Author Topic: Vegetarian Main Dishes??  (Read 1789 times)

chamoisbear

• Auntie Venom is my hero!
Vegetarian Main Dishes??
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:58:15 PM »
So, my wonderful mom who never asks for anything is turning 60 and my dad and I are throwing her a party (not a surprise).  Mom and I were going over the menu and decided on baked salmon and tri-tip roast for main courses.  After I went home that night I realized that one of my father's work partners that is invited (and his girlfriend) are vegetarian.  This is based on their religion, so I am pretty sure they aren't vegan.  All of the side dishes will be meat-free, but I don't want to just stick them with side-dishes as that would be rude.  We are having a pasta salad, so I would like to serve a meatless main dish that isn't pasta-based.  I did check out the vegetarian recipes in the recipe book folder and I am considering them, but I was wondering if anyone else had any that they would just love to pass along?  I found 2 quiche recipes and an enchilada recipe on allrecipes, but I would love any suggestions that you might have.  BTW, the party is on July 7th.

Lady Vavasour

Re: Vegetarian Main Dishes??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 07:17:18 PM »
Are they Hindus? If so, they may not eat eggs.

You could try a chickpea curry. Recipes are pretty easy to find.

chamoisbear

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
They are Seventh Day Adventist.  I should know some recipes since 1/2 (at least) of the town I live in are SDA, but I am one of the few that isn't one, and most of my SDA friends will eat certain meats.

Sapphi27

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »
I'm vegan so I'll share my favorite from the blogs that I've actually made and got rave reviews at potlucks.

Kale & Toor Dal
I used red lentils, and yes you do need to use that much water or more.  To make things quicker use a bag of fresh spinach.  De-veining and chopping kale takes awhile even if I personally think that Kale usually is worth it.
I add 1 shallot, 1 carrot, and 1/2 a red pepper with the mustard and cumin seeds in the beginning.
Needs to be served hot.  Cold it becomes starchy and dry.
Serve over rice.
(If black mustard seeds are hard to find, brown or yellow mustard seeds work just fine and makes it a little less spicy.)

Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches
These are so easy to make.  They sort of taste like a savory souffle.  I made a batch, and my omni mom ate half of them before they even cooled down.  May want to make 2 batches.

Polenta Lasagna with Portabellas and Kale
This is actually very easy to make.  Looks good and is very tasty.

My Quinoa Cake adaptation from the SDA Magical Loaf Studio
If you have a bulk bin near you, you can get just the right amount without overloading to your pantry.
I have found that cooking the grains, prepping and cooking the onions & carrots, and prepping the dry items and the mashing together takes about 1 hour to do.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 TB olive oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, partly mashed (1 can = 1 1/2 cups is usually enough)
1 cup cooked quinoa  (rinse dry quinoa 3 times then cook like rice (1:2).  Need to rinse to remove the bitterness. 1/2 cup of quinoa should surfice)
1/4 to 1/2 cup veggie broth, as needed
1 heaping TB flaxseed meal
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 TB nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350║. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).  Or a muffin pan to make individual cakes/loafs.

Grind the sesame seeds into a coarse meal using a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.  (Do this with flaxseeds to make flaxseed meal.)

SautÚ any vegetables you've chosen in the olive oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice.

Baked Brown Rice adapted from Alton Brown
(This is not a full meal, but it makes things easier.  Saves room on the stove top for other cooking, and saves time for prep-ing other food.)

2 cups Brown Rice*
4 - 5 cups Mushroom Broth
2 tablespoon margarine

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the rice into a rectangular 9"-by-12" glass baking dish.
Pour in broth and add margarine.
Stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.
After 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork.

* One cup Basmati Brown Rice & one cup Wild & Wehani Rice makes a three colored rice which looks more appetizing than regular brown rice.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:53:59 PM »
All of the side dishes will be meat-free, but I don't want to just stick them with side-dishes as that would be rude. 

Why is this rude?  From another thread in this section, I gathered that as long as you have one dish for a non meat eater, then all is well.  (and from what you've said...all of the sides are meat free so your guest will have plenty to choose from)

I can understand, as a hostess, wanting to provide more than one dish but again...so long as the vegetarian guest has at least one dish to eat from, then it's okay. 

Am I getting my wires crossed here?  Some threads aren't consistent so what's the final verdict here...what does etiquette dictate? 

Lady Vavasour

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:00:41 PM »
All of the side dishes will be meat-free, but I don't want to just stick them with side-dishes as that would be rude. 

Why is this rude?  From another thread in this section, I gathered that as long as you have one dish for a non meat eater, then all is well.  (and from what you've said...all of the sides are meat free so your guest will have plenty to choose from)

I can understand, as a hostess, wanting to provide more than one dish but again...so long as the vegetarian guest has at least one dish to eat from, then it's okay. 

Am I getting my wires crossed here?  Some threads aren't consistent so what's the final verdict here...what does etiquette dictate? 

I would say it depends on what the side dishes are. Usually they don't have much protein in them, and a meal without protein isn't much of a meal.

jordan

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »

Well, it's not always black and white, but I'm with the OP. I think etiquette at least suggests having more than one dish a guest can eat, if possible. It's about doing more than the bare minimum. (And as in the other thread, I cannot imagine having one one non-meat dish at a nice dinner!)

chamoisbear

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 01:50:59 AM »
Thanks for all the recipes Sapphie!  You're awesome. 

As for the main dish/side dish argument, I just want to be able to offer more than salads and cake (I do plan on making a 3-tiered cake, but that is mostly because I want to practice with rolled buttercream) ;)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »
I have a vegetarian main dish that always goes over well.  With a few modifications it can also work for vegans.

PLOWMAN'S SHARE

2 or 3 large baking potatoes cooked and sliced in half lengthwise.
1 10 oz package frozen broccoli florets cooked per package directions
1 10 oz package frozen cauliflower cooked per package directions
1 large onion thinly sliced.
1 large green bell pepper cored and thinly sliced.
1 small can mushroom stems and pieces with liquid
2 C grated cheddar cheese.
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
Italian seasoning
margerine

In a 9 inch square baking dish arrange the potatoes cut side up.
Lightly apply marg.
Spoon drained broccolii and cauliflower over potatoes and push down to fill spaces.

In a medium skillet, saute onion and pepper until translucent. 
Add mushrooms and stir.
Scoop out vegetables and add to baking dish.
Season pan liquid with soy, worcestershire and Italian seasoning.
Cook until liquid is slightly reduced.
Pour over contents of baking dish.
Top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.

A vegan in-law tells me this is good even without the cheese and the Worcestershire.  Of course, fresh vegetables can be substituted for frozen.  Carrots are also nice in this.   

Sibby

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:58:13 AM »
To cook this for a crowd you will need a HUGE pan (like a paella pan or something) - this recipe is for 4 servings.  It's one of my favorites and really easy.  Meat can actually be added, but it starts as a vegetarian dish.  A can of drained, rinsed white beans can also be added if desired.

1 bunch Swiss chard (red or green), roughly chopped
1 can or jar of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup wine (red, white, whatever, broth can also be used)
sprinkle crush red pepper
1 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/2 red onion, diced
olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in large pan.  Add onion cook about 2 minutes till soft.  Add chard.  Cook about 3 or 4 minutes until chard has wilted quite a bit (to about half size!).  Add remaining ingredients, stir.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cook for about 6 more minutes until liquid has reduced by half, stirring occasionally.

Can be served with fresh grated parmaggino-reggiano cheese & crusty bread or rice.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »
I have a vegetarian main dish that always goes over well.  With a few modifications it can also work for vegans.

PLOWMAN'S SHARE

2 or 3 large baking potatoes cooked and sliced in half lengthwise.
1 10 oz package frozen broccoli florets cooked per package directions
1 10 oz package frozen cauliflower cooked per package directions
1 large onion thinly sliced.
1 large green bell pepper cored and thinly sliced.
1 small can mushroom stems and pieces with liquid
2 C grated cheddar cheese.
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
Italian seasoning
margerine

Sounds tasty but worcestershire sauce contains anchovies and therefore isn't vegetarian.  I have heard that you can get vegie worcestershire sauce but I have never seen it in a store.  Depending on how strict the vegetarians are, the cheese also should be checked for animal rennet.  Also if the OP does make this for a vegan they should check the ingredients of the margerine as they sometimes contain animal products.

Thipu, I think I may try a version of this for myself and omnivorous boyfriend.  It sounds good!

Sapphi27

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »

I get the fact that the host sets the menu and guests are to accept it or not, but sides are not a full meal and are not intended to be a full meal if they are sides.  Sides are to complement the main dish.  If all I'm stuck with is a green salad and everyone else is eating large plates of different hot foods, I get disappointed.  Beyond the "I made a choice" and "I shouldn't expect hosts to cater to me," if people enjoy my company enough to invite me over for dinner OR as in the OPs case want to do something special for Bosses/work partners, limited sides can be perceived as insulting.

However, despite my lengthy rebuttal, I don't think this thread is the proper place to debate this topic.  The OP is looking for recipes not debate.

Sapphi27

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 12:33:09 PM »
Sounds tasty but worcestershire sauce contains anchovies and therefore isn't vegetarian.  I have heard that you can get vegie worcestershire sauce but I have never seen it in a store.  Depending on how strict the vegetarians are, the cheese also should be checked for animal rennet.  Also if the OP does make this for a vegan they should check the ingredients of the margerine as they sometimes contain animal products.

Worcestershire Sauce indeed is not vegetarian.  You can make your own veggie worcestershire sauce, but I have seen bottled veggie worcesterhire sauce at Whole Foods/Wild Oats and other health food stores.  I am aware that not everone has such stores near them but many of the veggie on-line stores do carry it.

Depending on how strict the vegetarians are, the cheese also should be checked for animal rennet.

This is true.  Non-vegan vegetarians may still not eat most cheeses because of this.  There are plenty of vegetarian cheese available now at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc.

[/gets off soap box]

Sapphi27

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 12:36:17 PM »
One more blog recipe, because it is so easy:

Vegetable Love: B'couscous I Love You

Couscous is so easy because it's a very small pasta that looks like a grain.  It cooks very very fast.  You can put it in boiling water and turn off the heat and in five minutes it's cooked.  I use whole-wheat couscous but either are good.

Siduri

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 05:58:35 PM »
I looooove me some Tortillas Espanolas.  Here's a decent recipe: http://zeuscat.com/andrew/personal/food/recipes/tortilla.shtml.  You can look for leaner recipes if you like; one method is to boil the potatoes in water just enough to soften them, then to cook them in oil so that they get a bit of the flavor but aren't full of oil.

Also, there's always pizza.  Or you can fold the crust over and make a calzone.