Author Topic: Convention etiquette...  (Read 2258 times)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Convention etiquette...
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »
This last weekend my city was overrun with cheerleaders & dancers - of the teen/pre-teen variety.  I also grew up in KC so I'm quite familiar with the FFA convention (one of the best large group etiquette situations I've run across too -they're usually quite nice and polite), etc....  I came up with a few etiquette rules for those times when you might be the member of a large convention (as it seems that the larger the group, the more "power" they weild on the rest of us)...

Convention attendees:
1.  Just because there are a lot of people in your group, doesn't mean you have the right of way.  When exiting & entering buildings, using sidewalks, etc. stay to the right so that people walking in the opposite direction are also able to use the space.

2.  Do not stop and gather in the middle of the sidewalk.  Move to the side so that others have room to go around you.

3.  Keep your activities at the convention and not in general public (i.e. cheers in stores, yelling in stores, football in stores, etc. is not appropriate).

The rest of us:
1. For those not with the convention, just because they're a large group, doesn't mean they're not individuals.  Do not hold the group responsible for the actions of the single/few.

2.  You may have to wait a bit long in line, but they're in line too and have just as much right to be waited on in order.  Do not try to cut to the front because you see their group as 1 order so you try to skip.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
Re: Convention etiquette...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
For chaparones, teachers or parents:

*It would be nice to review Basic Manners (i.e. saying please and thank you, cleaning up after yourself at McDonalds and picking up your stuff off the floor if you are staying in a hotel)

*Yes, the hotel has a pool and it closes at 10pm. Please obey the rules or you WILL be asked to leave and we WILL remember your group and not allow you back.

*This is a hotel. Please remember that we do have other guests here besides your group.

*Please be mindful of schedules and check in/check out times.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »
If you are responsible for chaperoning a group, please ACTIVELY chaperone them.  Make sure they stay together and do not annoy other guests/groups.

I was once nearly run over by a group of Brazilian school children at DisneyWorld because their chaperones decided to leave them to watch the fireworks while they went inside a shop to get ice cream for themselves.  It was not pretty.  >:(

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
If you attend a reception at a conference or convention, you may want to take a look around the room to see who is there. You may want to refrain slamming anyone's work because he or she might be standing right behind you. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:21:51 AM »
I'm including large groups of students on a class trip somewhere:

*If you have to meet the bus at 1:00, be at the meeting place by 12:40.  Don't be wandering around and make someone look for you.  Of course, when you are early, the bus won't show up until 1:40  ::).

*If you're in a large room receiving instructions on the next day's activities/timetable, receiving room assignments, or anything else, stay with the group and pay attention!  It will make things go much faster.

*Don't thunder through the halls of the hotel.  You are not the only guests there.

*Don't leave a big mess anywhere-the room, the breakfast area, the pool.

*If you stop for dinner on the road somewhere, eat your food and go back to the bus.  Don't wander around, and keep track of time.  Be considerate of others.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:08:18 AM »
Having spent the last two days as a vendor let me say...

Do not, DO NOT stand in one person's booth while you look at the merchandise in the other booth.  My booth is for MY customers, if you are their customer, go to THEIR booth.

DO NOT block my booth to take a picture.  Step to the side.

DO NOT come into my booth to take a picture, step.to.the.side.

Deep breath.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.