News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2016, 08:54:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 1288434 times)

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #5475 on: Today at 01:50:35 PM »
Speaking of "beggars and moochers", I was at Yonge/Dundas in Toronto recently and heard some guy who was panhandling complain that he "...only made 3 f'n dollars" at that spot.  This was a grown man, I'd say in his 30's, with no visible problems.  I saw him another day with a sign about how he's "clean and sober".  Got to wonder how much a person can make mooching off other people just because you're "clean and sober".   ::)

My friend's mom told us about a panhandler that accosted her and her son when they came out of Starbucks one day.  Apparently he was all "Oh sure, you can spend $10 on coffee but can't give me any money."  How's that for a sense of entitlement!!

Curious to hear if panhandling is a large issue in other areas. I hear that Oregon, Portland and Eugene in particular are worse than most other places...so I'm somewhat desensitized, just rolling my eyes at anyone who wants to try to pull a guilt trip like that on me.  I saw someone lie about their dog dying, only to see that dog with another homeless person awhile later (same old dude, same corner, every day after work, with this big white fluffy dog sleeping at his feet every day). I originally believed it and was all "Awww poor pups" didn't give anything to him though because I wasn't in the mood. Mentioned it to my BF "The dog probably isn't dead." "You're horrible..." Nope, he's not, he was right. I hate when he's right about that kind of stuff.

Then we have cities cracking down, if you are caught handing anything to someone outside your vehicle while on a road, even stopped at a stop sign or light, the police will give you a $50 ticket for it. So that has moved people to parking lots instead of freeway on and off ramps. Even more uncomfortable for me to try to avoid interacting with them.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #5476 on: Today at 01:53:37 PM »
^There was a police officer who dressed up as a homeless person who ticketed the people who gave him money!

Toronto used to have a really bad panhandler problem - anyone remember the squeegee kids?  They'd clean your windshield without asking and expect payment.  And were vandalizing cars where the driver didn't pony up.  The police cracked down on that pretty quickly.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5477 on: Today at 01:59:46 PM »
Homelessness and panhandling is a huge thing in Florida.

Saturday, I saw a woman I have seen regularly panhandling on the corner, and I recognized her due to a particular hair color and style, and her specific disability (missing half of her leg), and saw that she was in her nice SUV, with her nice smart phone. Not my place to judge, but she won't be getting any funds from me.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

magicdomino

Team HoundMom

« Reply #5479 on: Today at 02:22:55 PM »
Downtown Toronto actually isn't as bad as it used to be.  When I was 15 (so the summer of 1989) my mom let me go down to the Eaton Centre by myself for the day.  This was back when Yonge/Dundas was all sketchy, full of arcades, head shops, poster stores, etc. wow it was so much fun.   I swear every time I turned around someone was asking me for money.  "Street kids" as well as adults.  Looking back I'm like "I was a CHILD!  These grown adults were asking a 15 year old CHILD for money!!" 

There was a story going around Facebook or something years ago about this little boy who spent his allowance on gloves for "the homeless man that asks me for a quarter every day."  Everyone was all like "Aw, that child has so much compassion" where I'm like "Whoa whoa whoa - why is a grown adult asking a child for money?!!" 

malfoyfan13

« Reply #5480 on: Today at 02:25:24 PM »
I'm in southern California.  Panhandling is rampant here.  Every freeway exit.  Every shopping center exit.  Every parking lot.  It is getting impossible to go anywhere without being accosted by someone asking for money.  I've noticed that when it's getting closer to a holiday like July 4, there are a bunch of guys in wheelchairs claiming to be vets who are panhandling in place of the usual ones.  And maybe they ARE vets.  But it's a little suspicious that the only time I see them asking for a handout is around Memorial Day, July 4, etc.  The rest of the time, it's a single guy, a single woman, sometimes a woman with a child.  There's also a woman who panhandles from the center island of an intersection, which my husband says is illegal.

My husband has a theory that many of the freeway exit panhandlers - who honestly do not look like homeless people at all - are actually out-of-work actors who have been recruited to be panhandlers.  Don't know if it's true.  It's just that we have actual homeless people around, who curiously do not panhandle, and the freeway/shopping center exit ones look way too clean and well-rested compared to the real homeless. 

I've noticed that some shopping centers are starting to crack down a bit, probably due to complaints from patrons.  But every time I see someone reach out of their car to hand them money I think, you're being scammed. 

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #5481 on: Today at 03:05:45 PM »
^There was a police officer who dressed up as a homeless person who ticketed the people who gave him money!

Toronto used to have a really bad panhandler problem - anyone remember the squeegee kids?  They'd clean your windshield without asking and expect payment.  And were vandalizing cars where the driver didn't pony up.  The police cracked down on that pretty quickly.

They had the problem in many heavily populated areas with the windshield washing scam going on. I remember it vividly in So-Cal as a kid when we were passing through. They were aggressive and then would start getting belligerent if you didn't pay them.

It also reminds me of when we were in Chicago and someone handed us a paper, thinking it was just another pamphlet, we took it without thinking and walked away. The guy chased us down because they were for purchase >_< Thankfully that guy wasn't mean about it, he was just like "Hey no, that's not what I meant, give it back if you don't want to buy it." 

rigs32

« Reply #5482 on: Today at 04:51:12 PM »
There's a man here who sits outside of games or concerts and plays an accordion. He used to sing songs, made up lyrics, etc. It was a joy to hear.

Over the last few years, he's gone downhill. It started with him playing lazy notes and asking for money. Now he sits with the accordion on his lap and asks for money in a much more manipulative way.

BUT up until recently, his car was much nicer than mine!  And he'd park wherever, causing issues in the winter. And he has a young (20s?) person along to keep an eye on him.

I wish the police would crack down on him now that he's harassing people and causing traffic issues rather than just being a busker.

MrTango

« Reply #5483 on: Today at 04:56:21 PM »
In my area, panhandlers are allowed to do their thing as long as they are not blocking vehicle or pedestrian traffic, and as long as they do not approach anyone directly (i.e. they can hold a sign, but they cannot verbally solicit donations).

I've heard that depending on where you set up for the day, it can be pretty lucrative, and of course it's straight cash, so there's no way to enforce tax laws on the money.