Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 57646 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Mattress Firm.  DH and I live about 5 minutes from a Mattress Firm store, so when we decided to replace our mattress, we went there first.  Mark, the salesperson, not only steered us to what we wanted without pushing a higher-priced thing on us, he made sure we were on budget even after taxes and delivery. 

So, a few months go by and it's time to replace DD's mattress.  We went back to talk to Mark.  He was very affable with DD, making her laugh, and he remembered me.  He sold us a mattress again on budget including the taxes.  This was only a twin-size mattress, so I told him that DH would be there this weekend (he's out of town now) to pick it up in his truck.  When Mark found out how close we were, he put the mattress in his truck and drove it over to our house after work, in the rain to boot. 

DD says that when she's ready to furnish her house, she's going back to Mark for mattresses.  I'm only sorry that a mattress typically isn't something you buy very often, but I will steer business to him whenever I can.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
iPrimus (our ISP). Whenever we've had trouble with our connection their customer and tech support people have been awesome, and they're currently sorting out a major line issue that's been really annoying. :P (They don't own the line infrastructure, so this involves them poking a different company into action, which they've done really fast. Normally the company in question takes a lot longer to move, and spends time trying to blame the customer's equipment or house wiring first, so I'm very happy that iPrimus are being firm on our behalf.  >:D)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Ginger G

DH and I just had a good experience at the Mattress Firm near our house also.  I would definitely go back there, but it probably will be awhile before we're in the market for a mattress again.

becktheriddler

Apple.  DH and I have been Mac users since the Amiga brand died and we had to replace our Amiga 2000.    I have to use Windows for work, but it is a lot more work to make it do things for me.  We have always had good experiences with our Apple products and will not change to Windows unless forced.

Penzeys.  There are other spice shops I will use, but Penzeys introduced me to the world of quality spices (as opposed to the supermarket spices I had used all my life) and the difference that good spices can make in cooking.  I have never looked back.

Our local motorcycle shop (Rocky Mountain Kawasaki).  We have used them since before they opened (we used the shop that everyone at RMK came from until they got bought out by another company).  Love the guys there.  We still buy our oil and filters there, even though they don't service our brand.  But they will always be the first place we look if we are looking for a new bike.  And once I am back on a bike brand that they service, they will have our full business gain.

Our local gear shop (MotoGear Outlet).  Love Mary & Ed, and they have taken great care of DH and I over the years.  The folks there truly care about getting you into the right gear for your riding-and it shows.  They do a huge internet and phone order business as well-but they never let it interfere with taking care of the customer they are working with.
Ditto on Penzeys. They also have the nicest clerks working there who KNOW their stuff.
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Not a store, but a brand.

I have wide feet.  (I think technically my shoes qualify as marine craft.)  I've always worn a 11.5W because of this.  I recently bought a pair of CrossTrekkers on sale, and the ones that fit are a 10W!  And they feel good!  I've never worn comfortable shoes before.  What I thought was "comfortable" in the past has been merely "they don't hurt".  These shoes are wonderful.  If I can help it, I won't ever buy another brand, these people *get* me!

mmswm

The AutoZone location near me just earned the chain my business again.  I'd sworn off AutoZone years ago due to how snidely I'd been treated at multiple locations with the "you're a girl, you can't possibly know anything about cars" attitude.  Unfortunately my favorite auto parts store doesn't have any locations within a few hundred miles of me, and my choices here were AutoZone and Napa, and I hate Napa even more than I hate AutoZone, so off to AutoZone I went.  The man I dealt with today was beyond awesome, and I never once got even a tiny whiff of the "girls can't work on cars" attitude that I'd come to expect from the chain.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Gelliebean

I love all of the GameStops in this area - don't know if it's a regional thing, but I have never gotten the 'no girls allowed' vibe from any of them.  The workers that I've talked to have all been extremely helpful and friendly, and have good suggestions.

Recently I did buy a game on recommendation and just didn't enjoy it at all, but the guy who sold it to me was so incredibly enthusiastic about it that I think it was probably his newest favorite game ever, and he just wanted everyone to try it.   :P  Their return policy is pretty generous, too.

I also really like Freebird Burrito places.  Everybody there is very friendly, super laid-back, and just generally nice to deal with.

Library Dragon

DS2 used to work at a GameStop. I was impressed with the training manual.  It was as good as some readers advisory classes for librarians.  They are always to be sensitive to customer preferences. One training example was an uncle buying a game for his niece and wanted something with no alcohol or smoking references and no skimpy clothing.  What would he recommend?

DS2 still helps with the midnight release events and they are generous with the swag.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

lowspark

Apple.  DH and I have been Mac users since the Amiga brand died and we had to replace our Amiga 2000.    I have to use Windows for work, but it is a lot more work to make it do things for me.  We have always had good experiences with our Apple products and will not change to Windows unless forced.

Penzeys.  There are other spice shops I will use, but Penzeys introduced me to the world of quality spices (as opposed to the supermarket spices I had used all my life) and the difference that good spices can make in cooking.  I have never looked back.

Our local motorcycle shop (Rocky Mountain Kawasaki).  We have used them since before they opened (we used the shop that everyone at RMK came from until they got bought out by another company).  Love the guys there.  We still buy our oil and filters there, even though they don't service our brand.  But they will always be the first place we look if we are looking for a new bike.  And once I am back on a bike brand that they service, they will have our full business gain.

Our local gear shop (MotoGear Outlet).  Love Mary & Ed, and they have taken great care of DH and I over the years.  The folks there truly care about getting you into the right gear for your riding-and it shows.  They do a huge internet and phone order business as well-but they never let it interfere with taking care of the customer they are working with.
Ditto on Penzeys. They also have the nicest clerks working there who KNOW their stuff.

Another vote for Penzey's. Not only are they nice and knowledgeable, but their prices are actually better than most grocery store spices. And they have all those sniffable jars of spice at the store - so much fun! And they send out coupons for free stuff constantly. And they honor their coupons beyond the expiry date. And they allow you to redeem several of the same coupons at the same time. (I'm in charge of all Penzey's runs for my son and my sister because it's close and convenient enough for me to run over there on my lunch break.)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth

Another vote for Penzey's. Not only are they nice and knowledgeable, but their prices are actually better than most grocery store spices. And they have all those sniffable jars of spice at the store - so much fun! And they send out coupons for free stuff constantly. And they honor their coupons beyond the expiry date. And they allow you to redeem several of the same coupons at the same time. (I'm in charge of all Penzey's runs for my son and my sister because it's close and convenient enough for me to run over there on my lunch break.)

Another vote for Penzey's. We were catalog customers and then when they opened their first SoCal store, spent about $300.00. We had combined households and had a lot of old spices between us. Several years ago they opened one closer to us (Santa Monica, CA) and we can stop by there after a visit to the farmer's market. They're a great resource.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

becktheriddler

Belle Tire. When the weather here turned cold, I started to leave work and my "check tire pressure" light came on. This is a relatively new car (March this year) and the only other time I saw that, a pothole had torn a hole in my tire. I stopped at the local Belle Tire and asked if I could borrow a tire gauge. The service rep told me to just pull up to the air hose, and someone would check it for me. I was about the third car back, but sure enough, through the terribly cold, wet and snowy weather, a rep came out, checked all my tires and brought them to the proper pressure, then wished me a happy Halloween. No payment requested or expected, and in talking to coworkers, typical behavior for them.
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
I had the same thing happen - newish car, getting tire pressure warnings, and after several stops at gas stations I was getting annoyed. So I took it to the Les Schwab Tire Center by my office, and twice now, in the cold, they've checked the pressure and pumped them up - no charge. Since I no longer work anywhere near my former favorite tire place (Barnsley Tire in Boulder, CO), I am betting my next set of tires will be from this place.

And on to something completely different - I am also loving Noodles & Company, at least the location near my office. I've been going in nearly daily lately to pick up lunch, but the other day, realized I'd forgotten my debit card at home. And I only had $7 in cash, for a regular pasta with chicken and a roll. When I asked how much for just the pasta, the nice gal behind the register said "How much do you have?" I replied, and she said "I'll make it work." HOORAY! Yea, they've got my business for some time to come. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

turtleIScream

Belle Tire. When the weather here turned cold, I started to leave work and my "check tire pressure" light came on. This is a relatively new car (March this year) and the only other time I saw that, a pothole had torn a hole in my tire. I stopped at the local Belle Tire and asked if I could borrow a tire gauge. The service rep told me to just pull up to the air hose, and someone would check it for me. I was about the third car back, but sure enough, through the terribly cold, wet and snowy weather, a rep came out, checked all my tires and brought them to the proper pressure, then wished me a happy Halloween. No payment requested or expected, and in talking to coworkers, typical behavior for them.

I love Belle Tire! I have fortunately only needed their services twice, but the people I have recommended them to have had similar positive experiences. Plus, it's fun to say "Belle Tire"
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh