Author Topic: From the Blog: Haka Lacken?  (Read 9136 times)

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
Re: From the Blog: Haka Lacken?
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
And Twik is talking about 200 graduates.  In my graduation with my undergraduate degree, it was more like 3,000 graduates.  If it had to be constantly stopped so anyone could do anything it would have been too long.  It was hours long as it was.

Time wise, I understand many cultures feel Westerners move too fast.  But I still think they are rude if they can't adjust for a Western event--even if you feel that arrival times should be fluid, it's rude to show up for my shower 2 hours late.
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »
Because it only makes sense to say university graduations are not part of Maori culture if you think that it stopped evolving once New Zealand was colonised by Europe in the nineteenth-century. They are part of Maori culture, and important to Maori, just as they are part of New Zealand culture in general.

But if you look at the graduation as being a rite of passage then wouldn't the Maoris have some sort of celebration for that?

No, I look at graduations as celebrating graduation from university. (??)

A 'rite of passage' is a general category, describing any number of events.  Confirmation or Bar/Bat Mitzvah; reaching the age of majority; marriage; graduation; the birth of a child -- these are all rites of passage. Rites that most cultures celebrate in some way or another.  I'm not sure why you make a distinction.  Are you saying that a graduation isn't a rite of passage?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »
Because it only makes sense to say university graduations are not part of Maori culture if you think that it stopped evolving once New Zealand was colonised by Europe in the nineteenth-century. They are part of Maori culture, and important to Maori, just as they are part of New Zealand culture in general.

But if you look at the graduation as being a rite of passage then wouldn't the Maoris have some sort of celebration for that?

No, I look at graduations as celebrating graduation from university. (??)

A 'rite of passage' is a general category, describing any number of events.  Confirmation or Bar/Bat Mitzvah; reaching the age of majority; marriage; graduation; the birth of a child -- these are all rites of passage. Rites that most cultures celebrate in some way or another.  I'm not sure why you make a distinction.  Are you saying that a graduation isn't a rite of passage?

I can't speak for Lady Vavasour but I don't see it as one - I also wouldn't class marriage or birth as one either, pretty much for the same reason; they're not important to everyone, or even an expected part of life. To me a rite of passage celebrates a movement from one stage to another, and is pretty much universal.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 01:10:38 AM »
What stages in life are universal and have standard celebrations? The most "universal" ones I can think of don't have specific celebrations in our culture.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 03:04:25 AM »
What stages in life are universal and have standard celebrations? The most "universal" ones I can think of don't have specific celebrations in our culture.

I agree, they don't. I never said I felt rites of passage were celebrated in western culture; just that I didn't feel graduation was one of them.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
Nevermind "rights of passage", I'm not even sure what is sure what is even meant by "our culture".  Having lived in a number of places just in the US, I would say there is tremendous diversity in western culture even from region to region in the US, nevermind outside of the US.

Maybe that's what you mean though?  Celebrations for any occassion might have some commonality, but really aren't all that standard.

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
Nevermind "rights of passage", I'm not even sure what is sure what is even meant by "our culture".  Having lived in a number of places just in the US, I would say there is tremendous diversity in western culture even from region to region in the US, nevermind outside of the US.

Maybe that's what you mean though?  Celebrations for any occassion might have some commonality, but really aren't all that standard.

And therein lies a dilemma.  Is there a thread to discuss celebrations and occasions anywhere hereabouts?  (I recognize that there are for "Holidays" and "Weddings", but is there one for other kinds?)
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

artk2002

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:20 AM »
I can't speak for Lady Vavasour but I don't see it as one - I also wouldn't class marriage or birth as one either, pretty much for the same reason; they're not important to everyone, or even an expected part of life. To me a rite of passage celebrates a movement from one stage to another, and is pretty much universal.

And the transition from "student" to "productive member of society" isn't a major transition?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »

And the transition from "student" to "productive member of society" isn't a major transition?

Well, I'd like to think I was already a productive member of society.  :)  I paid taxes, as did my fellow students.  Most of us had part-time jobs.  What is the requirements for being deemed "productive"?

Although, I do agree that graduation from Uni is a major event.

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »

Personally I believe that productive members of society don't become so simply through education (speaking as a post grad myself).

I don't think graduation is a major event. It's something someone may chose to do, but it is just a phase... I wouldn't have a celebration with every work promotion, for example.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »

Personally I believe that productive members of society don't become so simply through education (speaking as a post grad myself).

I don't think graduation is a major event. It's something someone may chose to do, but it is just a phase... I wouldn't have a celebration with every work promotion, for example.

Sorry... I used "productive member..." as a form of short-hand. I was stuck for an appropriate phrase.  The point being that graduating is a transition from "student" to "not student" and is, for most of us, a very significant transition.  One worth celebrating.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
I think birth is a pretty big move from one stage to another! And definitely an expected part of life.
:)

MegSong22

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
People used Air Horns at mine, I founbd that rude, particularly since on of them was a fellow graduate who blew it for all his friends, and was sitting directly behind me. The dance sounds AWESOME!