News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 05, 2015, 07:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Funny misunderstandings  (Read 8576 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Funny misunderstandings
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2015, 08:57:33 PM »
Well, the allegation was not that the professors were over-consuming, just that they were allowing the students to have wine with dinner, and the professors were refusing to tell the host families that they could not serve their guests alcohol in their homes (it being part of the culture's rules about hospitality to do so). I would agree that the professors need to be modeling appropriate alcohol consumption, and if there IS some culture where it is normal to get completely blitzed, that they should use our cultural expectations to guide their amount of drinking. :)

You just reminded me of my high school honors trip, where we went to a dinner theater and the chaperones sat at a table back in a dark corner. They claimed to be making the more desirable tables available for the students, but we discovered a secondary motive when a waiter tripped on a wrinkle in the carpet and dumped our chaperones' trayful of drinks onto them. This was when sugary drinks like frozen daiquiris, tequila sunrises, and pina coladas were THE drink of the day. They had to sit through the play, as the bus had departed (pre cell phone days).

Chez Miriam

• Newbie, trying to find my way here...
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 01:34:14 PM »
The Margarita Misunderstanding reminds me of a story I posted in another thread.  Someone saw me drinking a bottle of ginger beer at my desk.  Because it came in a brown long-neck bottle and had the word "beer" on it, she thought she'd better tell me that "In case you didn't know, drinking alcohol during work hours isn't allowed here."

When I was a senior in HS our drill team traveled to Scotland and England. I was threatened with being sent home over a series of "misunderstandings" that were really a woman who hated Mom causing trouble. One of them was me getting caught drinking Ginger Beer.

Her other complaints were laughed at immediately by the other chaperons. It took the train staff and several passengers to convince them that Ginger Beer was a soft drink.
But don't you guys have root beer?  I thought that was a North American non-alcoholic drink?  I'd never heard of it until I worked at McDonald's, so I assumed it was American.

I'm having a few "two nations divided by a common language" issues at the moment, where I think I've understood, and then realise I've missed the meaning completely and not noticed because I understood all the individual words!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."    - Julian of Norwich

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 01:42:07 PM »
Why is it confusing that someone might know the term "root beer" and *not* know "ginger beer"?   The only reason I know ginger beer was due to reading some British fiction.  Pretty much every other beer in the US contains alcohol

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 01:55:41 PM »
Why is it confusing that someone might know the term "root beer" and *not* know "ginger beer"?   The only reason I know ginger beer was due to reading some British fiction.  Pretty much every other beer in the US contains alcohol

Right. It's like root beer is a separate entity and you don't even hear the word "beer" anymore. I can totally see mistaking ginger beer for an alcoholic drink. I think explaining it as "it's like root beer" will make the light bulb go off.

We get so used to words and putting them in it's own boxes. For the longest time, I thought hard lemonade is an innocent drink. I never considered the word "hard." If I thought about it, I probably thought it meant super strong lemon flavor.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: Yesterday at 02:13:40 PM »
I just remembered this story. I went on vacation with friends. One morning, they called my room at 5:30am and said we will be going to *activity* at 7am. Cool. An hour more of sleep. At 6am, they called back asking if I'm ready and sounded impatient. I was confused, but told them I'll knock on their door in a few minutes minutes. After getting ready, we rushed to the elevators and I noticed they acted tense and I sensed they were mad at me. Timidly, I said "So. Decided to go early?" They looked at me incredulously and said we're late since it's after 7am. After a shocked moment, I informed them it was only a little after 6am.

It turned out they accidentally set their clock an hour ahead. We all had a good laugh and now had time for a leisurely breakfast.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 02:22:41 PM »

Right. It's like root beer is a separate entity and you don't even hear the word "beer" anymore. I can totally see mistaking ginger beer for an alcoholic drink. I think explaining it as "it's like root beer" will make the light bulb go off.

We get so used to words and putting them in it's own boxes. For the longest time, I thought hard lemonade is an innocent drink. I never considered the word "hard." If I thought about it, I probably thought it meant super strong lemon flavor.

Also, even if they noticed the similarity in phrasing, it's not like "[other word] beer" always refers to something nonalcoholic. "Root beer" and "ginger beer" are nonalcoholic, but "wheat beer" is a type of alcoholic beer with a high wheat content.

TracyXJ

« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 02:55:56 PM »

In the South East, there is a soda called Cheerwine.  More Cherry flavored than Dr. Pepper and delicious.  Supposedly the original company was nearly shut down for not obtaining the proper license for producing alcohol and had a bit of trouble until the authorities understood that it wasn't actually wine.

CakeBeret

« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 06:40:54 PM »
I had an email from a colleague the other day telling me that he would have a form to me "by the cob of the third business day." Knowing he is a Southerner, I assumed that the cob of the day was a way to refer to the day coming to a close, or something. I was actually a bit charmed by this new phrase.

A week and a half later, another colleague emailed me to say that she needed something by "COB today", as in Close of Business. I thought "Heheh....COB sounds like "cob"...wait a second!" Then it FINALLY dawned on me that the original colleague had meant Close of Business.

I'm very glad that I never used the phrase "the cob of the day" out loud!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #113 on: Yesterday at 06:50:02 PM »

Ginger beer is sold in supermarkets here, and I'm in the NE US.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 08:15:12 PM »

*Now* it is, maybe not 30 years ago.

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #115 on: Yesterday at 11:28:15 PM »

*Now* it is, maybe not 30 years ago.

Well, that's true. :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #116 on: Today at 12:49:03 AM »
The Margarita Misunderstanding reminds me of a story I posted in another thread.  Someone saw me drinking a bottle of ginger beer at my desk.  Because it came in a brown long-neck bottle and had the word "beer" on it, she thought she'd better tell me that "In case you didn't know, drinking alcohol during work hours isn't allowed here."

When I was a senior in HS our drill team traveled to Scotland and England. I was threatened with being sent home over a series of "misunderstandings" that were really a woman who hated Mom causing trouble. One of them was me getting caught drinking Ginger Beer.

Her other complaints were laughed at immediately by the other chaperons. It took the train staff and several passengers to convince them that Ginger Beer was a soft drink.
But don't you guys have root beer?  I thought that was a North American non-alcoholic drink?  I'd never heard of it until I worked at McDonald's, so I assumed it was American.

I'm having a few "two nations divided by a common language" issues at the moment, where I think I've understood, and then realise I've missed the meaning completely and not noticed because I understood all the individual words!
Yes we have both Root Beer and Ginger Ale - For most of the chaperons I put it down to them being sleep deprived from chasing after girls who were sneaking out to play scrabble.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #117 on: Today at 12:55:39 AM »
The first page of this thread literally had me rolling in laughter.  I really needed that today - thanks!

Very small contribution.  The owner/barista at a new little coffee shop near my office is very friendly, and was chatting to me about kids etc as he makes my coffee.    He knows my son is 2.5 and my daughter is 11 months.   At one point in conversation I referred to "the baby" meaning my daughter, and he half jokingly said that they're both babies, I said no my son is a big boy etc.   Anyway, I don't recall exactly how the conversation unfolded but he said "Is he walking yet?" and in absolute disbelief I exclaimed way too loudly and indignantly "My 2.5 year old??!"   because I could not believe that anybody would believe that a 2.5yr old wasn't walking yet, unless there was some kind of physical disability or significant developmental delay, and actually my 2.5yr old is quite advanced for his age dontcha know!   ....Yeah, he meant the baby.    I'm not sure if I misheard "he" or if he just mixed the pronouns up.   Cleared up immediately but still no idea why I was fixated on the toddler - I guess because he had already insisted that my big boy was a baby!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"