News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:46:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why did you make the burgers so small? *vent*  (Read 9511 times)

BittyB

Why did you make the burgers so small? *vent*
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »
We hosted a bbq today - handmade burgers, storebought sausage-type hot dogs and regular hot-dogs.  Good cheese, buns, lots of condiments, sides, drinks, etc.  We didn't go "all out" but I felt we did a good job, and I made all those dingdangity hamburgers by hand and added stuff to the meat to make them better.  Nobody has ever complained about the *taste* of my hamburgers - they tend to go over *very* well.

Today, however, everyone had a problem with the size.  Look, if the hamburger is too small, please keep it to yourself and just eat two!  I was really offended that everyone felt the need to harp on my burgers.  I know it's silly, but I make a lot of effort with the burgers, and I try to make them really good.  I didn't get the pre-made patties from the store because I don't think they taste as good.  I'm sure I'm being oversensitive, but still... 

When you go to a bbq at someone's house, don't complain that the burgers aren't the right shape.  :'(

Maybe it was just more of a pain because I felt like there was constant minor harping.  Like how three different people felt the need to complain about my weeds out front.  We are making an effort with the house, we bought it several months ago in terrible condition, and I'm sorry - I can't afford to fix *everything* all at once, and I'm a little busy too!  The weeds are gonna have to wait.

Although, at this point I think I would have been better off not having a bbq and spending the day pulling weeds.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Why did you make the burgers so small? *vent*
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 10:33:43 PM »
"No good deed goes unpunished."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Fabrashamx

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 11:27:19 PM »
Bitty, It sounds to me like these arent very good 'friends'! My goodness, you were kind enough to invite them over and feed them, and they repay you by insulting you? I don't think you are overreacting at all, I would have been in tears. I know my MIL has made rude comments about the weeds in my yard, some of which I thought were pretty and was watering, she laughed at me and PULLED THEM UP BY THE ROOTS! Grrrr!
 I have found that now that I am older, I avoid people who are rude and hurtful, and save my efforts for my REAL friends.

Yours, Fabby  :)

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »
"Duh.  They're sliders.  They're supposed to be small."

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:13:39 AM »
My mother had this problem once with a guest who complained about how she was decorating  her Christmas cookies.  She handed him the cookies and icing.  He took the hint and decided to stop criticizing her.

In this case, I would have pointed them to a restaurant down the street.  Since they cannot appreciate the nice free meal, perhaps they would perfer to   visit a restaurant.  Many restaurants serve large portions.

sparksals

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:58:44 AM »
I think your guests were rude for commenting about the size of your burgers.   No one should ever criticize a hostess especially when she's feeding them.

May I ask why you made the burgers small? Were they alot smaller than the bun?  Quite honestly, it's difficult to eat a burger that is more bun than burger.  If the meat fit in the bun, then no big deal, but if the bun was swimming over a burger, maybe you might want to flatten your burgers more when preparing them?

Also, fat content of the ground beef makes a big difference in shrinkage.  The higher the fat content, the higher the shrinkage.  The lower, the lower the shrinkage, but the drier the burger.

twinkletoes

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:42:53 AM »
Yeah, I gotta ask - how big were those burgers?  It doesn't excuse the rude comments, but I'm also wondering if they were really, really small, but the buns were huuuge.  There's nothing I hate more than a small burger in a big bun.  Then again, I'd also keep my comments to myself.

I still think these people were rude.  Who on earth goes to someone's house, has the nerve to eat the food provided, and then criticize the food and the landscaping?!?  Honestly, I don't think I'd ever invite those people over again.  This sounds anti-social to the Nth degree, but I'd rather sit alone and eat a good meal than invite a ton of people over and be criticized the entire time.

If it ever happens again, Evil Twinkletoes suggests criticizing them. "Oh, you don't like the weeds out front? Well, I hate what you're wearing!" or "Don't like the size of the burgers?  Well, I think a small size is MORE than enough for you!"

BittyB

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:59:53 AM »
The burgers I prepped the night before, and the problem was that I had to squish them a little to get them to all fit in the container.  So DF was grilling them outside and when he pulls out a somewhat rounded burger didnt' even think to flatten it!  If they had been cooked flattened they would have fit the buns.  I know because when I made them I was being concious of the bun size.  So they were sort of like little burger balls instead of patties. :(

cicero

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 10:15:13 AM »
oh dear me. what rude people.

what's the difference - you invited people over, fed them homemade delicious food, who CARES how big they are???

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sparksals

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »
Sounds like DF needs some grilling lessons!

A good tip is to lay either plastic wrap or wax paper on a metal cookie sheet.  You can put the burgers on that flattened and even stack them with either plastic or wax btwn.  Then you won't have to worry about DF not flattening them on the grill.

BittyB

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 12:02:32 PM »

A good tip is to lay either plastic wrap or wax paper on a metal cookie sheet.  You can put the burgers on that flattened and even stack them with either plastic or wax btwn.  Then you won't have to worry about DF not flattening them on the grill.

Yeah, I had wax paper between the layers but I thought using the container would keep them fresher since I made them the night before.  Now I know to be a little more creative - I probably should have taken my big casserole dish so there was more room to store them flat and just used shrink wrap on top (I used the container because it was the biggest thing I had with a lid).

And yes, DF is still learning how to grill.  My mom has been teaching him so far.  ;D  I don't think she noticed he was cooking burger balls though.   :P

After seeing what he did I can tell my planning didn't work out so well (I'm not blind!), it just bothered me so much that everyone felt it was okay to make a big deal out of it (along with everything else!  It was like a billion little tiny things all afternoon...).

sparksals

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »

Yeah, I had wax paper between the layers but I thought using the container would keep them fresher since I made them the night before.  Now I know to be a little more creative - I probably should have taken my big casserole dish so there was more room to store them flat and just used shrink wrap on top (I used the container because it was the biggest thing I had with a lid).

And yes, DF is still learning how to grill.  My mom has been teaching him so far.  ;D  I don't think she noticed he was cooking burger balls though.   :P

After seeing what he did I can tell my planning didn't work out so well (I'm not blind!), it just bothered me so much that everyone felt it was okay to make a big deal out of it (along with everything else!  It was like a billion little tiny things all afternoon...).

I agree.  It was really unkind and rude for people to make comments about the burgers.

Sibby

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:14:57 PM »
my goodness!  I went to a BBQ yesterday and I could not have told you if there were weeds in the yard or a single critisiszm of the food - not that everything was perfect, it's just that when I go out to have fun & be with friends I make a point to see the good stuff around me, not the negative.  I want to think happy, fabulous thoughts about my friends!  What ungrateful snobs you must know!

POF

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »
Yeah, I gotta ask - how big were those burgers?  It doesn't excuse the rude comments, but I'm also wondering if they were really, really small, but the buns were huuuge.  There's nothing I hate more than a small burger in a big bun.  Then again, I'd also keep my comments to myself.

I still think these people were rude.  Who on earth goes to someone's house, has the nerve to eat the food provided, and then criticize the food and the landscaping?!?  Honestly, I don't think I'd ever invite those people over again.  This sounds anti-social to the Nth degree, but I'd rather sit alone and eat a good meal than invite a ton of people over and be criticized the entire time.

If it ever happens again, Evil Twinkletoes suggests criticizing them. "Oh, you don't like the weeds out front? Well, I hate what you're wearing!" or "Don't like the size of the burgers?  Well, I think a small size is MORE than enough for you!"

HMMM - maybe you should stop inviting my inlaws over .....  ;D

kingsrings

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »
If I went to a BBQ at someone's house and they made burgers with hand-made patties, I would just be so grateful for that that I wouldn't dream of complaining!! It seems like everyone today uses those frozen, pre-formed bag o' burger patties, and they're so dry and tasteless.