Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 35692 times)

sbtier

• Super Hero!
Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
And sbtier, I'll join you with "Let 'Em In" from Sir Paul, and I'll raise you "Silly Love Songs".
I think you win that round!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Here’s my list:

Kokomo – Beach Boys
More Than Words – Extreme
Come on Eileen – Dexies Midnight Runners
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - by Wham!
Sussudio ~~ Phil Collins

I can’t believe no one’s mentioned this one yet – You Light Up My Life  - Debbie Boone

And while I know this song is terrible, it makes me laugh – I think mainly because I read a description of it, and it clearly stated “Drugs were obviously involved” – Boris the Spider, by The Who.  No one in their right mind could have written or sung this song as it exists today.

I will also chime in with my hatred of Steely Dan; and like someone else pointed out, I don’t know WHY, but their music makes my ears hurt, and my skin crawl.  John Mayer is another one, I KNOW he’s supposed to be talented, but I cannot stand his voice.  It sounds screechy to me

Not a fan of Celine Dion, but My Heart Will Go On can send me screaming out of a room in nothing flat.  While I love The Police, Every Breath You Take – BLECH!  Ditto for James Blunt, You’re Beautiful….WHAT was he thinking?????   

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
500 Miles - The Proclaimers (I think).

Not sure why but it just irritates me no end.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2010, 12:58:36 PM »
I once met somebody who loved the song KoKoMo. While she was not a fan of the Beach Boys per se, she liked the song because John Stamos played the drums in the video and she had a crush on him/Uncle Jesse.
I have pet mice!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »
I can’t believe no one’s mentioned this one yet – You Light Up My Life  - Debbie Boone

Off topic but I love this song  ;D!

On topic: I can't stand Cindy Lauper's She-Bop
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:12:39 PM by rose red »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
I'll ditto the nomination for Melanie, especially "Brand New Key".  That made my ears bleed when it was new.

My next one is Sarah MacLaughlin's "In the Arms of an Angel."  Maybe it's how it's been used recently but I can't listen to it.

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
Hey you guys not liking songs with your name - at least you HAVE a dong with your name in there.

Right.  And a dong is way better than some dumb old song any day.

...and that's what I get trusting spell check :P

Not going to fix the original though, it's quite funny...

Emmy

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »
I have to agree on "Christmas Please Don't be Late" or any other songs sung by the Chipmunks or anybody else with a high squeaky voice.  That includes "Mmm Bop" By Hanson.  Another obnoxious holiday song is "Dominic the Donkey" because of the repetitive lyrics and especially the donkey noises.  To round out my holiday least favorites is the song that consists entirely of dogs barking "Jingle Bells".

I also dislike the squeaky and squealy voices that many of the songs in the 50's/60's era had.  Some examples would include "Big Girls Don't Cry" and "Sherry Baby".

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
POD the Christmas Shoes I hate that song. I also hate this song by I think Dan Foglerburg they always play around Christmas about a guy who mets his old gf in a grocery store and they drink beer in a parking lot and the snow turns to rain. That just screams Merry Christmas!  ::)

LOL

Same Old Lang Syne.

And its a New Years song.

Cheerful rite?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »

Agree on Same Old Lang Syne, by Dan Fogelbert (aka his "Christmas Song"). UGH.

See Virg's post above, it's not a Christmas song.   ;)  Or a New Year's song, that's just when the event takes place.

(I do agree that it's played to much at Christmas time, but I love that song.  Well, anything by Dan Folgelberg actually.  It still makes me sad to think he's gone.)
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
James Blunt makes me want to scream. Especially 'You're beautiful.'

Coldplay makes me homicidal. Too many songs to list, but really dislike them.

And I hate REM's Shiny Happy People. And I love REM, I do.

No love for Shiny Happy People?

Admittedly its very diffrent for REM... but I guess I love it because it was my mom and stepdad's wedding song.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2010, 02:16:27 PM »
I'll ditto the nomination for Melanie, especially "Brand New Key".  That made my ears bleed when it was new.

That song was big when I was about five. I love it.  :D

My next one is Sarah MacLaughlin's "In the Arms of an Angel."  Maybe it's how it's been used recently but I can't listen to it.

How is it used? A lot of people completely misunderstand that song, which is about drug addiction. No, I'm not making it up - she says so on the liner notes of one of her CDs.

Do we have a thread about best songs ever? Because thinking of bad songs is making me do the opposite and think of songs I really like.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2010, 02:20:28 PM »

That song was big when I was about five. I love it.  :D

How is it used? A lot of people completely misunderstand that song, which is about drug addiction. No, I'm not making it up - she says so on the liner notes of one of her CDs.

Do we have a thread about best songs ever? Because thinking of bad songs is making me do the opposite and think of songs I really like.

I think the Sarah McLachlan song song's being used by the ASPCA.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
I think the Sarah McLachlan's song's being used by the ASPCA.

Well, that'll kill it. I think it's a great song - even though the lyrics "In the arms of the angel/fly away from here/from this dark, cold hotel room/and the endlessness that you fear" made me think of another Angel... the vampire. (Who worked and lived in a hotel for three seasons.)

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »
Anything sung by Mariah Carey.