Author Topic: Not sure if the phrase would have fit, but...  (Read 3617 times)

Lillie82

Not sure if the phrase would have fit, but...
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »
...it did seem like the kind of assumption we're talking about here.

I have check-ups at a medical facility which, if you looked it up in the phone book, or saw a brochure about it, would be described as pediatric. They follow me for a problem I've had since birth, since there really aren't many doctors who treat this problem just in adults (at least, not everywhere, not yet.)

Well, during one of my appointments during one of the years I was in my graduate program, a hospital social worker came to introduce herself and asked me, "What grade are you in?" I set her straight, straight-forwardly.

The main doctor who sees me has assured me I'm not even his oldest patient. I wasn't so much mad at her, but upset at the idea that I seemed so much younger (part of the reason has to do with some of the effects of the medical problem itself.)

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
Re: Not sure if the phrase would have fit, but...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:18:54 AM »
One think I don't like about this "WAIA" trend on EHell is that people act like one should never make an assumption.  I'm sorry, but that's just not possible.  We all make assumptions, all the time.  It only becomes a problem when people make assumptions with no basis or are unwilling to accept that they made a false assumption. 

In your case, you look young and are receiving treatment for a primarily pediatric disease.  I don't think the social worker was wrong for making a very reasonable assumption.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

MaggieB

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:53:43 AM »
I totally agree with Hot Shaker.  I really doubt that her question had anything to do with you seeming young.  She works in a pediatric clinic, and she probably starts every appointment with a new client that way.

I think it was perfectly appropriate to clarify that you were in grad school as long as you did it politely.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
I have to agree with the previous posters. We all make assumptions all the time. The social worker made a perfectly reasonable assumption under the circumstances. Yes she made a mistake. So she thought you were younger, I don't understand why it's something to get upset over. If someone assumes I'm younger or older than I am I just tell them my age and let it go.

Ed.

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »
She may have been in the "I have a checklist so I don't have to think mode". 

We had a lot of problems with PT assessments with my mom in the hospital.  We would explain my mom had Alzheimer's and speech aphasia and couldn't answer their questions.  They would say okay, and turn to my mom and start asking her questions, the one guy was a student and he just had to ask my mom these questions, because he had to fill out the form, even though she couldn't answer them.

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
She may have been in the "I have a checklist so I don't have to think mode". 

We had a lot of problems with PT assessments with my mom in the hospital.  We would explain my mom had Alzheimer's and speech aphasia and couldn't answer their questions.  They would say okay, and turn to my mom and start asking her questions, the one guy was a student and he just had to ask my mom these questions, because he had to fill out the form, even though she couldn't answer them.

Oh goodness gracious, yes--although sometimes you can blame an overly-litigious society for that.  It's so hard to know nowadays what's going to get you sued, especially since courts and common sense went their separate ways many moons ago.
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »

Well, during one of my appointments during one of the years I was in my graduate program, a hospital social worker came to introduce herself and asked me, "What grade are you in?" I set her straight, straight-forwardly.

Let's see...graduate school...that would be like 17th grade, right?