News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 22, 2017, 09:24:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rain gardens, gutters and water runoff  (Read 600 times)

suzieQ

Rain gardens, gutters and water runoff
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »
We just got gutters on our house and I'm contemplating a rain garden at one corner of the house to handle the water from that downspout. Does anyone have one? Tips, experiences and info are welcomed!

katycoo

Re: Rain gardens, gutters and water runoff
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:20:02 AM »
I don't even know what a rain garden is!

suzieQ

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
It's a depression in the ground that you direct rainwater into, then the plants in or around it use the water. Prevents run off from trenching your yard and cleans the water as it is absorbed back into the water table.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »
I've always loved the idea but mosquitos are too much of an issue year round where we live. To control them, the garden would need to dry up at least every 8 to 12 days and that's a pretty low probability for our area. I'd first start with contacting your local ag extension or university. They can give great advice for your area.

POF

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
Never heard of this - very interesting.

sandisadie

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
We contemplated making a water garden a couple of years ago.  There is a lot of information available on line about them.  Good luck!

Oh Joy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:28:14 PM »
Whereabouts do you live, how much space do you have, and what would be your goal with whatever you end up putting in that corner?

GardenGal

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
What you do and how depends very much on where you live and what your rainfall is like. Here in So. Calif. we only get rain from Nov. through May, virtually none the rest of the year, and often almost none in November or May. Other areas have rain on and off all year long.  You should start checking with your local sources: garden clubs, local Dept. of Agriculture, etc.

Here's a fine website for some in-depth ideas and good links: http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

MaryR

• Will work for cupcakes.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:55:41 PM »
I just looked them up as well. Wow, what a good idea for urban areas that get regular rainfall. From what I read (during an admittedly short amount of time), they could be adapted for small areas or large ones.

For a few moments, I considered diverting one of our rain gutter outlets to a water garden, but came back to my senses very quickly. Our rain water goes into barrels to keep the plants alive during time of no rain. Which is most of the year.