Author Topic: Changing a Network Name and Password  (Read 541 times)

Amara

Changing a Network Name and Password
« on: September 13, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
In the thread that is currently discussing the OP's concern about her neighbors not paying the agreed-upon portion of the wi-fi bill, a lot of people suggested changing the password and the network name.

I didn't want to derail that thread so I'd like to ask if those knowledgeable can tell me how to do that. I have a MacBook Pro and would like to change both if possible. Do I need to do something with the WEP key? (And what is it?) Where do I go to change these two things? I am on Verizon if that matters. I have tried to find how to change it several times but cannot.

nayberry

Re: Changing a Network Name and Password
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
Best thing to do is search for the make/model of your router.

I know on mine I go to a "hub management"page(I use bt so have a hub and a router thingummy) by clicking on the hub icon in my connections window. But that's on a PC.

All else fails check verizons web page and see if they have a live help for configuring it

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
Search "verizon internet change SSID".  You'll need your router model number most likely. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Did you get an instruction booklet with your router? Because a lot of them have instructions in there how to do it. Some even have it printed on an info sticker underneath the device itself - ours has the default username and password, as well as the address you need to go to in your browser to change these settings.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Bobbie

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »
We've had three "new" routers in the last two years - rather than wait for Comcast to get someone over here, I go swap out the "obsolete" router or the one that quit working and pick up the "new" one myself at one of their store fronts (we live not too far from one of the stores, as the highway runs).

Then I come home, fasten the incoming Comcast feed (tv type cable), hook up the Ethernet cables to the computers & printer with a "hard wired" connection, plug in the power cord, and call Comcast to get the thing "activated" if needed.

Then I go in and make the changes to the broadcast ID & set up a password - last year one of the routers came with the previous user's complete network settings still "saved" to it - I found out how to run a factory reset to go back to "like new" even if it wasn't "new" (instruction manual missing - found a way to download them from our ISP's website or you can get the make & model # off the bottom and go looking that way).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
OP here. Thank you all so much! :) Mine is not generic by any means but I think it's time to change both.