Author Topic: Help with Gift Bags for 50th Birthday Cruise  (Read 1957 times)

TaylorMade

Help with Gift Bags for 50th Birthday Cruise
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:51:12 PM »
Hello,

My husband is turning 50 next month.  To celebrate we sent out invitations letting our friends and family know we were taking a 3 night (Friday - Monday) Baja cruise and welcomed them to join us in the celebration.

We set this up through a travel agent, and received discounts on the room for a group rate.  30 people (15 cabins) reserved through the agent and we are all set to go next month.

Now I would like to do something for all the people that will be joining us.  I was thinking about doing a gift bag for each guest and I would also like to do some type of personalized 50th thing (playing cards with a photo of DH on each one, Towel, T-shirts, etc... Haven't decided which way to go but I know I need to do it quick!)

Within cost boundaries what things would you suggest I put in the gift bags for each guest. 

I will have to carry these with me to the ship (ughhh.. and am not even sure how I am going to be able to pass these all out!)

All but 3 of the cabins are 'Couples'.  (the other 3 are friends traveling together)

Should I do a gift bag for each guest, or each cabin?

I would love to hear from people who did something like this for a cruise.

Ideas I've come up with:
Sunscreen Lotion

:)  Nice long list, don't you thing :)

Sibby

Re: Help with Gift Bags for 50th Birthday Cruise
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »
Flip flops (you can usually find them cheap, like $1 a pair)
nail file (people always forget to pack one!)
Beach safe (one of those plastic containers that hangs around your neck & is water tight, again usually less than $2)
Beach/pool inflatables (last week Toys R Us had [adult size) mats & tubes for $2.99 & $1.99 respectively) (one per couple is fine with these for sure!)
a magazine or paperback book (cheap & trashy reading material can be fun on vacation!)

jibby

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »
Sibby's suggestions are perfect!  The only thing I would add is maybe disposable cameras.  If I recall correctly, when we bought these for the tables at our wedding (9 years ago) they were around $4.00 each.  If people turn those back in when they depart, you can do an online album (like Shutterbug?) and send the link to all attendees.

twinkletoes

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:31:37 PM »
I like the ideas posted.

I just want to add that if I were a guest, the last thing I'd want is something rather large and/or cumbersome that I'd feel obligated to bring home.  So, if it's small and/or consumeable, it should be good to go.

TaylorMade

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
Good Point TwinkleToes!!

We are all local, and will be all driving to the port.  So no one will have to carry anything excessive.

I am thinking about buying inexpensive tote-bags for each person.

I found a great website that sells travel-size stuff for good prices:

Here is what I have so far:

These are all travel size items
Snap! Sunscreen SPF 30 (2 for each person)
Generic Nail Clipper
Wisdom Floss Travel Size
Clear eyes® Handy Pocket Pal®
Alka Seltzer® Morning Relief (2-pack)
Zantac® 75
Dramamine® Chewable Formula
Vaseline® Lip Therapy Tube - Advanced Formula
Trojan® Very Sensitive Lubricated Condom  (only for our single friends :)  don't worry they won't be offended.. they will be amused)
Wrigley's Doublemint® Chewing Gum

I will then pick up some Nail Files and disposable cameras....

I am also going to make up the following:
List of names and cabin#'s of all the guests in our group
Folding print-out map of all the decks on the ship

Other suggestions/ideas appreciated!

platys

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »
A bottle of water might be really appreciated, especially for that early morning/late night thirsties when you haven't had a chance to buy your own bottle of water yet.

Sibby

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 05:44:53 PM »
A bottle of water might be really appreciated, especially for that early morning/late night thirsties when you haven't had a chance to buy your own bottle of water yet.

Most cruise ships will not allow you to bring water (or any other beverages) on board.

illini

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »

Most cruise ships will not allow you to bring water (or any other beverages) on board.
Most people I know bring their own alcohol on board cruises.  Does this mean they are sneaking it on?  It's entirely possible, though I never asked them since I didn't know you aren't allowed to bring liquids on.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 10:51:35 PM »
Not really your standard gift-bag fare, but perhaps some sunscreen, aloe vera gel and tylenol/advil?  Very cheap/simple but easily forgettable........

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 11:58:10 PM »
The little individual Kleenex packs.  So many people always end up using mine when I go places.  And perhaps some Shout Wipes (for stains on clothing) since I'm guessing people will be wearing lots of light fun colors.

TaylorMade

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 03:30:03 AM »
Great ideas everyone...  I just added the individual kleenex packs to my list!

On RCI you are not supposed to bring any alcohol on-board due to some liability issues they had a while back (from what i have heard is some people got really drunk and fell off the ship)

Of course, I believe almost everyone in our group is going to attempt to bring some aboard in their luggage :)

Sibby

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »

Most people I know bring their own alcohol on board cruises.  Does this mean they are sneaking it on?  It's entirely possible, though I never asked them since I didn't know you aren't allowed to bring liquids on.

Great ideas everyone...  I just added the individual kleenex packs to my list!

On RCI you are not supposed to bring any alcohol on-board due to some liability issues they had a while back (from what i have heard is some people got really drunk and fell off the ship)

Of course, I believe almost everyone in our group is going to attempt to bring some aboard in their luggage :)

Yup people are sneaking it on, it is against the rules.  And FYI they x-ray bags & if they see bottles in t he bags they search them (you don't carry your own luggage aboard) & confiscate the alcohol and you have to go pick up your bag yourself from a special room used for this purpose.  If you plan to sneak alcohol aboard, camoflage it.

And it's not just liability - it's $$$$!  Alcohol is not included in the "all-inclusive" bit, only water, tea & coffee.  Soft drinks, juice & alcohol all cost additional money, so the cruise ships are certainly not about to let you bring aboard your own & not buy from them!