News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 02, 2015, 03:45:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hovering directly in front of product at the grocery. Rude?  (Read 2123 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Hovering directly in front of product at the grocery. Rude?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »
I don't understand. Why are people so terrified to speak to strangers that they would rather stand and glare at them until they move or come back later rather than take 5 seconds to say "excuse me"?

I don't get it, either.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Peppergirl

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
Did I miss something?  Did someone say they'd rather stand and glare at someone or come back rather than say 'excuse me'?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »
Did I miss something?  Did someone say they'd rather stand and glare at someone or come back rather than say 'excuse me'?

In the OP, she said she sometimes get dirty looks and sighs.

There are at least two stories about posters leaving and coming back later. One about blocking the carrots and another about the meat section. Of course it's not rude to leave and come back, but I (and others) are a bit puzzled why they didn't just say "excuse me" to the blockers.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 10:33:52 AM »
Sometimes I won't say 'Excuse me' if I also need to spend some time staring at labels, rather that being able to just reach in and grab something.  If that's the case, I might leave and come back a few minutes later.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »

In the OP, she said she sometimes get dirty looks and sighs.

There are at least two stories about posters leaving and coming back later. One about blocking the carrots and another about the meat section. Of course it's not rude to leave and come back, but I (and others) are a bit puzzled why they didn't just say "excuse me" to the blockers.

In my area, you stand and wait. When I've been in a rush and said, "Excuse me," and tried to move in to grab something, no one moves. They just glare at you. Weird, I know.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Peppergirl

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
I'm the OP. Speaking for myself only, the only time I double back is when it's an elderly person who I've possibly said 'excuse me' to, and they haven't heard me. 

I try to be kind and patient, because I'd want someone to be patient with my mom if she was hovering and couldn't hear the person trying to get past. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »
I'd rather the people off to the side than the ones who park their trolley in the middle of the aisle, inconveniencing everyone. Or the ones who shop side by side, talkingwhike pushing their trolleys.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
When I am the one standing there, studying, I try to be aware of people coming up so that I can get out of their way.

The only time I am irked by people in my way is if they are not shopping, but instead carrying on an unrelated conversation, totally unaware that they are not sitting at a table in a café, but blocking shoppers from getting things done.

There was one time when a woman was taking forever trying to figure out which item was the one she wanted.  Finally, I reached around her and got my item.  "Well!" she exclaimed.

I looked her in the eye and said, "Ma'am, I said 'Excuse me' three times."  I saw her realize it at that moment that it was not some disembodied voice saying Excuse me, but that it had been directed at her.  She grabbed up an item, said sorry, and left.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
Personally, I think it's fine to stop for a few minutes) to make your selection, or read the ingredients, etc. However, I think it's inconsiderate to linger for ages (20 minutes seems really excessive!) and generally be oblivious to anyone around you.

It's also very rude to respond with huffiness, dirty looks, and eye rolling, if someone politely says "Excuse me" and gets their item.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 12:16:35 AM »
If you really want to read labels, maybe go at a time that isn't as busy.  The store I went to this morning is open 24/7, and because it was supposed to be hot today I got up and went way earlier than I usually do.  The store wasn't nearly as crowded as it usually is even on weekdays.

In my case, I have to read the label of every single food item that has labels - every single time. Fortunately I can scan quickly for ingredients and allergy warnings. During the 90's I had too many trips to the ER because "safe" brands changed and now contained peanuts products. I don't take that chance any more. I biggest gripe is people making "yea it is still bad for you" snide remarks about candy or chips. I admit more than once I've responded by looking the joker in the eye and say -Just making sure it won't kill me by cutting off my airway and exploding my heart.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future