Author Topic: Setting the (regular dinner) table...  (Read 5172 times)

TamJamB

Re: Setting the (regular dinner) table...
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 11:42:56 PM »
Well, it's just a fact that, from an etiquette perspective, grownups shouldn't be eating corn or mashed potatoes with spoons.  Jello could be eaten with a spoon, I suppose, since it's a dessert-type thing.  To me, it seemed a little amusing that the OP was asking specifically about the etiquette of setting the table, while admitting to the etiquette violation of eating vegetables and potatoes with a spoon.  But at a family meal you can certainly do as you please, of course.

I was raised to set the table with a knife, fork and spoon.  Once I grew up and started my own family I came under the influence of Miss Manners and, for 22 years now, I've set my table with just what we need to eat what I'm serving.  Usually this is a fork and knife.  My mom still sets her table with a knife, fork and spoon, though.

Moogle

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 03:49:07 AM »
In my house, we only set a spoon and a fork.  The knives only come out when we have steaks.

In the Philippines, we eat using a spoon and a fork.  And with certain foods, the utensils are dropped in favor for eating with our hands.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 05:40:55 AM »
Well, it's just a fact that, from an etiquette perspective, grownups shouldn't be eating corn or mashed potatoes with spoons.  Jello could be eaten with a spoon, I suppose, since it's a dessert-type thing.  To me, it seemed a little amusing that the OP was asking specifically about the etiquette of setting the table, while admitting to the etiquette violation of eating vegetables and potatoes with a spoon.  But at a family meal you can certainly do as you please, of course.

I didn't know that!  I like to use a spoon with corn, because it contains the kernels nicely.  With a fork, they escape  ;D.

My father used to say:

"I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny,
but it keeps them on the knife!"

gui

TamJamB

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 06:10:11 AM »
::laughs:: I think I'd like your father!

My first husband always ate half his dinner with his spoon.  He had terrible table manners anyway -- ate with his mouth open, hunched over his plate, blew his nose frequently and loudly into his table napkin... Really, using his spoon to eat his peas was the least of his problem.

Myself, if I were eating with you and your table manners were otherwise good, I might not even notice your eating veggies with your spoon.  I'm not super-observant, and I try not to scrutinize my fellow diners as they eat.  But it really isn't right, and any book on table manners would tell you so. 

That said, I use my knife to 'push' roll-ey food such as peas and corn onto my fork.  This isn't 'right' either, in the strictest sense, because the use of the knife as a pusher is a European custom, apparently, and, otherwise, I use American table manners.  So there you go!

Lynn

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 06:35:40 AM »
obviously at your family table you can eat with your hands or eat with a spoon or whatever -- but eating things other than soup or other clearly 'spoon' foods with a spoon is considered gauche -- something only a child would do -- there is no place for a spoon in a normal dinner setting except for a soup spoon (but if grandpa likes to eat his corn and potatoes with a spoon -- well what the heck)

When I serve applesauce or rhurbarb, I include a spoon in the place settings and consider this to be a normal dinner.

jamiescudder

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 04:19:20 AM »
Our dinner table is always set with fork, knife and spoon. It drives my DH crazy when I put utensils on that he feels aren't necessary. The only problem with that is that he and I have different ideas of what is necessary. It's amazing how often I use utensils that he thought were unnecessary.

After reading this I have a question. Which is the worse faux pas: setting the table with too many utensils, or not having what your guests need available? I could see the second scenario happening quite a bit. I've noticed such a variety in how people eat that it could actually be difficult to tell what a person needs.

My other thought on this subject comes from eating with DH's best friend. He has a medical condition that causes his hands to shake. Because of the shaking using a fork is dangerous, so he always uses a spoon. If you've never eaten with him before, or never noticed this then you could create an embarrassing situation in which he has to point out his medical issues. I've been around him enough to know that it truly is a safety issue.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 08:11:55 AM »
After reading this I have a question. Which is the worse faux pas: setting the table with too many utensils, or not having what your guests need available? I could see the second scenario happening quite a bit. I've noticed such a variety in how people eat that it could actually be difficult to tell what a person needs.

I don't think a knife, fork & spoon are 'too many', it's not like you're putting out cocktail forks and jelly spoons  :D

42_42_42

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 10:14:40 PM »
LOL we don't even eat at our table unless we have company! We eat dinner on TV trays or infront of our computers (I know, bad, but we don't have kids yet...).  ;D

When we do have company, it's always casual, so I just put out what ever is needed for the meal.

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »
We tend to use fork, knife and spoon most of the year and I usually have a tablecloth on the table.

Though during the summer, we are more casual, we use mainly fork and spoon or fork and knife depending on what we are having except for Sunday when the table will have fork, spoon and knife unless more is needed.

When it come to holidays or when we are entertaining I use as much of my silverware as needed with is usually more than day in and day out.

When we are camping we use as little silverware as we can get away with and not be rude.