News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 27, 2016, 12:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "There's a Squirrel in my Bedroom!" - Unexpected Animal Encounters  (Read 8046 times)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Re: "There's a Squirrel in my Bedroom!" - Unexpected Animal Encounters
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
Sorry, can we not laud people for killing probably completely harmless snakes?  In most populated areas, the vast majority of snakes we see are not only non-venomous, they're highly likely to run away from humans instead of attacking unless you corner them.

GardenGal

« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2016, 03:16:48 PM »
My boss once went to the washroom and there was a spider in the stall.  She came out without using the toilet and asked me if I would remove the spider for her.
   When DH was in graduate school we spent one summer working deep in the rain forest in Guyana, South America, with another grad student, miles from the nearest tiny town.  I started the summer with a mild fear/intense dislike of spiders.  The rain forest had spiders a-plenty, especially in the outdoor latrine.  By the end of the summer I had greatly less of a dislike just due to having to live with them.

However... one night there was a torrential rain and the little 5' deep creek (that was down a hillside about 30' below our rather primitive camp) filled with enough water to rise over 30' and flood our campsite.  Our tent was on a wooden platform about 3' off the ground, and the platform was the only dry spot we could see.  We were woken in the middle of the night by other grad student yelling that the water was flooding and that we needed to grab everything that had been on the ground and get it onto the platform before it floated away.  So we're doing all this, drenched to the skin, in pitch blackness except for our flashlights and one weak lantern.  In the midst of this madness other student shouts to DH that there was a snake - a Fer-de-Lance, an extremely aggressive venomous snake - climbing onto the platform,  and that DH should "grab a stick and get rid of the snake."  Which DH did so fast he didn't really have time to think about it.  Hours later, when the flood began to recede and things were starting to calm down, DH got the shakes just thinking about how close an encounter he had had with such a dangerous creature.

One more animal story from that summer... we woke in the middle of the night to the tremendously loud noise of what sounded like a freight train going right through our tent.  After a few breathless seconds during which we reassured ourselves that the tent was empty, the sound continued. We finally realized that it had to be howler monkeys in the forest just outside our tent, but to this day, 46 years later, it remains the loudest sustained sound I've ever heard.

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »
The San Francisco Zoo has some howlers, and I have been told that you can hear them a few miles away when they really crank it up.  I've been just outside their cage when they do it, and you can't hear yourself think!  An astounding level of noise...
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2016, 03:19:40 PM »
We once camped outside at the zoo north of Orlando. The Siamang monkeys woke us up at 4 AM and kept us up until the sun came up.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Twik

« Reply #139 on: Yesterday at 09:59:37 AM »
Remembered another one.

Last year I went down to the basement to throw a load of clothes into the washer and notice a rather large ball of lint inside the machine.  Just as I was about to reach in to pull it out it moved.  A rather plump, gray mouse had gotten into the washer basket and couldn't manage to get out.  I call for BeagleDaddy to come remove the varmint and he shouts,

"What do you mean there's a mouse in the washer?".  My response was "What part of "there's a mouse in the washer needs clarification?"".  He came down with a Tupperware container and removed it.

Well, I do recall an tech story about someone who'd ordered a computer and called back to say it had arrived with a dead mouse. The tech tried to troubleshoot it - "make sure you're rolling it on an opaque surface. If all else fails, open it up and blow on it to remove any dust" - and was surprised that the customer was quite resistant to his suggestions, until it was clarified she meant not a malfunctioning piece of equipment but that there was a deceased rodent in the package.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."