News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 27, 2015, 09:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you watch documentaries?  (Read 2452 times)

SCAJAfamily

Re: Do you watch documentaries?
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »
Some.  I do like the Ken Burns' series but the style gets old quickly.  I am a sucker for any documentary on British royalty, history, or houses/castles.

I like the ones on PBS.  I caught the last 20 minutes of a Marie Curie doc last night.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2015, 06:25:36 AM »
I watch quite a lot of documentaries. I've been watching some golden oldies lately - F for Fake which is fantastic, Tattooed tears, Aileen Wuornos - the selling of a serial killer to name a few.

Last one I saw was the Dark Matter of Love, a very thought provoking one about a family adopting three children and the difficulties in forming a family relationships and the emotional baggage the kids come to them with.

There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »
"That Guy Who Was In That Thing"  doc about little-known, "working" actors we see a lot but don't know their names.  Very entertaining.  It's on Netflix.  The one about the voice actors is great, too.

POD to Blackfish, although it's really hard to watch.  Catfish is good too.  I also highly recommend "The Staircase".  It's riveting.

I loved "That Guy Who Was In That Thing." They just made a follow up with women called "That Gal... Who Was in That Thing: That Guy 2." It's on Showtime (US channel). I haven't watched it yet. Maybe I will get to it this weekend.

miranova

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
The Woman Who Wasn't There

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »

"The Real Beauty and the Beast"  on Smithsonian Channel.  https://youtu.be/xol_SoMk_WM    Fascinating origin of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »
Someone mentioned "The Cowsills" a rather sad story, but interesting.

Anything by Ken Burns. His latest "The Roosevelts" was terrific and gave me a new appreciation for Eleanor Roosevelt, a true humanitarian, ahead of her time and was significant in the Civil Rights Act. I've heard rumblings that he's going to do a documentary of Marilyn Monroe, which some people think has been done to death, pardon the pun, but if anyone can do it well, it's Burns.

And then there's "Jinx", the HBO series documenting Robert Durst. Until it was aired, for some reason I thought he was dead and with him went the mysteries of the people he's suspected of killing, and why in hell did he dismember his neighbor who, astonishingly, he was acquitted of murdering, because he claimed it was self defense. Sociopathic freak, that one. At least he's off the streets and hopefully he won't be given bail because he's rich enough to pay it and smart enough to be a flight risk.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
"That Guy Who Was In That Thing"  doc about little-known, "working" actors we see a lot but don't know their names.  Very entertaining.  It's on Netflix.  The one about the voice actors is great, too.

POD to Blackfish, although it's really hard to watch.  Catfish is good too.  I also highly recommend "The Staircase".  It's riveting.

I loved "That Guy Who Was In That Thing." They just made a follow up with women called "That Gal... Who Was in That Thing: That Guy 2." It's on Showtime (US channel). I haven't watched it yet. Maybe I will get to it this weekend.

I've never heard of this documentary but looked it up in Wikipedia to see if I recognized any of the names.  Odd how several of them are actors who had been on "24."  I didn't realize Bruce Davison is considered a working actor (I remember the first time I saw him was in "Longtime Companion").  Anyway, this documentary reminded me of when I was watching "Agents of Shield" the other night and saw the guy playing the Kree.  My first thought was "Hey, that's the guy Phoebe Buffay hit on in the hospital!"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »
For those of you who like Ken Burns, and also anyone who read the book "The Emperor of all Maladies: A Biography of Cancer" - on March 30, 31 and APril 1, on PBS, they have "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies" Looks very intersting. I read the book twice, and still didn't get everything. My DVR is already set for this one.

Coley

« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 11:11:56 AM »
I just re-watched the Maysles brothers documentary "Grey Gardens" on TMC the other night. Albert Maysles passed away recently, so TMC was doing a tribute to them. "Grey Gardens" is about Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis's aunt and cousin who lived in a dilapidated mansion in East Hampton. I also DVR-ed their film "Salesman," which was made in 1969 and is about door-to-door Bible salesmen. I need to re-watch "Gimme Shelter," their film about the Rolling Stones, sometime.

I also need to watch "Wrecking Crew," which is about studio musicians of the 1960s. These are the session musicians who played the instruments on many of the most popular songs of the period, but most people would have no idea who they are. I've also added "Muscle Shoals" to my must-watch list.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 03:31:52 PM »
I just came across this one, "Wayne Wichern -- Portrait of a Milliner."  It's a short on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Ogbyg5XFc -- 4 minutes, 21 seconds.  I'm fascinated because I'm enrolled in his beginning millinery class for next month (three 8-hour sessions on Sundays).  I've wanted to learn to make hats for over 20 years now so it's a bit of a dream come true (although I'm not sure if *we* are making the hats so much as decorating the hats -- in any case, I get to come home with three custom-decorated hats for *me*!!!).