Author Topic: A shout out to second responders . . . Thank You!  (Read 684 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
A shout out to second responders . . . Thank You!
« on: September 06, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
First responders are the fire fighters/police/EMT's etc.

Second responders, in my mind (I think I just made this term up because I didn't know what else to call these people) are the utility companies, tree trimmers, clean-up crews, etc.  . . . those that work hard restoring common luxuries that are lost during a major storm.

We had a pretty good storm yesterday (Friday) blow through my area. While it was no where near the capacity of Sandy or other hurricanes/tornadoes, it caused quite a bit of damage with downed electrical wires, trees, etc.

What is usually a 10 minute drive home took me close to 40 minutes because of stoplight outages and tree lying in the middle of a main thoroughfare. It was still raining pretty hard but there was a crew taking care of removing that tree and directing traffic.

When I finally got home, down the street from me, there was another tree that was pulled up by the roots and fell across electrical lines leaving live wires. And there was a crew taking care of it.

I heard big utility-type trucks going through the neighborhood all night long.

We were without power for 20+ hours. This morning DD#2 told me that she talked to a friend of hers that wasn't in our area and friend said that more than 100,000 people were with out power and it could be Sunday or Monday before everything was restored. An hour later, the power went on.

We still didn't have cable/internet/phone (horrors!) but that was restored 4 hours later.

I went out to run some errands and just drove around the neighborhood for a bit. I was so impressed with the amount of utility trucks/tree trimmers/cable companies that were out there . . . it just made me think.

To all the "second responders" out there . . . I just want to shout out a great big, huge THANK YOU! For being johnny-on-the-spot and working so much overtime in order to restore our first-world needs in such an efficient manner.

The work that you do hasn't gone unnoticed! Yes, I have sent a TY e-mail to customer service for both electric and cable companies. I wish there was more that I could do.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: A shout out to second responders . . . Thank You!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »
I know people who were taking cases of sealed water bottles around in their cars after Ike - and would give them out to crews doing clean up, restoring power. They were shocked at how many said they didn't have water. That is dangerous work without adding heat stroke to the dangers.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »
We live in a storm prone area with tornadoes in the spring and hurricanes in the summer, I know how important these utility and public service crews are to the community returning to normal.

Jocelyn

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »
My BIL is an electrician. I don't know how many times family visits have been interrupted by his having to go out to restore power to a dairy farm (you can't just NOT milk, and you can't milk by hand) or some suck emergency. One year he couldn't come for Christmas because power was disrupted to the hospital. They were adding on, and he had laid underground cables, and concrete was poured above them; and of course something went wrong in the section under the concrete. He had to stand around as crews with jackhammers broke through to the cables, then climb down into the hole and test THAT section to see if it were where the interruption was. And of course, they started at the wrong end of the building, so that they had to tear up 90% of the concrete to get to the interruption. It took so long, that by the time he finished and fixed it (which was an insignificant amount of time), he'd been awake too many hours to drive to our house.
He's also the city electrician now, which means he changes the lightbulbs in the stoplights (ever think about how that gets done? I know I never did!). One time he made my sister change the lightbulb that had burned out, because his bucket controls weren't working quite right, so there had to be someone at the truck operating the bucket. It was easier to teach her how to change the stoplight than it was to teach her how to drive the bucket. Or maybe he thought she wouldn't be able to resist playing a prank... >:D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »
In the summer of 2013, the City of Calgary and surrounding communities (ie High River) suffered a massive flood.
The public service staff worked incredibly hard to get everything up and running again.

A couple of days ago, Calgary endured an unseasonal, 30cm (12 inch) snowfall. Wet, heavy snow downed trees and power lines all over the city.

Again, utilities and public sector workers did yeoman service trying to get it all going again.

Calgary Mayor Nasheed Nenshi calls it "Time to hug a public servant again."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-snow-power-mostly-restored-after-storm-enmax-says-1.2762991

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »
The snow plows in my city have a turn-around spot in the park across the street from my house. I take them cookies when I see them during the day.

They are out there all night sometimes, especially this past winter, when the snow just didn't seem to stop falling. It's cold, it's wet, it's icy, and they just keep doing their jobs.

And I live on a steep hill--I couldn't get out if they didn't spend the extra time sanding and salting.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up. I know we've had the crews out a lot this summer - meaning they are away from their families for long hours. Since the winter was pretty brutal I am sure this has been a difficult year for many who work in this field.