Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 36722 times)

chigger

Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #480 on: August 01, 2010, 07:32:53 AM »
OK, I have a new one.

You Belong with Me by Taylor Swift. Everytime I have the misfortune to hear her screeching, I have the urge to claw my ears off. I've also heard "15", and I just.don't.get.it. She sounds like my four cats are fighting with a weasel. 

Me--ee--ee. Gad.  ::)

This is the funniest thing I've heardin forever.  Spot on, too.

lovestoread

« Reply #481 on: August 01, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
Ex-Cheetah Girl Kiely Williams gives us "Spectacular", a touching tribute to binge drinking and date r@pe.

Brings a lump to your throat, doesn't it?  :P

I had no awareness of this song until now.  My flabber is ghasted, i'm genuinely shocked that a record company has put money into that!!!

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #482 on: August 01, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
"Feliz Navidad." There is no comparison. I sometimes stay home in October-December specifically to avoid having to hear it.

That's the Spaniards' parade song for Celtic Christmas weekend. All of us except Philip sing the words ... Philip takes the melody that occurs between lines and butchers it. It's funnier than I'm making it sound.  ;D
Words mean things.

Amava

« Reply #483 on: August 01, 2010, 10:03:59 AM »
"Feliz Navidad." There is no comparison. I sometimes stay home in October-December specifically to avoid having to hear it.

That's the Spaniards' parade song for Celtic Christmas weekend. All of us except Philip sing the words ... Philip takes the melody that occurs between lines and butchers it. It's funnier than I'm making it sound.  ;D

I can imagine vividly!
I love that song, hehe.  ;D

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #484 on: August 01, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »
Cue my cats, singing:

Fleas Navidad!
Fleas Navidad!
Fleas Navidad,
I have them so I scratch a lot.
Ah-ha!

Sorry, couldn't resist.  ;D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Amava

« Reply #485 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
Cue my cats, singing:

Fleas Navidad!
Fleas Navidad!
Fleas Navidad,
Ah-ha!

Is the dog barking the in-between music?  ;D

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #486 on: August 02, 2010, 02:47:45 AM »
Ex-Cheetah Girl Kiely Williams gives us "Spectacular", a touching tribute to binge drinking and date r@pe.

Brings a lump to your throat, doesn't it?  :P

I had no awareness of this song until now.  My flabber is ghasted, i'm genuinely shocked that a record company has put money into that!!!

It's not even a good song...I mean, I like some songs that have seriously questionable subject matter but this is just BAD.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #487 on: August 02, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »
Cue my cats, singing:

Fleas Navidad!
Fleas Navidad!
Fleas Navidad,
Ah-ha!

Is the dog barking the in-between music?  ;D

Freddie barks, and Tor strums the guitar. ;)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

SoCalVal

« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2010, 03:33:41 AM »
Quote from: Ceallach
I'm sure somebody will mention "I've never been to me" by Charlene, but I love that song.  I heard it was once voted the most "pointless song of all time" though.

Slightly OT, but the first time I heard that song was that specific line sung to my father and me by Charlene herself (she was telling us about her one "hit" song, which we had never heard of, so she sang that part of it to us; I was in the middle of buying a Honda scooter from her).  And, yes, it is a truly horrible song.  The first time I heard the entire thing was when I went to see The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.  I didn't realize it was THAT song until I saw the end credits.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #489 on: August 08, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
I'm sure somebody will mention "I've never been to me" by Charlene, but I love that song.  I heard it was once voted the most "pointless song of all time" though.

Slightly OT, but the first time I heard that song was that specific line sung to my father and me by Charlene herself (she was telling us about her one "hit" song, which we had never heard of, so she sang that part of it to us; I was in the middle of buying a Honda scooter from her).  And, yes, it is a truly horrible song.  The first time I heard the entire thing was when I went to see The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.  I didn't realize it was THAT song until I saw the end credits.

Ok... whaa?  The fact you bought a scooter off her is awesome.  What's the story there?   But yeah, it's a horrid song.  I love it.  It speaks to me. ;D

I have to admit I love most of the horrid songs mentioned in this thread though.   To the point that I'd NEVER heard of "Seasons in the Sun" prior to this but downloaded it because of this thread... listening to it now, and guess what? I love it. hehehe.  Ok, so it's a little repetitive and I can see getting sick of it, but it's sappy and sweet.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

SoCalVal

« Reply #490 on: August 10, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »

Ok... whaa?  The fact you bought a scooter off her is awesome.  What's the story there?   But yeah, it's a horrid song.  I love it.  It speaks to me. ;D

I have to admit I love most of the horrid songs mentioned in this thread though.   To the point that I'd NEVER heard of "Seasons in the Sun" prior to this but downloaded it because of this thread... listening to it now, and guess what? I love it. hehehe.  Ok, so it's a little repetitive and I can see getting sick of it, but it's sappy and sweet.

First, I'll admit that I also love many of the songs that are mentioned in this thread.  Charlene's song is not one of them though.

Story -- not much to tell.  I used to live in LA and was shopping for a scooter one day.  I answered her ad in Cycle Trader; she was advertising a Honda Elite for $450-500.  Since I did not have a working vehicle (moped that was not working anymore), my father took me to her home in Palmdale to check out the scooter.  My father is quite a talkative person so he was asking her what she does for a living (to me, it appeared she was a SAHM).  She said she was a singer so he asked her if she recorded anything that we would know.  She then mentioned her song, which neither of us knew, so she then sang part of it (still didn't ring a bell).  So, didn't care for the song much (once I heard a full version), but I loved my scooter.  I went everywhere I could on it (not freeway-legal so I rode everywhere I could on the side streets).

OT -- speaking of meeting celebrities but when I got old enough to work, I discovered that, living in LA, you run into celebrities everywhere (also, it seems like every 3rd person is someone trying to break into the entertainment industry).  Of course, it might've been the fact that I worked at a drug store in an area of SFV where many celebrities live so we'd see them in the area (and in the store) fairly often.  It was pretty neat, at first, but then you get a little jaded (that the sighting isn't unexpected, but it was still a little bit interesting).  My favorite encounter was helping out a guy who I thought looked like someone famous, but I couldn't quite tell.  He kept smiling at me, probably because I had that look of trying to figure out if it were him or not.  After he left, my cosmetics manager came up to me and said, "Chuck Norris is a nice guy, huh?" to which I exclaimed, "I THOUGHT that was him!" (he owned a karate studio down the street).  The most amusing encounters were with those actors whose careers were either on a downslope or didn't do enough work for anyone to recognize them (other than me, the former TV fiend).  Those actors would do the baseball-cap-worn-low bit (it was just two actors, I believe; other celebrities, not just actors, didn't try disguising themselves).

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #491 on: August 10, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
"Don't Cry Out Loud" by Melissa Manchester. Now, I think it's a candidate, BUT I love this song anyway! Yet it's so incredibly melodramatic, corny, and bombastic.

Lynnv

« Reply #492 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »
Okay-I have another addition.

Cat's in the Cradle.  I know the Cat Stevens version has been nominated.  But I would like to add the Ugly Kid Joe cover.  I will admit that I like the song despite the fact that it is incredibly sappy.  But with a metal beat it is just wrong on many, many levels. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #493 on: August 11, 2010, 01:04:53 AM »
Okay-I have another addition.

Cat's in the Cradle.  I know the Cat Stevens version has been nominated.  But I would like to add the Ugly Kid Joe cover.  I will admit that I like the song despite the fact that it is incredibly sappy.  But with a metal beat it is just wrong on many, many levels. 

Actually, it was Harry Chapin doing the original but the rest of the post is a great big pod ;).

gui

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #494 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:52 AM »
"Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks. Divorce never occured to these people?

"Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette. Makes me want to go sock my husband in the guts for no reason. That fact that Tammy also sang "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" makes me giggle.

Regarding "Fancy": Story 1. A friend of mine and I were listening to a dedication hour show on the local country station. A girl called in and dedicated that song to her mother. There is a story there.

Story 2. When I was working in the pharmacy I looked down the aisle and there was a woman there with her daughter. The woman was visibly dirty, had on a rather unfortunate pair of short-shorts, a night shirt and no shoes. Her daughter (thirteenish) had on a nice dress that fit her well but was a bit too old for her. I looked at the pharmacist and said "Well here's ye one chance Faincy don't lemme down". He nearly ruptured something laughing.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....