News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 12:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4285316 times)

Reika

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11280 on: January 09, 2018, 05:13:39 AM »
I had a coworker who called in sick either Friday or Monday - EVERY WEEK!.   When she finally got fired, she was completely gob smacked and couldn't understand why that was a problem

My employer is pretty lenient with occurrences, for example being late is considered a partial and not a full, etc. They'll generally look over a small amount if you're generally on time. At 5 occurrences in a 12 month time (and they drop off once the one year mark for that event rolls around) you get a verbal warning. 6 you get written up and put on a plan where if you get another occurrence, you're gone.

One former co-worker of mine abused that privilege pretty badly, to the point of getting written up with action plan.  And yes, she did get ultimately fired for the situation.

I didn't quite agree with my management on this part, but they did end up using her as an example of PD and that they mean what they say. Because of her, and another person with similar timing issues, the call center was no longer lenient about being a couple of minutes late.

Word got back to her about being used as an example and she tried to file a slander suit against them. It didn't work out for her because they had reams of documentation about all the warnings she'd been given.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11281 on: January 09, 2018, 09:22:12 AM »
I had a coworker who called in sick either Friday or Monday - EVERY WEEK!.   When she finally got fired, she was completely gob smacked and couldn't understand why that was a problem

My employer is pretty lenient with occurrences, for example being late is considered a partial and not a full, etc. They'll generally look over a small amount if you're generally on time. At 5 occurrences in a 12 month time (and they drop off once the one year mark for that event rolls around) you get a verbal warning. 6 you get written up and put on a plan where if you get another occurrence, you're gone.

One former co-worker of mine abused that privilege pretty badly, to the point of getting written up with action plan.  And yes, she did get ultimately fired for the situation.

This is how my company operates, but you get 3 occurrences for 5 days, within a 12 month period. And even if you do go over that, if you have a valid excuse, and haven't abused it, you're ok. Like the time I was in the hospital for a week, having been off prior to that, so while my boss had to "counsel" me on that, he said he knew why I had been out.

DanaJ

« Reply #11282 on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
I once had a coworker who would spend a lot of time on payday Thursdays talking loudly about how she "just knew" she was going to be ill on Friday, then call in 'sick' on Friday. I'm willing to bet she felt sick all right... hangovers will do that to you!

She didi it wrong. My high school best friend would show up Friday morning, but without any make-up on (and she was a touch goth-like, so typically applied make-up with a trowel). Then she'd say she felt kind of ill. Horrified school staff would take one look at her pasty face, natural face and send her home.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #11283 on: January 09, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
Edit: Post not needed / removed. Please PM me if you have questions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:06:12 AM by AngelicGamer »

AngelicGamer

« Reply #11284 on: January 09, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »

So you are looking for a nickname for a new coworker just in case he commits PD?

ETA: I am a Florida resident. I find it really appalling that a public servant comes on EHell and posts these things. If there are so many problems in your government niche, I would like to hear how you escalate these problems to the proper people, and if not solved promptly, you need be go over their heads! This really bothers me. If you spent as much time doing something about these slugs, instead of posting stories about them and asking for cutesy nicknames , I would be very happy. There are laws that will protect you, as I'm sure you know. It totally galls me to see my states government put up for ridicule.

She's done it before and we usually only get stories that have a bit of what's happening in them to the person who caused PD. We had step by step updates with Byte and his issues, along with Pitaya (who I am hoping is now reformed and it stuck), and others. So I have no issue with it and we're only getting a slice of what's really going on. From everything I've read of Chipmonkey's posts here, she knows how to go up the chain of command and isn't afraid to do so. However, not everyone can get kicked out of government positions as fast as you think they should be, which she's also commented on before too. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:07:23 AM by AngelicGamer »

rain

« Reply #11285 on: January 09, 2018, 06:14:40 PM »
When posters have disagreements please notify admin, not get in a "cold war"

Back to Darwinism....a teacher at my son's school was told (twice) not to bypass the internet block...he did it a third time....and lost his job
In search of a tag line

Peppergirl

« Reply #11286 on: January 09, 2018, 06:26:43 PM »
Guys, please. This is a great thread and I'd hate to see it shut down from sniping at one another. 

Peppergirl

« Reply #11287 on: January 09, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »

Back to Darwinism....a teacher at my son's school was told (twice) not to bypass the internet block...he did it a third time....and lost his job

Good Lord!  :o :o

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11288 on: January 09, 2018, 06:33:23 PM »

Good Lord!  :o :o

Now that is just brain hurty

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11289 on: January 09, 2018, 09:53:08 PM »
A youth recreational basketball team sent their players out in jerseys bearing racial slurs, a sexual phrase & (per a team parent's Facebook post) a phrase used to make fun of the mentally handicapped.  :o

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ohio-youth-team-kicked-rec-league-offensive-jerseys-185930020.html

Kiwipinball

« Reply #11290 on: January 09, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
A youth recreational basketball team sent their players out in jerseys bearing racial slurs, a sexual phrase & (per a team parent's Facebook post) a phrase used to make fun of the mentally handicapped.  :o

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ohio-youth-team-kicked-rec-league-offensive-jerseys-185930020.html

I cannot believe adults okayed those jerseys. I can understand teenagers being young and dumb and thinking it's funny, but how the adults didn't put a stop to it is incredible.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #11291 on: January 09, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »

I cannot believe adults okayed those jerseys. I can understand teenagers being young and dumb and thinking it's funny, but how the adults didn't put a stop to it is incredible.

The person in charge of the team said that he offered to cover up the wording on the jerseys.  I'm like...why was that wording on the jerseys to begin with? 

Reika

« Reply #11292 on: January 10, 2018, 05:43:01 AM »

The person in charge of the team said that he offered to cover up the wording on the jerseys.  I'm like...why was that wording on the jerseys to begin with?

Yeah, that was the mind boggling part.

Twik

« Reply #11293 on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »

Someone sponsored this team -  custom jerseys aren't free, and I'm sure there were fees to join the league. It would be *really* interesting to know who the organizers were. Racist group recruiting teens perhaps?
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Hmmmmm

« Reply #11294 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »

Someone sponsored this team -  custom jerseys aren't free, and I'm sure there were fees to join the league. It would be *really* interesting to know who the organizers were. Racist group recruiting teens perhaps?

My experience with recreational leagues like this is kid's sign up to join the league and parents pay the league a fee. The league recruits coaches as volunteers for as many teams as they need for the number of kids that sign up. Then the coaches "draft" kids onto their teams... usually there is agreement amongst the coaches to distribute the high and lower performers amongst the teams and they try to keep kids from the same school together. Sponsors are recruited by the league and are just assigned a team unless a family member has a kid on a team and they agree to sponsor that specific team. I don't see how this could be a racist group recruitment activity.

But I'm just shocked that no one in the League put a stop to this. When we were involved every team name (so no redundancy, copyright infringement issues, or stupidity like this) and jersey design had to be approved by the league. I hope there is more investigation into the coach and the league who agreed to this team name and to allowing the use of racial slurs as player names.