Author Topic: ER Etiquette  (Read 45571 times)

PurpleFrog

Re: ER Etiquette
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:18 AM »

Please don't tell me you have a pain score of 9 or 10 while lieing serenely and reading a magazine, I will have to note that you are showing no signs of serious pain and query drug seeking behaviour.

On the other hand, a person with major, chronic pain issues can quite legitimately be quietly reading a magazine and still have a pain level of 9 or 10.  When you're 10 or 13 years old and quite literally have never known a  pain free moment in your entire life, you learn to deal with even major pain in ways that make no sense to "normal" people.  Please believe the parent or other person accompanying the patient when they tell you this. 

This is a bit of a bad spot with me.  My youngest son suffered unimaginable pain for months because I couldn't find a doctor that would believe him.  When I finally drove him 4 hours to the nearest major city's children's ER, I finally met a doctor who did the appropriate diagnostics and figured out what the critical problem was. This is the same child that did two weeks of PT after major hip surgery, relearning how to walk, on an undiagnosed broken foot, and never complained about foot pain.  This kid is one tough cookie.  I firmly believe that his "6 or 7" on the 1-10 pain scale would probably kill us puny mortals.

We do take this into account, and past medical history will be considered, in cases with no past medical history in a&e we can't jump straight to morphine etc for someone with no medical history who appears a-symptomatic. Even gas and air is addictive, so we ha e to be cautious with undiagnosed pains.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
Having been through all I've been through with DP, I so agree with the medical history information - I can rattle it off, thankfully, and have two versions, the 'nurse doing intake' short version and the 'doctor that really needs to know' long form. If you can't rattle it off, or fear you may be unconscious, then get it down and put it somewhere it can be found. Most phones can have an ICE program added to them, which can contain medical information, contacts, etc. for emergencies. DP's entry on her phone is MASSIVE. Mine is short. Both of us have it, though.

Advocating for yourself/someone else - I had to get the medical director of the hospital involved with DP's care once. I'm actually writing a 'how to' kind of book for families of long term hospital patients because of the things I had to learn the hard way - there just aren't any resources out there for families. Dr. Google can actually be useful IF you are using it the right way - as a way to learn what the terms the doctor uses mean, to learn about the side effects of  medications (and why they may be given), and as a 'are we looking for this condition with this test?' check. You can't (or shouldn't) diagnose yourself or someone else with a Google search, but you certainly can use it to get some background and understand what's going on better.

mmswm

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »

Please don't tell me you have a pain score of 9 or 10 while lieing serenely and reading a magazine, I will have to note that you are showing no signs of serious pain and query drug seeking behaviour.

On the other hand, a person with major, chronic pain issues can quite legitimately be quietly reading a magazine and still have a pain level of 9 or 10.  When you're 10 or 13 years old and quite literally have never known a  pain free moment in your entire life, you learn to deal with even major pain in ways that make no sense to "normal" people.  Please believe the parent or other person accompanying the patient when they tell you this. 

This is a bit of a bad spot with me.  My youngest son suffered unimaginable pain for months because I couldn't find a doctor that would believe him.  When I finally drove him 4 hours to the nearest major city's children's ER, I finally met a doctor who did the appropriate diagnostics and figured out what the critical problem was. This is the same child that did two weeks of PT after major hip surgery, relearning how to walk, on an undiagnosed broken foot, and never complained about foot pain.  This kid is one tough cookie.  I firmly believe that his "6 or 7" on the 1-10 pain scale would probably kill us puny mortals.

We do take this into account, and past medical history will be considered, in cases with no past medical history in a&e we can't jump straight to morphine etc for someone with no medical history who appears a-symptomatic. Even gas and air is addictive, so we ha e to be cautious with undiagnosed pains.

Unfortunately, based on my admittedly unscientific study of "all the ER's I've ever had to deal with", you guys would be the anomaly, not the rule.  I wish all ER's were run like you've described yours. *sigh*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
I've had good and bad experiences with ERs.  We actually have a good hospital near us but in our previous county it was wretched.  DH once went to the ER for some gallstone pain. He knew it was gallstones because his usual doctor had diagnosed it.   But the jerk in the ER looked at him and said "Oh it's just from hyperventilating, it's something you kids do."  ???  DH insisted he hadn't been hyperventilating and the guy insisted he was and sent him home.   The hospital itself wasn't bad, as DH ended up having his gallbladder surgery there and it went well.

The good ER experience we had there though was when Pirateboy2 was 2 years old and had a febrile seizure.   The daycare called me to let me know that he was running a high fever and could I come get him?  I called DH, and he said "Don't worry about it, I'm home so I'll pick him up.   Well then I got a call from DH not long after telling me to meet him and Pirateboy2 at the ER because the little guy had a seizure.   My supervisor thankfully had no problem at all with me leaving right there and then. 

I was already pretty darn shaken when I got there and they were very good about blocking me from being able to see his little body shaking uncontrollably.  Whereas some kids just have one seizure then it's over, he kept having them until they were able to give him something to stop the seizing.  Then one of the nurses came out and told me they were going to do a spinal tap, and explained how it was done without being condescending.

I think DH was even more terrified than I was since I understood what a febrile seizure was, as I had one at that age too, but DH had never heard of them before, so when he put PB2 in his car seat to take him home from the daycare, and the child's eyes rolled back in his head and he started to shake, it really scared him.  Thankfully he had his cellphone in his pocket so he was able to call the day care directors for help so they came out, called 911 for him and I think one or two stayed with him until the ambulance came.   The ER staff on call were great with PB2 in helping him to stop seizing and they were a great support for us too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »
Just last weekend I was in the ER. I had horrible pain but didn't expect anything more than some pills a little stronger than OTC pain pills. Got morphine. Was waiting and had some one come in and start to quiz me in my altered state. Guy wanted what I was getting. (3 IV's) I did thank the nurse who got rid of him for me.

Please, please, stay out of other people's areas. I don't remember everything but I was scared by it all.