Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 35740 times)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
As much as I hate to contribute to any country music bashing, I have to say that Kenny Rogers had some doozies.  Coward of the County and Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town are so horrible I can't help but laugh...and then I feel bad.

My dad used to play a lot of Kenny Rogers during my formative years. I LOVE those songs!  ;D

I can't really think of any mainstream, middle-of-the-road songs that I think are really bad. I detest any song in which people swear or shout over the music, things like that. Rap and all that kind - it all sounds like noise to me.

And I can't even bring myself to dislike "MacArthur Park" - not when Weird Al did such a GREAT parody of it:
"Jurassic Park is frightening in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone shut the fence off in the rain
I admit it's kinda eerie
But this proves my chaos theory
And I don't think I'll be coming back again
On no..."   >:D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
Hey you guys not liking songs with your name - at least you HAVE a dong with your name in there. I thought there was one with my middle name, cause that's the way by big brother would sing it for me, but, nope, it's not that after all.

...my DH works hard to come up with songs with my name as I feel slighted. I'd love to have a really cheesy or terribly song that featured my name, but I'm out of luck.

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »
Modern music is why I spend so much time listening to talk radio.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2010, 11:07:57 AM »
The Chicken Dance.

Not only do I hate that song per se.

But it does NOT belong at a wedding.

When my brother went to a wedding for the first time (as an invited guest), he told me that the Chicken Dance they played was more suited for a kindergarten's class end of year party than for the union of two adults in holy matrimony.

I hate that song with the white-hot hate I usually reserve for Celine Dion. I find it grossly inappropriate for weddings.

I had to ban it from my wedding - and I married a Texan of Czech extraction, so you can bet ours was the only non-Chicken Dance wedding his family ever saw.
Words mean things.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
There are a lot of songs I hate.  But if I had to name one, it would be "Roses" by Outkast.

I was a counselor at a camp one year, and the kids liked that song so much they played it over and over and over and over and over etc. again.  The CD player broke in the middle of the song once, and the other counselors thought I must have broken it with the power of my mind.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
James Blunt makes me want to scream. Especially 'You're beautiful.'

I like the Weird Al version, "You're Pitiful."  :)

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »
James Blunt makes me want to scream. Especially 'You're beautiful.'

I like the Weird Al version, "You're Pitiful."  :)

Me too!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
I tend to dislike any song that's got repetitive, insipid music or lyrics.  "Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega is a good example.  So is "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls".  And sbtier, I'll join you with "Let 'Em In" from Sir Paul, and I'll raise you "Silly Love Songs".

marksgirl wrote:

"I also hate this song by I think Dan Foglerburg they always play around Christmas about a guy who mets his old gf in a grocery store and they drink beer in a parking lot and the snow turns to rain. That just screams Merry Christmas!"

It's called "Another Auld Lang Syne", and it's not supposed to be a happy song (or a Christmas song, for that matter).  It's a song about (essentially) a missed opportunity, a big "what if?" that just isn't going to be.  It gets played around the holidays because it mentions that it happens on Christmas Eve, but I always just saw that as coincidence.

Virg

Melxb

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »
The one song that absolutely grates on my nerves is "Rock Lobster" by B52s.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why that song is liked by so many people.  It makes no sense and I cannot stand the beat.

Throw in "Love Shack" also by the B52s and I'm just done.  :-\

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
I hardly ever disagree with Virg, but Mambo No 5 is just too good for dancing... I cannot dislike it now - although I hated it when it was a big hit (back when I was a cleaning lady in a hotel... 1999?)

Coralreef

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »
James Blunt is on my "not a hit" list. Also any song that is whinny.  Feels like nails on chalkboard. 

Songs with only one lyric, over and over and over...   ???

Most, if not all rap songs.  Anything that is screeched instead of sung.  High volume of decibels =/= clarity. 

I do like Weird Al with his parodies.  That man is hilarious.  I like some of Celine Dion's songs, but then I listen to them in French.  She screams way, way less in them. 

I think some of the dislike comes for overexposure.  At least it happens to me.

[/right

Verloona Ti

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2010, 12:38:19 PM »
Jesse, by Carly Simon. Even more offensive than I've Never Been to Me, by Charlene. Plus I hate Simon's voice.

Anything by Melanie. My older sister used to play her albums. :-( Worst one : Steppin', which may be marginally worse than Brand New Key.

All I wanna Do, by Sheryl Crow.

Agree on Same Old Lang Syne, by Dan Fogelbert (aka his "Christmas Song"). UGH.

Paper Roses

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
Hey you guys not liking songs with your name - at least you HAVE a dong with your name in there.

Right.  And a dong is way better than some dumb old song any day.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Ondine

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »
"Mambo Number 5" by Lou Bega
"Christmas Don't Be Late," by the Chipmunks. It was played over and over where I work.
"Blue" by Eiffel 65

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »
Anything by Melanie. My older sister used to play her albums. :-( Worst one : Steppin', which may be marginally worse than Brand New Key.

FWIW, the Dollyrots' version of "Brand New Key" is ROCKIN. And the singer is darling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQ43sFDQTM
Words mean things.