News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 28, 2016, 03:46:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat  (Read 352578 times)

MaryR

• Will work for cupcakes.
Re: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat
« Reply #2700 on: June 25, 2016, 12:31:34 AM »
I'm so sorry for what your sweet Tyra went through and I'm also sorry for bringing up such a heart breaking issue in such a light hearted thread.

All of the cats we have loved until they died have been come to us from the "land of broken cats". We have only had 3 in 40 years that had food issues. Usually, they figure out that there will be food tomorrow after a short time. The ones who don't, never figure it out.

I was just joking about stopping Missy from getting food whenever she wanted it. I love her and want her to be happy. Cats that overeat do get fat and have health issues, but I'd feel terrible if she was spending her days wondering where to find food.

Dear MB:

You have lived in our home for 8 years. I have never once kicked you or stepped on your tail. I am the one who gives you gooshy food and I am the one who gives you treats. So, why do you love the male slave and purr all over him, but run away from me if I happen to look at you when we are in the same room? Also, why is it OK for me to give you scratches and pets when I'm in the bed, but as soon as I get up, you run away like I'm going to do unspeakable things to you.

Is it because I sometimes pull your bed out from under the big bed and wash it? Is it because I sometimes (not often) sweep under the bed? The only time I think to do it is when you slink out covered with dust bunnies.

Maybe you should shake off the dust bunnies and I won't notice.

Love,
The slave who doesn't like seeing a handsome black cat looking disheveled.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2701 on: June 25, 2016, 06:59:24 AM »
*This is a real thing. Some rescued stray cats get food insecurities and feel the need to eat for tomorrow. Sadly, 5 years later, Missy hasn't seemed to believe that there will always be food now.

My Mikey was pretty bad for that when he was younger. He was a little chubby and I didn't want to restrict his food because when he got panicky (no food, loud noises, whatever) he puked all over.

He is almost 16 now and he is much better than he used to be. I think it took more than five years though. And Pris has no such anxieties, despite coming from the same home he did.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2702 on: June 25, 2016, 08:16:05 AM »
My friend's cat Cam was a lovely little tortoiseshell Burmese - really little, she was tiny, probably due to her horrible early life. For the first few months after he got her, she couldn't leave food in the bowl. As far as we could tell, she didn't believe there'd be food there tomorrow, so if there was food there now it had to be eaten right away. This is a problem when you have three cats in the house and the other two are used to free-feeding on kibble in between wet food meals! We'd put down food for all of them; Cam would sit at the bowl and stuff herself until she was spherical, then wobble away to digest it; we'd put down more food for the other two, and Cam would drag herself back to the bowl and try to choke more down.

Thankfully Cam got over it and was able to eat until she was full and leave the rest in the bowl after only a few months. She went on to have a long and very happy life. :-*

Dear Holly,

I know you want to play fetch. You've made that very clear. Unfortunately, you may be sitting behind my chair making 'throw the toy, Mummy!' noises, but the toy you want me to throw is all the way over there in the hall... where you left it after I threw it last time... and I am not going to go fetch it for you. 'Fetch' implies that you fetch it, okay?

Love, Me.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2703 on: June 25, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
It is sad MaryR, but honestly I make the same sort of jokes. :) Branwen has really got a lot better about her gorging in the...three? four? years I've had her (she used to do it at every meal - now she only horks if she accidentally eats too much, too fast, and that's usually at dinner when she gets wet food) and Freya doesn't actively try to run anyone off their food, she's more of an opportunist.

Rika on the other hand is at the other extreme - it's hard to get her to actually eat. She won't touch anything but the dry food and spicy crisps, and if I should have to switch kibble brands for whatever reason she'll literally starve herself. :-\ I suspect she may have been greatly abused in relation to food and water before I got her...
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #2704 on: June 25, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »
I'm so sorry for what your sweet Tyra went through and I'm also sorry for bringing up such a heart breaking issue in such a light hearted thread.

All of the cats we have loved until they died have been come to us from the "land of broken cats". We have only had 3 in 40 years that had food issues. Usually, they figure out that there will be food tomorrow after a short time. The ones who don't, never figure it out.
Believe me, I can sympathise. It takes ages for cats to get over it. While they no longer gorge on everything in sight, we've had our pair for going on 6 years now and they still sometimes hoard food if the kibble bowl isn't completely full.

Which was fun when we smelled something awful for days and discovered Matilda had stashed prawns under a floorboard. The last incident was a pile of moldy catfood, that must have been loving picked up and carried mouthful by mouthful under the bed...why yes, it was disgusting.

MaryR

« Reply #2705 on: June 25, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »

Which was fun when we smelled something awful for days and discovered Matilda had stashed prawns under a floorboard. The last incident was a pile of moldy catfood, that must have been loving picked up and carried mouthful by mouthful under the bed...why yes, it was disgusting.

That noise you are hearing is NOT laughter!!! I'm coughing, that's it, just coughing.

Simple used to hoard food. Happily for me, he just put it in his favorite box so it was easy to find. Once I had baked extra potatoes and left them on the counter to cool. I forgot about them and went to bed. The next morning, every single one was gone and I found them in Simple's box. Simple was born deformed and can't jump. He must have climbed up the drawer handles to pull his prizes down so he could carry them off and stash them safely away in case there wasn't food tomorrow.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2706 on: June 25, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
Dear Sassy:

Please, please, please stop sneaking into the bedroom.  I thought you were out of there.  Apparently, I was wrong.  I'm sorry you were locked in there for 8 hours.  But I'm very pleased that you pooped in the bathtub.  Still waiting to find out where you peed, though...  :P

For Pete's sake, cat, stop sneaking into the room!  2 minutes after you were let out, you tried to sneak in again.  Didn't you learn your lesson?

Your exasperated slave
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

snowfire

« Reply #2707 on: June 25, 2016, 09:09:56 PM »
MaryR, I wasn't trying to be a Debbie Downer in the thread.  I tease Tyra about it occasionally, that she thinks she is going to starve if she can see any chrome through a pile of kibble.  It is just sad that when she has lived with us for this long, she still can't forget being hungry. I guess it never leaves them.  I am fortunate in that she has never been one to hoard food or gorge until she puked. 

Atirial, that is hilarious about Matilda and the hidden food!

MaryR

« Reply #2708 on: June 26, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »
snowfire, you are being a Silly Billy. I'm the one who brought up the Debbie Downer stuff, not you. Sometimes cats come with their own baggage which is sad. Our (everyone in this thread) cats are now living the good life with people who love them and are willing to deal with hoarding or barfing in exchange for a beloved furry companion.

Our Lucky is old and sick (bad kidneys and hyper-thyroid) and gets gooshy food on demand, or whenever we realize that he hasn't eaten in 3 or 4 hours. He will go to his snacky spot and wait for one of to put a bowl down. If we put it more than 6 inches away from him, he gives us such a look "stupid human, do you really expect me to WALK all the way over there?" Of course, we pick him up and move him closer to his bowl. He's not spoiled, we are just very well trained!

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #2709 on: Today at 10:15:11 AM »
Alexei & Lyla,

Ok, ok, I finally broke down and bought you another water fountain.  I expect now to be able to brush my teeth and wash the dishes in peace, and you had better keep your little feet out of my glasses. 

The one who might make you live in a closet if you don't stop knocking over my drinks!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2710 on: Today at 10:27:26 AM »
Dear kittens,

Why have you suddenly become interested obsessed with the stairs from the entry to the second floor? Why were you making so much noise down there last night, then spooked yourselves, then came stampeding up to the living room?

Puzzled,

Adopted mom
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien