News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 05:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 767277 times)

andi

Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2895 on: October 22, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »
Out tv is stil randomly turning on at 7 am Saturday mornings. I can't find a pattern.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2896 on: October 24, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »
Out tv is stil randomly turning on at 7 am Saturday mornings. I can't find a pattern.

I had a small JVC television in the spare bedroom at our old house.  It would randomly turn on and sometimes the volume would turn up (I usually turn volumes to 0 before I turn things off, that way I don't wake my wife up if I turn them on) so there would suddenly be this loud static sound. 

Turned out, my neighbor, whose TV was a good 20 feet from my small TV, also had a JVC television and their remote would occasionally turn on our spare TV.   

We had also gotten a wireless doorbell and it would go off and no one would be at the door.  One day I was looking out the window and realized that just as my doorbell was going off the neighbor's garage door was opening as they were driving into their driveway - checked it again to make sure and Yep! - it was being set off by their garage door opener remote.  We switched it back to a wired doorbell

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #2897 on: October 25, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »
It's not a haunting, but a weird coincidence about a death:

Dad was sick for a couple of years before he died. He was a farmer and had sold most of his livestock when he became ill, but still had a handful of cattle. One particular cow developed intermittent problems - twice in the last couple of years she would be sick for a couple of days, then would be fine.

She got sick again a few days ago but seemed to be improving.

Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of Dad's death. His cow died last night.
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

o_gal

« Reply #2898 on: October 26, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
Jezebel is running their spooky stories contest again - https://jezebel.com/tell-us-your-most-piss-your-pants-frightening-true-sto-1819337538. IMHO the best one this year is the one with the girl in Cincinnati and her dog Dozer. It ranks right up there with "Look At Me" from either 2015 or 2016.

Gladly

« Reply #2899 on: November 01, 2017, 04:32:14 AM »
Thanks O-Gal (I think!)  I wasted a whole afternoon reading those stories!   ;D

rose red

« Reply #2900 on: November 01, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »
Thanks O-Gal (I think!)  I wasted a whole afternoon reading those stories!   ;D

If you want to "waste" another afternoon ;), Ask A Manager has a thread about spooky workplace stories (started yesterday Oct. 31). Lots of interesting stuff.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2901 on: November 15, 2017, 12:19:26 AM »

I had a small JVC television in the spare bedroom at our old house.  It would randomly turn on and sometimes the volume would turn up (I usually turn volumes to 0 before I turn things off, that way I don't wake my wife up if I turn them on) so there would suddenly be this loud static sound. 

Turned out, my neighbor, whose TV was a good 20 feet from my small TV, also had a JVC television and their remote would occasionally turn on our spare TV.   

We had also gotten a wireless doorbell and it would go off and no one would be at the door.  One day I was looking out the window and realized that just as my doorbell was going off the neighbor's garage door was opening as they were driving into their driveway - checked it again to make sure and Yep! - it was being set off by their garage door opener remote.  We switched it back to a wired doorbell

My parents' garage door started randomly opening & closing for no apparent reason. They lived right under the flight path for the nearest airport, and apparently some of the planes passing overhead were emitting a signal that was setting it off. They got the garage door opener re-set (new code or something) and it never happened again.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kaymyth

« Reply #2902 on: November 15, 2017, 11:51:18 AM »

My parents' garage door started randomly opening & closing for no apparent reason. They lived right under the flight path for the nearest airport, and apparently some of the planes passing overhead were emitting a signal that was setting it off. They got the garage door opener re-set (new code or something) and it never happened again.

It's bizarre what can set off garage door openers. Many years ago, my mom's garage door went crazy during a thunderstorm. Every flash of lightning would activate it. She wound up having to unplug the thing until the storm had passed.

Nuku

« Reply #2903 on: November 15, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »

It's bizarre what can set off garage door openers. Many years ago, my mom's garage door went crazy during a thunderstorm. Every flash of lightning would activate it. She wound up having to unplug the thing until the storm had passed.

We once had a television (old, tube-style one) that started smoking during the annual showing of The Wizard of Oz. This did not help my sister overcome her fear of the Wicked Witch of the West...

dawnfire

« Reply #2904 on: November 15, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »

We once had a television (old, tube-style one) that started smoking during the annual showing of The Wizard of Oz. This did not help my sister overcome her fear of the Wicked Witch of the West...

We had a TV (of a similar vintage) which blew a valve when we were playing the Atari. We were playing tanks, dad fired a shot and the TV blew up.  I think the shot went a little astray  ;D
Whittlesea Victoria

Asharah

« Reply #2905 on: November 15, 2017, 10:16:43 PM »
I remember a story here where the OP worked in a toy store and a person brought a toy back because it was "possessed" by the devil. It was some kind of toy garage with a remote and would suddenly activate when the kids weren't playing with it. Op figured it was in the same room with a TV and was reacting to somebody using the TV remote.
Asharah

Sirius

« Reply #2906 on: December 03, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
There have been several instances lately when I could swear I heard a cat snoring away in my office when I've been playing games on line.  The thing is, Max, my cat with the loud snore, had to be put down at the beginning of October as he was quite old and very ill.  He used to come into my office, curl up on top of the bins of fabric, and snore loud.  I figure if it's him, he came here because he knew that here he was safe and loved.  I'll just let him keep snoozing.  My other cats haven't been in the room when this has been happening.