Author Topic: Candidates for worst song ever.  (Read 34193 times)

Lynnv

Re: Candidates for worst song ever.
« Reply #495 on: August 11, 2010, 03:45:14 AM »
Okay-I have another addition.

Cat's in the Cradle.  I know the Cat Stevens version has been nominated.  But I would like to add the Ugly Kid Joe cover.  I will admit that I like the song despite the fact that it is incredibly sappy.  But with a metal beat it is just wrong on many, many levels. 

Actually, it was Harry Chapin doing the original but the rest of the post is a great big pod ;).

gui

Oops and thanks.  I am usually not all that good about knowing who did what song...and this just proves it.  I went to a KISS concert when I was a kid.  A friend and her brother had tickets, but she wasn't allowed to go unless she found someone to go with her to keep her out of her brother's hair.  I spent the entire concert saying things like, "Oh-they did this one.  I really like this one."  And similar things.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

SoCalVal

« Reply #496 on: August 11, 2010, 04:10:24 AM »
Oh, I thought of a candidate -- "Young Girl" sung by Gary Puckett.  I never thought about it until the night he and his latest back-up band (I think they were called the Gary Puckett Band) played in the local amphitheater of the city where he grew up.  I didn't know who he was but signed up to volunteer for the event since it got me in for free (and there were some opening acts I wanted to see).  I learned he sang THAT song and stopped to think of the lyrics, which kinda squicked me out (they still do).  I'd always been under the impression he was singing about some teenager (the line about how she needs to run home to her mama who's probably wondering where she is kinda did it).

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #497 on: August 11, 2010, 05:14:01 AM »
Oh, I thought of a candidate -- "Young Girl" sung by Gary Puckett.  I never thought about it until the night he and his latest back-up band (I think they were called the Gary Puckett Band) played in the local amphitheater of the city where he grew up.  I didn't know who he was but signed up to volunteer for the event since it got me in for free (and there were some opening acts I wanted to see).  I learned he sang THAT song and stopped to think of the lyrics, which kinda squicked me out (they still do).  I'd always been under the impression he was singing about some teenager (the line about how she needs to run home to her mama who's probably wondering where she is kinda did it).

I think its Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.  :)
Stewart/Colbert '16

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #498 on: August 11, 2010, 05:28:31 AM »
"Hot Child In The City"

*eyetwitch*

So you're going to save the poor underage girl from underage prostitution by...sleeping with her. Brilliant!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #499 on: August 11, 2010, 07:00:10 AM »
"Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks. Divorce never occured to these people?

"Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette. Makes me want to go sock my husband in the guts for no reason. That fact that Tammy also sang "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" makes me giggle.

I wish I could remember the name of the film, but there was an absurd comedy where the protagonist is running from the law because of mistaken identity.  He ends up in a country-western dive whose waitress wants to become the next Tammy Wynette.  At one point she sings a song that begins "Ah threw mah weddin' ring down the toilet 'cause that's where our love went."

I didn't hear the rest because I was laughing too hard.

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #500 on: August 11, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »

Oops and thanks.  I am usually not all that good about knowing who did what song...and this just proves it.  I went to a KISS concert when I was a kid.  A friend and her brother had tickets, but she wasn't allowed to go unless she found someone to go with her to keep her out of her brother's hair.  I spent the entire concert saying things like, "Oh-they did this one.  I really like this one."  And similar things.  :>

The same thing happened to me a while ago.  A friend of mine called me and said she had been given tickets to a Bon Jovi concert that day and did I want to go with her?  Well, DUH!  Sheryl Crow and the Goo Goo Dolls were opening for them.  I knew a couple of Sheryl Crow songs that I could take or leave, and I had heard of the Goo Goo Dolls but couldn't have named one of their songs.  When they came on it was song after song of "Oh, I know this one, this is a good song!"  It was a great concert, though I thought it was weird that Sheryl Crow sang just her half of "Picture" without the male parts.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #501 on: August 11, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »

Apparently the woman alrerady tried that.

Well she finally got the nerve to file for divorce
She let the law take it from there
But Earl walked right through that restraining order
And put her in intensive care

Some folks just need killin'

deadbody

« Reply #502 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »

Apparently the woman alrerady tried that.

Well she finally got the nerve to file for divorce
She let the law take it from there
But Earl walked right through that restraining order
And put her in intensive care

Some folks just need killin'

The Me first and the Gimme Gimmes version of this is awesome.  Simply awesome.

cattlekid

« Reply #503 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
Sheryl Crow singing "Picture" by herself does seem kind of odd.  What was going on during the male half of the song?

When I saw Kid Rock headlining last summer, he sang "Picture" as a duet with one of his band members (I think it was the drummer, IIRC).  She kicked butt on all the songs she sang.

The same thing happened to me a while ago.  A friend of mine called me and said she had been given tickets to a Bon Jovi concert that day and did I want to go with her?  Well, DUH!  Sheryl Crow and the Goo Goo Dolls were opening for them.  I knew a couple of Sheryl Crow songs that I could take or leave, and I had heard of the Goo Goo Dolls but couldn't have named one of their songs.  When they came on it was song after song of "Oh, I know this one, this is a good song!"  It was a great concert, though I thought it was weird that Sheryl Crow sang just her half of "Picture" without the male parts.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #504 on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
I heard the version Kid Rock did with his drummer. Her voice and peformance were better than Sheryl Crow's...

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #505 on: August 11, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
Sheryl Crow singing "Picture" by herself does seem kind of odd.  What was going on during the male half of the song?

When I saw Kid Rock headlining last summer, he sang "Picture" as a duet with one of his band members (I think it was the drummer, IIRC).  She kicked butt on all the songs she sang.

The same thing happened to me a while ago.  A friend of mine called me and said she had been given tickets to a Bon Jovi concert that day and did I want to go with her?  Well, DUH!  Sheryl Crow and the Goo Goo Dolls were opening for them.  I knew a couple of Sheryl Crow songs that I could take or leave, and I had heard of the Goo Goo Dolls but couldn't have named one of their songs.  When they came on it was song after song of "Oh, I know this one, this is a good song!"  It was a great concert, though I thought it was weird that Sheryl Crow sang just her half of "Picture" without the male parts.

Nothing, she just sang her parts and that was it.  This was a while ago, I was pregnant with Thing 2 at the time so it was seven years ago...I can't remember if they played the music and she waited or if she just sang her parts without break.  Considering she was there with two other bands, I'm surprised she didn't get one of them to sit in on the song with her!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #506 on: November 10, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
I had to ressurect this thread to put in the Gawd awful What Does the Fox Say song.  It is everywhere and it gets stuck in my head and I want to stab myself in the ear with an ice pick1  Doesn't help my 7 yr old DD sings it all.the.time (along with anything One Direction..gahhh!)  And that stupid Robin Thicke song that everyone said is so great with the nekkid women video..it isn't even singing!  I can only make out a word or two from the garbling.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #507 on: November 10, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
My candidate is the Beatles'  'Mr. Moonlight'. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #508 on: November 10, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
I had to ressurect this thread to put in the Gawd awful What Does the Fox Say song.  It is everywhere and it gets stuck in my head and I want to stab myself in the ear with an ice pick1  Doesn't help my 7 yr old DD sings it all.the.time (along with anything One Direction..gahhh!)  And that stupid Robin Thicke song that everyone said is so great with the nekkid women video..it isn't even singing!  I can only make out a word or two from the garbling.

I've been hearing so much about the fox song and finally heard it last Saturday and I gotta say, I don't get the hype.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #509 on: November 10, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »

I've been hearing so much about the fox song and finally heard it last Saturday and I gotta say, I don't get the hype.

Three words: watch the video.  Not saying it will change any minds, since the song really is outright ridiculous, but there's something about the video that had several of us just rolling on the floor.  DD loves that song, but her taste in music is pretty unusual (at 4, whose isn't?).

There are a few songs currently getting airtime with completely vapid lyrics, but I switch off those stations so quick I can't even name them at the moment.  I find almost everything by Lady Gaga to be painful, but especially the "I live for the applause" one, whatever that's really called.