Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 54011 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #765 on: August 30, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
I had an all white cat with green eyes who wasn't deaf.  Plenty of people insisted I was wrong even after I called to him and he came to me.

Well, you obviously taught your cat to lip read.
Why would a cat need to lip-read when they're telepathic?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #766 on: Yesterday at 05:15:31 AM »
is it ironic that the word "Spelling" in the thread title mistakenly has three l's instead of 2?
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #767 on: Yesterday at 06:13:10 AM »
We had our first overnight guests in the new house.

Our guests sent a Thank You card, which was very thoughtful.  It is also a great example of why you don't use quotation marks for emphasis:

We just wanted to say "Thanks" for the "hospitality" and we "love, love, love" your new house.

The first time I read it I was trying to figure out how I had offended them.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #768 on: Yesterday at 06:50:24 AM »
is it ironic that the word "Spelling" in the thread title mistakenly has three l's instead of 2?

I believe it's deliberate :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #769 on: Yesterday at 07:22:41 AM »
We had our first overnight guests in the new house.

Our guests sent a Thank You card, which was very thoughtful.  It is also a great example of why you don't use quotation marks for emphasis:

We just wanted to say "Thanks" for the "hospitality" and we "love, love, love" your new house.

The first time I read it I was trying to figure out how I had offended them.

That just made me crack up laughing.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #770 on: Yesterday at 08:43:23 AM »
I may have ranted on this subject mentioned it before, but transitive verbs are not the same as intransitive verbs. I passed an advertisement today for mattresses, saying something like 'lay down and try!' I know this is acceptable in US English but it's wrong here in the UK!

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #771 on: Yesterday at 12:51:23 PM »
I may have ranted on this subject mentioned it before, but transitive verbs are not the same as intransitive verbs. I passed an advertisement today for mattresses, saying something like 'lay down and try!' I know this is acceptable in US English but it's wrong here in the UK!

I don't think it's correct in the US, either. Common usage, though, that will probably become entrenched and acceptable.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

turtleIScream

« Reply #772 on: Yesterday at 03:31:27 PM »

Nope, not acceptable here, or at least it shouldn't be.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #773 on: Yesterday at 07:17:07 PM »

Nope, not acceptable here, or at least it shouldn't be.

And "lie" is not only grammatically correct, but it makes a nice little rhyme. Have a "try lie." (Years ago I also heard a mattress store inviting customers to take a "test rest.")

I think I first saw "ridic" in an Archie comic book in the 1960s, so it's not new. It may be making a comeback because of textspeak ("txtspk"?).

I used to work for a store that sold its own house brand of bread. One style was called Old Fashion. What, it's made out of poodle skirts and flapper dresses?

Re closed-caption errors: My favorite was on some sports talk show where they were discussing figure skater Ekaterina Gordeeva's book about her late husband/skating partner, "My Sergei." On the captioning it came out "Mice Are gay."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #774 on: Yesterday at 10:51:47 PM »
Diffuse instead of defuse. No...you defuse a bomb. You don't diffuse it. The latter is an extremely bad idea.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #775 on: Today at 03:45:29 AM »
Here's a new one:

If you are calling in back up or support you are calling in the cavalry.

If you are calling in the calvary, you're asking for a small hill in/near Jerusalem.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #776 on: Today at 04:44:57 AM »
And "lie" is not only grammatically correct, but it makes a nice little rhyme. Have a "try lie." (Years ago I also heard a mattress store inviting customers to take a "test rest.")

That could also perhaps be a colloquial term for perjury -- the telling of an untruth when someone was being tried in court  :) ...