News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 03:00:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blackhead/Whitehead Removal Tools?  (Read 619 times)

Outdoor Girl

Blackhead/Whitehead Removal Tools?
« on: October 19, 2017, 08:32:54 AM »
Both DF and I end up with a fair number of blemishes and I got thinking that perhaps it would be best to use the proper removal tools to limit the damage to the surrounding tissue and to minimize infection risk, since good stainless tools will clean easily/disinfect with alcohol.  Or I can even boil them for sterilization.

Is there a brand name that you would recommend?  Or not recommend?

Once I get a brand name, I can search Canadian sites to see what I can find.  Probably Amazon would be a good bet?
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

Re: Blackhead/Whitehead Removal Tools?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
Both DF and I end up with a fair number of blemishes and I got thinking that perhaps it would be best to use the proper removal tools to limit the damage to the surrounding tissue and to minimize infection risk, since good stainless tools will clean easily/disinfect with alcohol.  Or I can even boil them for sterilization.

Is there a brand name that you would recommend?  Or not recommend?

Once I get a brand name, I can search Canadian sites to see what I can find.  Probably Amazon would be a good bet?

Before I try and remove zits, I use tea tree oil and zit cream. That combo works for about 90% of my blemishes.   

For those that don't go away, I have this comedone extractor  https://www.amazon.com/G%C3%BCzel-Beauty-Schamberg-Blackhead-Extractor

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
I use a clay-based face mask. Just a little bit on the zit or blackhead before bed and they're usually dried up by morning.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »
I'm really just looking for tool recommendations.  For a number of reasons, including severe skin allergies, I'm not willing to give creams and masks a try due to past experiences.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm really just looking for tool recommendations.  For a number of reasons, including severe skin allergies, I'm not willing to give creams and masks a try due to past experiences.

You can get a comedone extractor from Amazon.  You can pick one up at your local pharmacy or big box store as well.  It's not really about the brand name, but more about making sure you're using it properly.

There are many videos on youtube showing how to use one correctly. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
You can buy the kits off Amazon relatively cheap  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073FFPYR4?th=1

Also, I find using a plain white washcloth to gently exfoliate with a gentle cleanser like Cerave (or even plain water) can help remove the dead skin buildup that causes pimples to begin with. Also, if you have really bad issues with pimples, change your pillowcase every single day. If it's not too bad, try every other day. It's a bacteria breeding ground people seldom think about.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
I use a product called Enjo to exfoliate daily, with just water.  It works great on my face, for the most part.  But it is the pimples I get elsewhere that I need to get rid of in a better way.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
I use a product called Enjo to exfoliate daily, with just water.  It works great on my face, for the most part.  But it is the pimples I get elsewhere that I need to get rid of in a better way.

Do you exfoliate your body at least once or twice a week? Other things for you to think about... Do you sweat a lot at night? How often do you change your sheets, wash clothes/body puffs, and bath towels out? You may need to up the frequency of those change outs.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
I don't remember if you're in Ontario, but do you have a Shoppers Drugmart (or equivalent) near you? They have a few of those tools with all the tweezers and nail tools I think - as probably would any of the other large drugstores. The staff in the cosmetics section are usually pretty good and might be able to advise.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
I don't remember if you're in Ontario, but do you have a Shoppers Drugmart (or equivalent) near you? They have a few of those tools with all the tweezers and nail tools I think - as probably would any of the other large drugstores. The staff in the cosmetics section are usually pretty good and might be able to advise.

Perfect!  Thank you.
Ontario