News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 25, 2017, 07:29:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 737891 times)

Lindenharp

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #3435 on: Yesterday at 09:21:48 AM »
Old penny coins were indeed bigger than 2p pieces; they look huge now!  I can just about remember farthings being legal tender... (Pre- decimalisation UK, February 1971. 4 farthings to a penny, 12 pennies to a shilling, 20 shillings to the pound sterling, and 21 shillings to a guinea)

"Our Hearts Were Young and gay" was a memoir of two young American women touring Europe in the 1920s. When they arrived at their London hotel, one asked her friend why the bellhop who brought up their luggage had looked so unhappy. "Didn't you tip him?"

The indignant reply was, "Yes! I gave him the biggest coin I had!"

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #3436 on: Yesterday at 06:34:06 PM »
  He goes into unneeded detail, such as the brand name of most every product used;

Spotted Pony

I have read a number of books that do this and it is always irritating.  The worst one I ever read (this was back in the 80s) started out by following a woman as she got out of bed, took a shower, got dressed, went to the kitchen, made breakfast, ate breakfast, left the house to go to her car, got in the car and drove to work.

Every step of the way was product placement. He named the manufacturers of the bed, bedding, flooring, furniture, sink, mirror, toilet, shower head, shampoo, make up (each one), soap, towels, clothing (each piece),  just everything that she touched, used or looked at.  I don't even remember what book it was - it was so irritating that I just donated it to a book sale.