News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 16, 2017, 07:36:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1205572 times)

Hmmmmm

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #5835 on: October 11, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
That will be next. Honestly, for people without an income or with parents out of state, it is almost impossible to get declared a resident for tuition purposes.

We're facing this issue with my son. He's on a deal where he gets in-state tuition despite being from out of state -- it's the Western Undergraduate Exchange for anyone who is interested. Unfortunately, it's only good for 4 years and he's going to go quite a bit longer. Since we pay his tuition and some of his housing, he can't establish residency. What's funny, though, is that it's not a matter of state tax -- he's in Nevada and there is no state tax!

I think you mean there is no State Income Tax. But there is a State Consumption tax and property taxes. As with other states without income tax, the property taxes and consumption taxes are used to fund higher education and other public services.

Browyn

« Reply #5836 on: October 12, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
That when you are trying to prove you are a permanent resident of a state for tuition purposes, usually you need to provide a lease, or employment records, or something.

This student is 29 years old, has never held a job, and her boyfriend supports her and is the only name on the lease.

I gave her all the information I could, but I'm not sure it will help.
Well, I guess she'll be paying out of state tuition then.

Not even a driver's license/id or a tax return?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5837 on: October 12, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
That when you are trying to prove you are a permanent resident of a state for tuition purposes, usually you need to provide a lease, or employment records, or something.

This student is 29 years old, has never held a job, and her boyfriend supports her and is the only name on the lease.

She told me she had not filed taxes. That was a suggestion I made.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5838 on: October 12, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »

She told me she had not filed taxes. That was a suggestion I made.

For Florida State Colleges, just a driver's license isn't enough to establish residency. Here's the list of acceptable documents:

First Tier (at least one of the two documents submitted must be from this list)
1. A Florida voter’s registration card.
2. A Florida driver’s license.
3. A State of Florida identification card.
4. A Florida vehicle registration.
5. Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the
individual or by the individual’s parent if the individual is a dependent child.
6. Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.
7. Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (2 or more years) if the Florida high
school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months.
8. Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a
consecutive 12-month period.
Second Tier (may be used in conjunction with one document from First Tier)
1. A declaration of domicile in Florida.
2. A Florida professional or occupational license.
3. Florida incorporation.
4. A document evidencing family ties in Florida.
5. Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization.
6. Any other documentation that supports your request for resident status, including, but not
limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and
proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document
evidencing legal ties to Florida.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5839 on: October 12, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
In my state, receiving free room and board or “loans and gifts” from friends or relatives, are specifically excluded  as evidence that you are self-supporting

For residence, you must first show that you have no ties to another state, such as a bank account. For evidence  that you live here, they suggest you provide several proofs. Obviously a drivers license or ID card. Tax returns. Voter registration. Bank accounts. Leases, mortgages or utility bills in your name. Local credit accounts or memberships in a gym, club, church etc. A bill from the moving company that shipped your belongings.

My guess is that voter registration would be a good start. Does she have not a local bank account?  What about putting the electric or water bill in her name? A part time job somewhere?

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #5840 on: October 12, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »
As retired military with an adult DD still living in a state that we were stationed in during that military career, we still maintain accounts in our current home state and two previous states (Georgia & Kentucky).

We never plan to move back to state three, but as long as DD & her family are in state two, it's handy to have a local institution to write checks on or pull money out of the ATM (no fees).

We have credit cards from both places and cancelling the credit cards would impact our financial standing (for a while) but VorGuy would rather keep the cards active than cancel them.  That may change later...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5841 on: October 12, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »
In my state, receiving free room and board or “loans and gifts” from friends or relatives, are specifically excluded  as evidence that you are self-supporting

For residence, you must first show that you have no ties to another state, such as a bank account. For evidence  that you live here, they suggest you provide several proofs. Obviously a drivers license or ID card. Tax returns. Voter registration. Bank accounts. Leases, mortgages or utility bills in your name. Local credit accounts or memberships in a gym, club, church etc. A bill from the moving company that shipped your belongings.

My guess is that voter registration would be a good start. Does she have not a local bank account?  What about putting the electric or water bill in her name? A part time job somewhere?

I suggested those as well. She is not currently working and has not since she moved.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5842 on: October 12, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
I have a few coworkers that are from other countries and English is not their first language. They all speak English beautifully; however, ever once in awhile slang or a localism will trip them up.

A few weeks ago we had a rather nasty, difficult customer used "Why, bless your heart" to one of their faces. As their shift manager on duty, I saw fit to take over this transaction and send the biddy on her way. When we were talking about it afterward, the cw mentioned she realized I was really angry at this lady, though the woman didn't. She knew she was being nasty, but she didn't understand why I was mad at the customer until I explained that "Why, bless your heart" used in the context and tone used to her was about the most insulting, nastiest thing a Southerner woman could say to someone. The fact that she said it to her face just made my freaking blood boil.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

pattycake

« Reply #5843 on: October 12, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »

I suggested those as well. She is not currently working and has not since she moved.

and re the bolded, it's usually hard to get utilities in your name if you are not working. Then they want a big deposit, because you are a risk since you aren't working, which you can't pay, because, yup, you aren't working.

pattycake

« Reply #5844 on: October 12, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
Not me, but a friend. She just moved here to Canada from Utah this past spring. She posts a picture of today's snowfall, how pretty it is, and how they are listening to a Christmas CD. 

Then she adds: (Don't worry ya'll it is after Thanksgiving here in Canada. )

Because apparently they are keeping to the "rule" that you can't play Christmas music before Thanksgiving (and they're thrilled that, by their rule, they (the girls) can play their Christmas music now!) Then she gets this message from a friend in Utah:

Friend of friend: When is Christmas up there?

Friend: Lol! Same day. December 25

Because my friend responded the way she did, and didn't reply with just lol, I do believe that her friend was serious!

Twik

« Reply #5845 on: October 13, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »

I get the sense that she's used to everyone else solving her problems. Probably won't complete her coursework either if she does get accepted.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #5846 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Why would you jump from "boyfriend offers financial support" to "won't do her work"? Seems like a huge leap to me.