understand the kids POV, but not why any adult would let them spend their much needed money on something that was so unnecisary. Just tell the little tykes that God will give their Mommy some shoes.  ::)

For worst songs, any song that is unnecisarrily sappy and depressing. Either of those are fine in moderation alone, but never together.

Also, any song with a hastily added on war or patriotic refrence tacked on so it'll sell more. I support our troops, but am saddened when someone tried to make a buck off tragedy or someone else's hard work. To me this comes down to "All hat, No cowboy" (Although oddly, Toby Keith songs don't bug me, and I love the song "riding with private malone" No clue why those two don't bother me.)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 05:53:19 PM »
The Pina Colada song.

I always thought the lyrics sounded like they were written by an 8 year old.  Well, maybe a pretty worldly 8 year old, but still.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
The Pina Colada song.

I always thought the lyrics sounded like they were written by an 8 year old.  Well, maybe a pretty worldly 8 year old, but still.

you mean "if you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain" one?

Its definatly odd.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

AprilRenee

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
Milkshake. It kills me (the "My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard" song

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
"Hero" by Enrique Iglesias. The most syrupy song ever recorded. Features such scorching lyrics as "Would you tremble if I touched your lips?" Bllleecchhhh! Be sure to catch the video which has Enrique slobbering all over Jennifer Love Hewitt and being beaten to death by Mickey Rourke. And no, I'm not joking.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »
The Pina Colada song.

you mean "if you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain" one?

Its definatly odd.

Child of the 70s here, and I admit that song is a guilty pleasure.  ;D

A couple of the worst songs ever: "Seasons in the Sun" by Terri Jacks and "Billy, Don't be a Hero."  And for the 80s, anything by Milli Vanilli.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 06:38:16 PM »
"The Birthday Song."  No doubt in my mind.  If I never hear it again I will be happy.

I'll agree with some of the other posts here (Steely Dan, because I can't stand their voices), "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias.

"My Heart Will Go On", by Celine Dion and "Loving You" by Minnie Ripperton are my other additions.